Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer's Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buyer's Remorse?

I've had my 1200C for over a week now, and put 530 miles on it. I ride it everywhere I can. And yet...

I went into the dealership this afternoon for a minute, and I took another look at the Dynas.

*sigh*

Now, I'm kinda wishing I bought one of them, instead. They've got a Street Bob for $14.3k (I live in CA, so the sticker prices are a bit higher). It sure feels nice when you sit on it.

They've also got a used 2005 Road King Police with 30k miles on it--with the department's radio rack still installed on the back, and still painted black & white--for $11,900. I kinda like it, too.

Oh, well, I guess it's too late to worry about it now.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Superstylin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buyer's Remorse?

Dale - I know I'm eventually going to get a Street Bob, but I'm going to get some good mileage out of my sporty first. Before I got my bike, I hadn't ridden for 14 years and I know I definately made the right decision in getting my 883 before I go on to something bigger. I think there's a good chance I may have dropped something heavier by now, but my 883 is easy enough to handle and I have been able to avoid disaster. I think you were in a similar position to me in that you also hadn't ridden for a long time. Don't worry about what you didn't buy now - enjoy what you did buy, and when you're ready, do the trade. Buyers remorse? No way bud - I am loving my 883 C!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well seeing that you pretty much made the bike a bagger, you should get what you want. I'm a kinda free spirit and don't want all that crap on my bike. Nothing wrong with that, just a personal preference.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Be careful or you will end up like me where you need to have at least one from each 'family of bikes'.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Superstylin
Cruiser

I can see how that could happen OFG!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 AM
hawaiibound
Tourer

HEY, I'll take your "Buyer's Remorse" ANYDAY!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Yup.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Be careful or you will end up like me where you need to have at least one from each 'family of bikes'.

That sounds like the saniest solution to me.

WHy compromise? Get one of each!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 AM
XL1200N
Road Master

I stopped going to the dealership, that way it's out of sight out of mind. I came very close to getting the Night-Rod Special when I bought the 1200N. When I go to the dealer, I keep looking over my shoulder at it. I'm very Happy with what I have, I'm on 2 wheels and it's a Harley!

Brian

Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

Murphy's Law: You always find the great deals AFTER you've bought something else. But think about this: Could you really have afforded the Dyna? Would you really have wanted a used,hard-riddenpolice model for more than $10k? Do you really think you could have done better or just as well on a heavier bike with taller handlebars starting out againafter all these years? And finally (this waspart of the kicker in my own first bike purchase as well), If you waited till you could afford the Dyna, would you be riding today?

I got my current ride on a whim, actually. My criteria was low seat height I can flat-foot(I'm a small dude), relatively lightweight (ease of maneuvering and learning), powerful enough to go 75 mph all day long but not enough power so I'd get into trouble being a newbie, inexpensive, and reliable. My metric is every bit of all that, and I made no mistake getting it. But now, I'm looking for something with a little more....um...."oomph"! So I had a set of new criteria formy next bike, keeping in mind with how I normally ride. Only the Harley Sportster Lowoffers me what I will use the bike forthe vast majority of the time. I need a maneuverable bike for tight spotsand plenty oftorque for highway on ramps. I also need it to get good fuel economy and be reliable. And bevery close to$10K sticker price. If I have a good Harley experience, my third bike could verywell be a Softail. But if I waited on the Softail, I might not ever get around to it...

Sorry for the long post, but my point is you thought about what you got, and you got what you got because you could get it when you got it.....got it? So, it's better to be riding today, than postponing it for a tomorrow that may never get here. You got the right bike at the right time. Ride it, enjoy it...know it, take care of it...pay it off. Then start saving your pennies for a Street Bob, or any of the other Dyna models that come out in a year or three. Oh, and btw, I read your blog...the 1200L I rented smoothed out NICELY at 70mph...no vibration whatever at that speed! Find your particular bike's sweet spot....you'll love it!

Teek

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse?