Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't shift

So I accidently laid down my 2014 iron 883 going about 3-5 mph. Bent the licence plate a bit and the LEDs on the front with neutral and stuff wasn't working. I did get them working. But when I go to shift it does not seem to wanna shift at all. I did at one point manage to get it into neutral to get it home. Then it was shifting really hard and loud. When trying to go up it doesn't seem to shift at all and can just go down but seems to not shift occasionally it will shift but sounds very hard. But the shift left and peg seem loose I laid it down on the left side tranny side. Was wet and on gravel and only scartch I could find was the bent licence plate. Could that just need tightened or should I bring it into a Harley dealer.

Last edited by Jesse Guerndt; 05-30-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 148 Posts

at 3-5 mph......you dropped it, not layed it down.......scratches are nothing.....other things hit the ground hard i would assume

did you try and hold it up when it happened, or did all the weight hit the ground

Old 05-31-2019, 12:42 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Disconnect the forward control and try shifting with the transmission end only by hand, if it shifts good your problem is with the forward control, if it doesn't then the shift shaft is bent or something inside the cover like a shift pawl is damaged.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:06 PM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear
Default Thank you.

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Disconnect the forward control and try shifting with the transmission end only by hand, if it shifts good your problem is with the forward control, if it doesn't then the shift shaft is bent or something inside the cover like a shift pawl is damaged.

Thank you I think my clutch pedal is a little bent. But the rod connecting the clutch petal to the tranny got pushed back a bit and happened to be striped to hell. But 9 hours later and 3 guys we got it drilled out and I moved it forward into a different groove. But I still need to.replace it. It took alot of.hits from the drills but the new bolts held tight on a few runs but any idea on just the name of this part. Where it connects to the grooves coming out of the tranny.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:22 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts
Old 05-31-2019, 09:05 PM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear

No it's number 8 it's a forward one. Straight up.and down. Maybe I said the wrong part.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:30 PM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I was unable to find the correct part.
Does anyone have any idea of the instrument wiring harness for this model (68813-07) but doesn't seem to be for my model. But when It tipped all the instrument lights stopped working. IE. Neutral,turn signal, High low beams. Just the indicator lights.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:45 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

With the greatest of respect , if you do not yet know the difference between a gear lever and a clutch lever , you would be wise to take the bike to an HD dealership as you originally suggested .

The following users liked this post:
CoolBreeze3646 (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Midpegs
With the greatest of respect , if you do not yet know the difference between a gear lever and a clutch lever , you would be wise to take the bike to an HD dealership as you originally suggested .
A. Not helpful, but I managed to fix that problem with not much help. But thanks that did.
B. There was a time you did not yet as well. It's called getting in things tinkering, playing, upgrading, and fixing. It's how you learn things or go to school on it. But, I appreciate your comment. I found the wiring diagram already for the bike and narrowed down what I need to look for.

Last edited by Jesse Guerndt; 06-02-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Guerndt
A. Not helpful, but I managed to fix that problem with not much help. But thanks that did.
B. There was a time you did not yet as well. It's called getting in things tinkering, playing, upgrading, and fixing. It's how you learn things or go to school on it. But, I appreciate your comment. I found the wiring diagram already for the bike and narrowed down what I need to look for.
I'm sorry if I appear to have offended you , that was not my intention at all . To be honest though , I have never referred to a gear lever ( shifter ) as a clutch pedal . This is because at the age of 58 I have never owned or driven a car . I suppose if you devote your life to motorcycles it's easy to forget that there are others for whom a bike is just another leisure persuit. My intention was to recommend that your interests might be best served by placing your bike in the hands of qualified Harley Davidson technicians but I could have chosen my words more carefully . All the best, hope you fixed it ok .

Quick Reply: Won't shift