Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking About Buying 72 Ironhead

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 AM
SportsterBobbie
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Buying 72 Ironhead

Hey all:

New to the forum but not to Sportsters. This week I check a 1972 Iron Head that a guy wants to sell for $3,000

It had been sitting for a month or so in the garage before its last start when I went to look at and the guy told me that before that is sat for about 8 months. It has the kickstart of course but the guy has installed an electric start. So after charging battery the bike fired right up on the first try. Guy said that it fired right up 8 months ago as well. Engine sounded solid, straight pipes were sweet, and after it warmed up and adjusting the carb it idle like a big purring tiger. It has some pretty solid chrome extras - nice chrome oil tank, nice SS breather, new chrome grips, straight bars, and single mirror. Rest of the chrome on the bike was is pretty good shape, very little rust and no flaking. Tires went new, but not real used and no dry rot.

First thing I notice before getting on the bike was that the rear brake controls (left side) were way out of position, like straight up 90 degrees from the foot rest. Figured, that this was pretty simple adjustment but odd place for them. Guy had real no explanation as to how they got like. Either way, did not seem like a big deal to me just a bit suicidal.

So I took the bike for spin. Took it pretty slow just to get a feel for it you know. First thing i noticed was a super hard neutral - like impossible. I had to come to a stop and to find neutral took me gently working the control with my hand and even that was a biatch. Yea a hard neutral is not uncommon for these bikes but from my limited knowledge and in the opinion of my buddy who was with me this was going to have to be repaired.

Owner of the bike said that he had forgotten about the hard neutral and he noticed it 8 months ago and a month ago but that he had not gotten around to fixing because he had been sick (reason why his is selling the bike actually). Owner said that he believed it would be a simple repair. My buddy has far more knowledge and skill on working on harleys than me and he stated that the hard neutral could be a few things going from a simple adjustment to bigger repair. If something bigger in the transmission my buddy thought that conservatively I would be looking at about $100 in parts and if he did the work - about $300 is his time.

I mean other than the hard neutral and the brake pedal placement, the bike ran rock solid and drove sweet. And the 3K for the bike seems like a good deal and I think given the hard neutral I could pick it up for like $2700, but my gut is giving my pause. I plan on riding this bike almost every day - about 80 miles a week - not alot bc I work close to home but it will be everyday.

What does the forum think?

Run away or pretty good deal?

Let me add that I completely understand that this bike will need tender loving and I have no problem turning wrenches on my bike and keeping up solid maintenance but as a major mechanical repair is needed (this may or may not be) but I tend to have my buddy do the work.

Last edited by SportsterBobbie; 05-24-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:20 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

For that kind of money you could certainly get a much newer Sportster but of course it wouldn't have the character of a '72 Ironhead.
Same could be said about a newer car compared to a classic, most people choose the newer vehicle for the comfort, convenience and reliability but there is always the guy who wants the classic and is willing to put up with the quirks of keeping an old vehicle running...only you can determine if you want to be "that guy" or not.

The following 2 users liked this post by HOTLAP:
hammer6315 (05-25-2019), SportsterBobbie (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:33 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Make sure the vin on the motor and frame match and same as the title...otherwise you need to ask a lot more questions as to what has been done to the bike and if the owner has the documentation for the motor something like this...

VIN on the frame is the legal ID on the bike and must match the title Electric start is a good thing unless you are looking for a factory original restoration. If you can wrench, those things you found can probably be repaired. If your brake lever is out of place, also check for bent frame. I sold my 80 original XLH1000 for $3500 so $3000 seem reasonable especially if it is running good and not leaking oil. That being said, not sure why you would want an old bike as it take a lot of TLC especially ironheads.....why not just buy a fuel injected twin cam?

For me, I love old bikes so I now have a 71 shovelhead, however it had a 96 stroker dual plugs with S&S Super B...hence the MSO above....but loved my 2011 XL1200L as it was my daily rider, easily customizable, easy to work on, and dependable has heck.

Last edited by hscic; 05-24-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:05 PM
SportsterBobbie
Stage III

Thanks for the great advice, will definitely check over the numbers.

Not that I think of it, I did see a small oil leak below the bike. Not real big but visible.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Jak_Rak
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't even consider it for a daily. As a cool weekend cruiser or a bar bike, yes. But as an every day ride? Not my first pick, or even my third pick. Trust your gut on this one. I'd take that $3k and put it towards something newer and less labor intensive. There are so many ready-to-ride Sportsters out there that would fit your daily use schemes much better than a 37 year old Ironhead. It's definitely a cool bike, but probably not at all what you need.

Again, just my 2 pennies. And in case you think I'm just spoiled by fuel injection and more modern suspension (and I am), I drove my stock '53 Ford F-100 as a daily because it was cool. That routine got old quickly.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jak_Rak:
load97 (05-30-2019), Midpegs (05-25-2019), pgrchaplain (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM
SportsterBobbie
Stage III

yea man that pretty much summed up "being on the fence" feeling for me.

Sometimes what we want is not what we need.

One problem I have is I am in the Caribbean on an island so my choices in bikes is severely limited. Don't know anyone personally in the states anymore that ride or would have any idea what to look for in checking out a bike for me.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:00 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBobbie

One problem I have is I am in the Caribbean on an island

How about a swap?, you come up to the tundra and live in my house and take my '07 Roadster and I'll move into your place on a caribbean island and walk to the store in my flip flops! (I'll even throw in my wife to sweeten the deal).

Old 05-24-2019, 04:23 PM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 554 Likes on 262 Posts

This is one of the Bikes from my misspent youth. Back then you needed to be part mechanic and part Rider to even have a motorcycle, because it's going to break down. If you want a daily Rider, by something newer.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,404 Likes on 860 Posts

Things to consider . . . it's 47 years old. Are you an EXPERT Vintage Harley mechanic? You already know there is an issue finding neutral. Are you ready to sink $3000 into unknown problems that will be out of your technical knowledge? Consider replacement parts and shipping cost. Consider a Factory Service Manual AND Factory Parts Manual to keep it running. Anybody where you live know anything about Ironhead Sportsters? IF you have to ask strangers on a Forum for an opinion, you are in deep ****. Good Luck.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:07 AM
Jak_Rak
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jak_Rak
There are so many ready-to-ride Sportsters out there that would fit your daily use schemes much better than a 37 year old Ironhead.
Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
Things to consider . . . it's 47 years old.
Yeah...I can't do basic subtraction at all, apparently. My grade school math teacher is rolling in her grave.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Buying 72 Ironhead