Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life Threatening Issue...Pls Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Shanoor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life Threatening Issue...Pls Help!

Howdy!

I have a serious electrical issue (or what I assume is electrical) with my 2007 XLSportster 883 Low, and would really really appreciate some help.A few months ago my bike just completely shut off while riding (no electrical power or nothing), luckily there was nobody behind me so I pulled over to the side. When I tried turning the key over and over to start...there was just no sign of power at all.
Then all of a sudden when I turned the key one more time...voila, I got all the electrical to work and I was back on my way home.

Now I faced the same issue after a few weeks after that, and I was told to try and put some electrical adhesive on all the cables connecting the battery. I did that and she started on the first try after that fix. But, after 2 weeks...I fell into the same stupid and annoying issue on the road and nearly got myself killed. No power what so ever when I turn the key over. Then I did the same fix again and it worked...again, but just like last time, it lasted for no longer than 2 weeks. I have done the same fix and she turns over and everything, but as you can see, I no longer trust riding my own bike, all due to this stupid electrical issue that just kills all of my electrical power out of nowhere even if I am riding. Could not find anything on the internet for this.

Please, Please give me some advice on how to resolve this issue.

Thank You so very much for taking the time.

Have a super fantastic day!

: )

Last edited by Shanoor; 05-06-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Hard to read.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 148 Posts

i had a similar issue........the white wire on my ignition coil was loose and would lose connectivity and bike would stall out.......i crimped it down and no problems since

not saying its your issue, something to look at and im sure others will chime in

also check both ends of battery cables for corrosion

oh, and welcome to HDF

Old 05-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Shanoor
1st Gear

Thank You. That definitely was one of my suspicions. Will look into it right now. Dont know why I havent thought about using a forum, but better late than never i guess. Really diggin your 02 with the white wall tires btw. Ride it like you stole it.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks.............and lots of good people here, and tons of info, good luck

The following users liked this post:
Shanoor (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:52 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

'07's were bad for corrosion in the fuse box that causes all kinds of electrical gremlins, try removing all fuses and the two black relays and check for corrosion, I used one of those cardboard nail files to clean the contacts inside the fuse box and installed new fuses with di-electric grease and cleaned the tabs on the two relays and have had no problems since.
The other thing is to remove your main battery ground wire where it connects to the engine above the transmission area, clean both the wire end and the post and put di-electric grease and reinstall, that has been known to cure some intermittent lack of power problems.

The following users liked this post:
Shanoor (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Shanoor
1st Gear

Just checked the fuses and relays and found that greenish lookin snot you mentioned. Cleaned it all off with a metal brush and put em back in. The problem now is that I cant really know if I fixed it 100%. The electricals work for a while then shut off completely when I had the problem. Gonna get a multimeter and check everything I can. Thanks a lot for the advice.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Shanoor
1st Gear

Found a bunch of nasty looking brown goo around the ends of the fuses...especially around the relays. Is that something I should completely clean out or what? Don't really know how I'm gonna get the rest the goo that's inside the holes for the relays though.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:29 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If you remove the big BUS fuse then you can spray electrical contact cleaner in there, then follow up with Q tips or a rag draped over the end of a small flat screw driver...repeat until it's nice and clean in there then reassemble with new fuses and di-electric grease. If the tabs on the realays cant be cleaned nicely replace those too.
Be careful you don't open up the sockets though or your fuses and relays won't make a good contact.

Last edited by HOTLAP; 05-06-2019 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOTLAP:
Dan89FLSTC (05-06-2019), Shanoor (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

Does the bike have a security system?

The reason I ask, is that if there is a security system, with a siren, I think it would go off if the battery connection was interrupted between the battery and the alarm.

If the problem occurs again, read the voltage at each fuse.

If the ignition switch is bad, you will still read voltage at the Battery fuse and the ECM fuse, the rest will be zero v.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-06-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Shanoor
1st Gear

She doesn't have a security system. Gonna check all the voltage once I get my hands on a multimeter. Thank You!

Quick Reply: Life Threatening Issue...Pls Help!