Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Sportster REALLY the fastest HD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Mark Winchester
Banned
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Really??? I thought I was overestimating.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Ty Humburd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkayx
0-60 both the v-rod and the live wire are quicker the v-rod is the fastest hd the sportster this the 3rd quickest you can go to the web site zero to 60 times and compare all bikes 0- 60 times and 1/4 mile times
I can believe it, the v-rod has gone down in history as Harley’s fastest beast. But the Sportster is slowly losing its title. Which is just my opinion and beliefs. ( like everyone has their own outlook)
The reason I say that is because I’m a former Sportster owner, and they’ll always have a special place in my heart.. I love Sportsters!!

But my new 2020 Deluxe has 109 foot pounds of torque, with a lighter frame than the 2018 models - 200 some odd pounds lighter. At a total weight of 697 pounds.
Now, most riders might view a Deluxe as a beefy bike that looks slow and sluggish.

But the new 2020 models are no joke when it comes to performance.. the throttle response and torque will damn near toss a rider right off the seat, if they don’t have a tight grip. And I hate to say it, but it would embarrass my past Sportster. A person would have to ride both bikes, or own either of them to fully understand what I mean. Sure, bikes with the 114’s can get up and scoot.. but how heavy are they, and their frames?.. is what I’m curious to know.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:26 PM
mkayx
Road Captain
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty Humburd
I can believe it, the v-rod has gone down in history as Harley’s fastest beast. But the Sportster is slowly losing its title. Which is just my opinion and beliefs. ( like everyone has their own outlook)
The reason I say that is because I’m a former Sportster owner, and they’ll always have a special place in my heart.. I love Sportsters!!

But my new 2020 Deluxe has 109 foot pounds of torque, with a lighter frame than the 2018 models - 200 some odd pounds lighter. At a total weight of 697 pounds.
Now, most riders might view a Deluxe as a beefy bike that looks slow and sluggish.

But the new 2020 models are no joke when it comes to performance.. the throttle response and torque will damn near toss a rider right off the seat, if they don’t have a tight grip. And I hate to say it, but it would embarrass my past Sportster. A person would have to ride both bikes, or own either of them to fully understand what I mean. Sure, bikes with the 114’s can get up and scoot.. but how heavy are they, and their frames?.. is what I’m curious to know.
opinion and beliefs are not facts fact are facts. Fact no other hd but the v-rod does 143mph fact v-rod was the first 120hp stock hd the v-rod was heaveier then the sprtster but still takes 4.2 sec 0-60 the fastest v-rod was the destroyer but at 30k and not street legal only a few were sold

The following users liked this post:
Ty Humburd (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Mark Winchester
Banned
The following users liked this post:
Ty Humburd (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:54 PM
Mark Winchester
Banned

The 'DESTROYER'??? Now you've got my undivided & full attentuon. Continue.....

Old 11-12-2020, 09:16 PM
Mark Winchester
Banned
Old 11-12-2020, 09:19 PM
Ty Humburd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkayx
opinion and beliefs are not facts fact are facts. Fact no other hd but the v-rod does 143mph fact v-rod was the first 120hp stock hd the v-rod was heaveier then the sprtster but still takes 4.2 sec 0-60 the fastest v-rod was the destroyer but at 30k and not street legal only a few were sold
lol!! Mark, I’m not disagreeing.. I totally agree with you brother, but my comment wasn’t in regards to the v-rod.. it was pertaining to the Sportster, which is slowly losing its winning streak, as one of Harley’s fastest.. which is actually fact. Harley has made a few other models that are faster than sportsters. The part were I put (beliefs and opinion) was a personal difference between my past bike and my newer one. Which I’m intitled to for both. Plus, in understanding and wisdom, beliefs and can still be facts, if it’s the actual truth. Jus saying

Last edited by Ty Humburd; 11-12-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:28 AM
mkayx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ty Humburd
lol!! Mark, I’m not disagreeing.. I totally agree with you brother, but my comment wasn’t in regards to the v-rod.. it was pertaining to the Sportster, which is slowly losing its winning streak, as one of Harley’s fastest.. which is actually fact. Harley has made a few other models that are faster than sportsters. The part were I put (beliefs and opinion) was a personal difference between my past bike and my newer one. Which I’m intitled to for both. Plus, in understanding and wisdom, beliefs and can still be facts, if it’s the actual truth. Jus saying
i do not know who mark is, but you are trying to compare a 72 inch engine to a 114 inch the sportster 1200 evo is better then the 103 and 107engine in performance and for the moneyand when the new sportster comes out with the revoltion x engine which is a 1250cc and is a better performer then the evo and the 114ci engine the sportster will stay in 3rd in history unless hd manament scapes it like the v-rod

Old 11-13-2020, 04:56 AM
Mark Winchester
Banned

No way I'm trying to say the venerable Sportster will take a V-Rod. The bottom line IMO is as the originator of this thread said 12 freakin yrs ago...jt really doesn't matter. V-Rod, Softtail, Dyna, Sportster...these are what a HD is supposed to be.

Last edited by Mark Winchester; 11-13-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:17 AM
mkayx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mark Winchester
No way I'm trying to say the venerable Sportster will take a V-Rod. The bottom line IMO is as the originator of this thread said 12 freakin yrs ago...jt really doesn't matter. V-Rod, Softtail, Dyna, Sportster...these are what a HD is supposed to be.
the 1200 sportster was hd answer to yamaha virago 1100 the v-rod was to answer the v-max ysmahas roadstar was in answer to the roadking the sportster did its job the v-rod did not unseat the v-max but did beat the warrior 1700 (great
bike) the roadstar was alot more bang for the buck over the roadking. The destoryer was sub 8 sec 1/4mile if i remember as for fastest quickest there is a difference fastest referrs top top speed quickest will be 0-60 or 1/4 mile.
there is a point were it does get pointless take the kawie h2 220 stock top speed and stock over 200 hpthe yamaha r1 out performs in handling brakingand overall comtrolablity at high speed but only has 187hp and top speed of 190mph.
I speed all thime 90mph is my cruising speed have been to 178mph on the i-10 on a stage 4 bandit 1200s and a stage 4 kawie zx7rr (at one piont loosing my lic in 4 states) done sub 9 sec1/4 mile on nitro kawie zl900 road the darkside 245/45/17 car tire on a bike i have even taken my 40ft rv towing a 25ft trailer to max speed of 83mph (scary) so i lke to get down but the r1 is more then plenty for anything or anyone without ***** short commings

Quick Reply: Is the Sportster REALLY the fastest HD?