Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway stability

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:24 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelby Coffelt
Same bike in the pics yessir. It's certainly a different bike than I came from which was a rocket/naked, so that was clearly much better at higher speeds. I too am getting away from going fast. I tried to preface the thread with "short highway blasts", which is exactly what I meant. Just to jet by a semi or some traffic, I don't like being stuck in a herd. I'm not dragging it or on a quest for it's maximum speed.

I'm asking others with similar bikes/builds if that's how these normally feel at that speed, and I consistently have been hearing that it isn't really a common feeling. I'm also accustom to being buffeted around (previous bike was a naked).

I certainly love the bike, it's phenomenal and put a grin on my face from ear to ear, definitely getting more smiles per gallon than I did with the previous one.

Appreciate everyone's input, thank you all, loving the community.
I've just ended a 20 year spell of riding fully faired GSXR 1100,s but this just takes me further back in time to when I used to scream around on a GSX 1100 or a Z1000 . Just gotta toughen up again !

Old 06-07-2019, 11:40 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

About 450 miles now. I don't subscribe tot that break in method, I'm more of a use the rev range in moderation method kind of guy. I'll check the fasteners, any idea of posted torque specs as a resource?
To each his own on break-in method. Break-in is the first 500 miles.

Here is a sticky that has some info.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nce-guide.html

I no longer have a manual so if you have one, refer to Table 1-2 for a list of critical fasteners (your 2019 manual may be different)

To help fork stability, you may want to consider installing a fork brace.

grbrown's post is something to consider (not about the ear plugs although a good suggestion)....if the wind causes you place a death grip on the handlebars and it is causing you to wobble, your fork will also wobble logically. I remember occasionally encountering strong wind that blows your bike side to side and being practically blown off my seat. However, after installing a fairing, I never encountered that issue again.

Does the wobble occur anytime you go that speed regardless of where? The reason I ask is that the road condition can also cause wobble. I have a freeway near me that has some squiggly/wavy lines cut into the concrete and that causes my bike to wobble whenever I ride that route.

Last edited by hscic; 06-07-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:57 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

About 450 miles now. I don't subscribe tot that break in method, I'm more of a use the rev range in moderation method kind of guy. I'll check the fasteners, any idea of posted torque specs as a resource?
Oh, I see the problem.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by lewk
Ehhh???

Are you saying wearing earplugs will remove the bike wobble??? Sir Graham did you forget your meds this morning?!
lewk,

what I'm saying is that from personal experience the rider can introduce that wobble! Been there and put it right many times over the years. The cause in this case may well be something else, but it costs a pair of cheap foam ear-plugs to find out. I've been wearing them since the '70s! High bars are particularly susceptible to rider-induced wobble.

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 PM
thomassa3
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting thread here...I figured I'd add my .02 and experience...whether it helps any, who knows

My 2016 48 EVERY NOW AND THEN will get some wobble/instability and high enough interstate speeds...I just attribute it to being a small bike not really meant for that type of riding. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I consider it.

Weirdly enough though, this seems to have DECREASED in occurrence and intensity since swapping from a 7" rise set up to a 14" rise set up.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Iron Jack
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the pointers.

I've subsequently checked the manual and increased rear spring pre-load for my weight and brought tire pressure up slightly, it was a tiny bit low. Ran it to the dealer today and the guy ended up checking out the Steering Stem bearings where the fork and triple tree meet. It was within spec, but at the bottom of the spec for tightness. He increased it to the max spec and I've just gotten back from an hour jaunt in mixed riding and am happy to report that it seems to have corrected the issue I was experiencing. There is defiantly still wind blast and I can notice that a heavier bike would be better for prolonged highway, but that's a really small amount of my riding. Re-torqueing critical fasteners to spec for the win, Thanks hscic.

The following 2 users liked this post by Iron Jack:
hscic (06-07-2019), pugmommie (06-16-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:02 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Glad you got it resolved....your issue could have been many things so we were all guessing as to the most logical issue to address, including me.

I would suggest you check your battery or put it on a tender and fully charge it as I have seen recently several batteries go dead on new bikes.

Last edited by hscic; 06-07-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:10 PM
SwSlaton
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a hammered 97 and I know that little wobble you are talking about. Have you found anything?. Any updates? I have gone thru mine front to back. My next try is to drop the apes.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:38 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by SwSlaton
Mine is a hammered 97 and I know that little wobble you are talking about. Have you found anything?. Any updates? I have gone thru mine front to back. My next try is to drop the apes.
Literally two posts above yours.