Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did HD F with the nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Garbock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did HD F with the nightster?

Just a small rant, but why did they change the side mounted license plate on the nightster? I am getting a Nightster next month and I guess I'll be trying to find an 07 now. Also the rear fender is extended stealing some of it's chopped look. Anyone else a little upset about this? Also on the hd website if you goto the 07 bikes and do the walkaround if you click the 360 degree view its shows it with the 08 side mounted license plate WTF? Just my 2 cents!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Why did HD F with the nightster?

I'm sure that change was due to some Nightster owners getting tickets for improper tag placement. The side mount isn't exactly 50 state legal.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Nightster 13
Tourer

I have a 07 nightster, olive green and I agree, the side plate and the chopped fender made me fall for that bike. Its a shame if they have to have the rear mounted plate, but I am sure if you have to gt an 08, there will prob be accessories that allow you to switch it to the side mount.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:57 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Garbock-

I have no idea what you are talking about. The side mounted license plate still exists on the 08 nightster. In fact, it lists "side mounted license plate" first in "key features". Also, not one of the pics show anything different than a side mounted license plate. And if there's more rear fender now than in the 07's, I can't tell the difference. Are you sure you are looking at the right bike??

Rob

Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Dremel
Advanced

Please post link

I looked on the HD site and both the 2007 amd 2008 showed side mounted plates

Old 07-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Garbock

Just a small rant, but why did they change the side mounted license plate on the nightster? I am getting a Nightster next month and I guess I'll be trying to find an 07 now. Also the rear fender is extended stealing some of it's chopped look. Anyone else a little upset about this? Also on the hd website if you goto the 07 bikes and do the walkaround if you click the 360 degree view its shows it with the 08 side mounted license plate WTF? Just my 2 cents!
Because everyone liked it. Now they can sell a kit to put it back. It's all about the green stuff.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it's still there!!!! for pete's sake, just look it up on harleydavidson.com

Again, the side mounted license plate still exists!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the fender mount vs. side mount plate change is only for overseas models where the side mount is not legal.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Garbock
Intermediate

I am not saying that the side mount is gone from the 08. In fact my post said nothing about the side mounted plate being removed (clean off glasses). The positioning of the side mounted plate has been moved higher. If you look at the 360 view of the 07 Nightster they have changed the bike to the new 08 position. It's like they don't want people to see the lower positioning from the 07 Nightster anymore.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: capttawes

I believe the fender mount vs. side mount plate change is only for overseas models where the side mount is not legal.
That may be true. I do know of a couple of tickets issued in the states for improper tag placement on the Nightster. But, just because some officer issued a ticket, doesn't necessarily mean it's not legal.

Anyway, here is a link that will show the picture that stirred up this conversation.

http://www.box.net/shared/tjuvmyyybz

Click on the folder to open the Technical info on the Sportster, and you will see a picture the with relocated plate holder.

Quick Reply: Why did HD F with the nightster?