Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike on lift, jack failed so how to lower bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 AM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Zateeva
or my ole lady....she can man handle

gotta go
Whoa, officially scared of your ole lady now! LOL

Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 AM
elkk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a picture? Be sure to strap the bike to the arms before you pull the pin. I would be very careful that the bike doesn't just slam down to the ground . That is a possibility if the Jack has failed . I would call many friends over as possible to stand on either side of the bike to ensure that it doesn't fall.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,785 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Leave the safety pin in place, and remove the bottle jack from the lift by removing the pin at the top of the ram. Open the release valve, and force the ram back into the bottle by hand. Remove the bolts securing the jack to the base plate. Bring the jack to a bench, and perform a bleed procedure. Test it on something heavy. If it passes the test, reinstall, and procede as normal.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:23 PM
halfmt1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

OP, I'm wondering how this worked out? Did you get it down? Hello?

Old 06-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

I would try bleeding it as is first, since you have the safe pin in, open the (lower valve) and pump the handle, this can get air bubbles where they should be.
If that doesn't work add a couple ounces of fluid.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:54 AM
kuri77
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Can you put a bottle jack under the arms on some wood blocks, and try to raise it enough to release the pin?

John
That worked thanks

Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 AM
kuri77
Tourer

Originally Posted by Paintslinger16
Got a place above to hang a good set of come alongs? I messed up once and had to sling the bike up off the bike lift
I do but unfortunately it was in the other side of the garage.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM
kuri77
Tourer

Originally Posted by halfmt1
I believe I've had the type of lift you're having problems with. If the locking pin is supporting the bike you may have to remove the hydraulic bottle jack, retract the cylinder and add some oil.
Reinstall the bottle jack and see if that worked. if not you will need a replacement.

Is this the one you have?
Yep this is the one i have and adding oil didnt do anything unfortunately

Old 06-09-2019, 09:03 AM
kuri77
Tourer

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. Unfortunately after calling HF parts I found out they still sell the whole lift but you cant just buy a replacement jack. So I ended up replacing the jack only with one of their 4ton baby bottle jacks. Not enough extension even with the screw out top so I drilled a block of wood and mounted that under the jack on to the plate. Now it works.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 AM
kuri77
Tourer

Thanks for including the manual stuff. This jack is like 15 years old so I dont remember if i did the air purge or not, but it's worked fine for all this time. Going to try it doing the air purge and see if that was the problem though. Be nice to have a spare jack. So far it only cost me $14 for a new bottle jack.

Originally Posted by Imold
Did you do the air purge in the instruction manual when you got the jack? I'd recommend strapping the bike down tight to the arms, not the frame, before doing anything. I've used a car jack under a more conventional style motorcycle jack and managed to get it down, but if yours is at the top position, doubt any car jack would reach it. I have one of those, too, and never thought about getting stuck in the up position, that could be a real pita, especially since that jack won't roll with weight on it. Worst case, you should be able to get a replacement bottle at Harbor Freight. First time I picked a bike up to the top on one of those, it sure looked scary, but when you get used to it, nice to do a clutch change sitting on a stool with the clutch at chest height, just perfect.

I tried using a lift once without any prep and it wouldn't work till I did, hopefully this is all you need to do.

This is from the manual - you can download it at:
https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...9999/99887.pdf

IMPORTANT: After all assembly procedures are performed the hydraulic system of the Motorcycle Lift MUST be bled and filled with hydraulic oil (not included). To do so: a. Remove the Oil Filler Plug. (See Figure G.) b. With the Oil Plug (38A) removed, use one foot to step on and keep the Arm Lift (13) assembly down, while you quickly pump the Handle (18) ten times. This will bring all of the air out of the system. c. Continue pumping until no more air bubbles appear in the Oil Filler Receptacle. d. Fill to the top of the Oil Filler Receptacle with hydraulic oil. e. Replace the Oil Plug (38A).
For technical questions, please call 1-800-444-3353

DON'T fill with the jack extended, take one end loose first (But only if it's sitting on the safety pin). Needs to be in the compressed position anyway to bleed the air.

Quick Reply: bike on lift, jack failed so how to lower bike