Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midpegs
I'm sorry if I appear to have offended you , that was not my intention at all . To be honest though , I have never referred to a gear lever ( shifter ) as a clutch pedal . This is because at the age of 58 I have never owned or driven a car . I suppose if you devote your life to motorcycles it's easy to forget that there are others for whom a bike is just another leisure persuit. My intention was to recommend that your interests might be best served by placing your bike in the hands of qualified Harley Davidson technicians but I could have chosen my words more carefully . All the best, hope you fixed it ok .
Thank you I was not meant to be disrespectful. I'm simple just new into the biking world and haven't adapted my terminology and correct words yet. But from most expanded diagrams I have been able to track most of the stuff I need. Still having the indicator issue I'm thinking I need a new harness.

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:10 PM
BoozeBeast
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The shaft coming out of the tranny is called a shifter shaft or shifting shaft, depending on what part of the country you're in. If you stripped the splines on that shaft, honestly you should take it to the dealership. However, there are aftermarket shift linkage kits that are specifically designed for shifter shafts that have been stripped. I installed several of these kits when I worked as a service tech at a Harley Dealership. As far as the lights and indicators, you should check the wire connections inside the button assembly on the left handlebar. Even a lay over can cause wires inside the button assembly to come loose if the handlebars are turned, and the shock of a straight hit can jar it enough to break the thin soldering used on the buttons and switches. If all of the wiring connections are good, you should take it to a dealership as they can hook it up to the computer and find any open or shorted connections without having to tear the harness down.

The following users liked this post:
Jesse Guerndt (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BoozeBeast
The shaft coming out of the tranny is called a shifter shaft or shifting shaft, depending on what part of the country you're in. If you stripped the splines on that shaft, honestly you should take it to the dealership. However, there are aftermarket shift linkage kits that are specifically designed for shifter shafts that have been stripped. I installed several of these kits when I worked as a service tech at a Harley Dealership. As far as the lights and indicators, you should check the wire connections inside the button assembly on the left handlebar. Even a lay over can cause wires inside the button assembly to come loose if the handlebars are turned, and the shock of a straight hit can jar it enough to break the thin soldering used on the buttons and switches. If all of the wiring connections are good, you should take it to a dealership as they can hook it up to the computer and find any open or shorted connections without having to tear the harness down.
Thank you so much I didn't strip the splines but I was worried it was threaded on the shifter shaft but didn't look when I put the new bolts in .I am unable to forward shift lever all the ones I see are mid, but I just found the dealership print out so now I have a part no..34670-06.Thank you I will check the assembly and see if anything broke or came loose because. It was working on and off if I pushed a certain way. Everything works even the speedometer lights just no indicator lights. I'll try and find the expanded diagram for the handbars nothing should fall out I'm hoping hhah.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:57 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,124 Likes on 7,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Guerndt
Thank you so much I didn't strip the splines but I was worried it was threaded on the shifter shaft but didn't look when I put the new bolts in .I am unable to forward shift lever all the ones I see are mid, but I just found the dealership print out so now I have a part no..34670-06.Thank you I will check the assembly and see if anything broke or came loose because. It was working on and off if I pushed a certain way. Everything works even the speedometer lights just no indicator lights. I'll try and find the expanded diagram for the handbars nothing should fall out I'm hoping hhah.

Make sure you check all the fuses etc as one of those could have come loose, i think they are still on the left side under the cover, your owners manual will give you the location.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:54 PM
BoozeBeast
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem. Even though I don't wrench professionally anymore, I do most of my own work and I've had this issue in the past. I ended up warping my shift linkage enough that it wouldn't shift out of neutral...it was in neutral when I decided to lay it over in the driveway. The linkage bent inward towards the case, which put too much pressure on the shifter shaft. Ended up having to replace the seals as well.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BoozeBeast
No problem. Even though I don't wrench professionally anymore, I do most of my own work and I've had this issue in the past. I ended up warping my shift linkage enough that it wouldn't shift out of neutral...it was in neutral when I decided to lay it over in the driveway. The linkage bent inward towards the case, which put too much pressure on the shifter shaft. Ended up having to replace the seals as well.
Is the shift shaft threaded at all? All the splindles seems find but since my.bolt broke and then my easy out tip broke off inside drilling it out I lost threads but was not sure if there was any on the shaft it's self or just the lever.

I bet that ran a ton of money to fix. I know Harley parts are insane and I live in a small town think we may have one junk yard.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
Make sure you check all the fuses etc as one of those could have come loose, i think they are still on the left side under the cover, your owners manual will give you the location.
I did find out if I'm in gear 1 or 2 and not started my own oil light will come on. Not sure how or if this helps me at all. Turn signals would be the most important ones to have.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 246 Posts

The shaft should just be grooved, not threaded. The bolt should go through the top of the shift lever, pass through the groove in the shaft, and thread into the bottom of the shift lever.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by whylee
The shaft should just be grooved, not threaded. The bolt should go through the top of the shift lever, pass through the groove in the shaft, and thread into the bottom of the shift lever.
Alright thank you! Still trying to figure out this indicator bar

Old 06-10-2019, 10:57 PM
Jesse Guerndt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
Checked all the fuses. The weird thing when I have it in gear and off my oil light will work on the indicator light then if I hit a turn signal it will flash and turn off when I turn it on. Once I turn the bike on still no indicator lights working. So I'm guessing a return got damaged. I'm trying to locate the connector. I've seen there is a soldered wire and there's well I can check.