Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 03:49 PM
brohrs
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain tires?

Are there such a thing as rain tires for our bikes? In S.F. Calif here all the intersections have epoxy coatings which means if you take more than a 20 degree turn in the rain you are having asphalt for lunch.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Rain tires?

The Dunlops that come with the bike are designed to channel water away from the tire where it meets the highway. I know of no specific rain tire. So far the Dunlops have worked well, but I don't recall being subjected to the conditions you are talking about.

Regards,

Bill

Old 10-27-2005, 08:46 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Metzelers are superior in the rain, in the dry, in gravel, in rain grooves..... can you tell I like Metzelers?...lol

Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I read an article in a bike magazine about tires. I forget which mag, sorry.

The article stated motorcycle tires maintain 90% of their traction on wet pavement. That's wet pavement, NOT wet painted road surfaces or standing puddles of water. The article said the design of motorcycle tires, including the softness for better traction, allowed the tires to grip a wet road better than car tires. That's one of the reasons motorcycle tires don't get anywhere close to car tires in mileage.

1. Try not to stop on painted surfaces. Yes, this means your feet too!
2. Ride in the 'tire tracks' of other vehicles. Especially at intersections where car grease and oil coat the center of the lanes.
3. Ride slower in the rain.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Softail in 2007
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SportyReb

I read an article in a bike magazine about tires. I forget which mag, sorry.

The article stated motorcycle tires maintain 90% of their traction on wet pavement. That's wet pavement, NOT wet painted road surfaces or standing puddles of water. The article said the design of motorcycle tires, including the softness for better traction, allowed the tires to grip a wet road better than car tires. That's one of the reasons motorcycle tires don't get anywhere close to car tires in mileage.

1. Try not to stop on painted surfaces. Yes, this means your feet too!
2. Ride in the 'tire tracks' of other vehicles. Especially at intersections where car grease and oil coat the center of the lanes.
3. Ride slower in the rain.

I just so had to agree [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 PM
indyjeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been caught in the rain for so many years, I think I am afraid to even think about it.My rain skills currently do not exist. I better call a tow truck to come get me if / when it happens. lol

I remember when I was younger (with my 2nd bike) I slid through a stop sign, through the T intersection, over the curb, up into the wet grass, almost hit a tree, fish tailed it around for awhilein the wet grass until I got it almost stopped (like walking speed) and thendumped it. Whooops.....couldof been alot worse.....like a car or that tree

Old 12-27-2007, 01:29 PM
MosesJJN
Cruiser

It's not the rain I mind...it's the cagers who's limited visibility is even lower due to the rain, and the slick pavement makes it harder for you (and the cagers) to evade each other.

And some cagers drive all the faster and more dangerously...I guess their logic being wet roads are dangerous so gottaget home as fast as possible...

Old 12-27-2007, 02:51 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I do a lot ofmiles in the rain, and haverun the stock Dunlops on all my Harley's for years...

Summer, winter, dry, wet, they seem to handle it all.

They also have a tread compound that has a very good compromise for both long tread life and excellent traction.

Sure, you can purchase tires that are designed for specific road conditions, but after running Dunlop's for many hundred thousand miles I've found them to be a great "all around" tire.

I can't see any reason to use anything else.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:13 PM
hogsport
Road Master

I don't know about the epoxy coating, but I make a point to avoid stopping on the painted areas at intersections. Seems you have only a fraction of the traction. I did put Metz ME880 on the rear and notice much better wet traction on asphalt.
I do not lean in curves much in the rain though.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:22 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have actually seen car tires on a couple of bikes , only on the rear.

More surface material , on the back anyway.

Not so sure about this on curvy roads ...

Quick Reply: Rain tires?