Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket ignition module installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:38 PM
Ckjardine
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket ignition module installation

Sorry if this sounds confusing...

This is on a 2003 sportster 883C. so today I installed a new ignition module (Accel #35496). I used and re-pinned the existing Deutch connector. I hooked it up to the pink (coil, rear spark plug side), purple (voes), and white (cool, front spark plug side) wires. There are no wires from the ignition module that connect to the stock black and stock green wires. There was no wire to stock ground wire from the ignition module (because the module is grounded through the housing) so I’m guess I’m just going to cap that one off for potential future use. The other (green) is the wire that goes to my Bank angle sensor. but there is no bank angle sensor wire from my ignition module.

what can I do with that green wire? Cap that off as well?! It started just fine without it, I just don’t want to run into any problems in the future.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 AM
exsporty
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy some Deutsch empty terminal white seal plugs like in your connector's #3 spot. The green wire is for a tach. The blue is for a single fire ignition coil. You can fold those back into your ignition module wire loom, and tape off the end of the loom near the Deutsch connector for later use. Leave the green and black as is on the bike side of the harness. I believe on your module side of the connector it would now be. 1-W , 2 Purple, 3 empty plugged, 4 pink, 5 empty plugged, 6 empty plugged.

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (09-29-2020)
Old 05-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Ckjardine
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by exsporty
Buy some Deutsch empty terminal white seal plugs like in your connector's #3 spot. The green wire is for a tach. The blue is for a single fire ignition coil. You can fold those back into your ignition module wire loom, and tape off the end of the loom near the Deutsch connector for later use. Leave the green and black as is on the bike side of the harness. I believe on your module side of the connector it would now be. 1-W , 2 Purple, 3 empty plugged, 4 pink, 5 empty plugged, 6 empty plugged.
Awesome thank you. That is what I have it hooked up as. I’m having a hell of a time trying to find the empty terminal plugs in a store, so I’ll just have to order some off the good ol internet.

Thank you for clearing that all up for me, I just wanted to make sure everything was correct. I was mostly worried about the green wire on the bike side not being hooked up to anything. I just didn’t want to burn something up or run into any problems if the bank angle sensor does engage for some reason.

Thank you again!!

Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 PM
exsporty
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think your BAS is now nonfunctional.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Ckjardine
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by exsporty
I think your BAS is now nonfunctional.
Sweet, even better. I mean, kind of a good safety feature of the bike I guess, but not a necessary one in my book. Maybe I’ll try to unplug it just to make sure it’s not functional.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:35 PM
Big Buddha Mike
Stage I

Originally Posted by Ckjardine
Sorry if this sounds confusing...

This is on a 2003 sportster 883C. so today I installed a new ignition module (Accel #35496). I used and re-pinned the existing Deutch connector. I hooked it up to the pink (coil, rear spark plug side), purple (voes), and white (cool, front spark plug side) wires. There are no wires from the ignition module that connect to the stock black and stock green wires. There was no wire to stock ground wire from the ignition module (because the module is grounded through the housing) so I’m guess I’m just going to cap that one off for potential future use. The other (green) is the wire that goes to my Bank angle sensor. but there is no bank angle sensor wire from my ignition module.

what can I do with that green wire? Cap that off as well?! It started just fine without it, I just don’t want to run into any problems in the future.
I blow my ignition fuse with this setup. I cant figure out what im doing wrong