Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB Charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:56 AM
NHIron1200
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USB Charger

Hello All,

I've seen various posts about what to get to set up a USB charger on your bike. However looking for some more details on how to route everything. I have an Iron 1200. It has a SAE quick disconnect tail on the left side under the battery cover. It is low and faces backwards. I have a Batter Tender USB that I was planning to mount inside the front faring. I want to zip tie and route a SAE extension cord from the pigtail to the charger. However most of the good points I see are on the right hand side of the bike. I know to keep the wires away from the engine but looking for advice on best way to do so. Any photos and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 965 Posts

I purchased a battery tender usb adapter and then ran a 6" (I believe) cable to my handlebars. My cable ran up the left of my bike. Plenty of stuff to zip tie to and be far enough away from the motor. Only need a few inches clearance. I don't have pics.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

I would just use the SAE plug for what it is for, charging the battery with a trickle charger and buy a new usb socket that you can wire in your headlight. I always
do it like that, take the power for the new usb in the headligt, easy and no extra wires to put on the bike because everything is already in the front.

The picture is just an example, there is a lot of choice in this USB sockets.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:42 AM
NHIron1200
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the pieces to run from the SAE pigtail. However I like the idea of it being wired to something else to avoid the chance of draining the battery. I will look into how to hardwire the charger.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:48 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

If you really want to use your USB battery tender, you can also simply buy a wired SAE plug and connect it to the headlight. You can still place an extra fuse in between if you want.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:37 AM
COironbobber
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used my quick connect and the HD usb cable on my bike on longer trips but now that I have done some work I am adding a longer quick connect cable and running under my tank so its upfront but conceiled and out of the way. There are a lot of options and just depends on how you want to do it. Below are some examples and what I am using and will run the cables tomorrow so I can post some pics after.

HD USB
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...to-usb-adapter

SAE to 2 pin
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-01-2019, 02:23 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

lift the tank and run the wiring underneath in with the main harness

Old 06-03-2019, 07:05 PM
COironbobber
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey NHIron1200, I finally finished up the small projects on my bike to get it ready for the summer, I just posted the pics of my USB install underneath my gas tank. A couple of thoughts, I have a tank lift so it makes it easy to route the wires and I used a 2ft quick connect cord and it stretched just right to be hidden but you might consider a bit longer to have room to play with so maybe like 2 1/2 ft? Also I couldn't remember if my HD USB adapter was broken or not and I had a battery tender one, so I used that one. Anyways here is a link to my thread with pics: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-bobber-2.html

Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

I'd lift the tank and simply run it under the tank. You can zip tie the cable to the frame

For mine I normally run a tank bag so I just route the wire into the bag and toss my phone in there. I am getting a handlebar mount for my phone so I can have traffic info when needed and will probably simply run the wires under the tank bag.

I use the SAE connector because I already have a connectors for heated gear, jump starting the bike (SAE adapter on it), and two GPS units.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:54 PM
nathan-hd48
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is what I used on my 2014 Forty-Eight.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ide-usb-outlet

It was pretty easy to install. I had a 1.5" lift on the tank already so getting the additional wired tucked wasn't difficult. Ran it right to left to the battery side and looped it through the frame. Attached the ends to the battery leads and it was up and running. I didn't have to install anything else. But, I do have a Anti-gravity lithium battery installed which can handle a bit more of the load.

Quick Reply: USB Charger