Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start again at 4500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 AM
dirico1266
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start again at 4500 miles

Hello all,

As you remember I broke down the first time when my brand new 2007xl broke down at 2000 miles on it. It was in the shop for nearly 14 days as the Fuel regulator and fuel filter were replaced.

Now the bike has 4500 miles on it. I was in the middle of conneticut which was 90 miles from home. Stopped for a break and then it did not start back up. No lights, horn or anything. Totally Dead.

2 1/2 hours later HOG towed it back to the harley dealership and needless to say I told them I don't want the sportster anymore. This bike has been too inconsistant and will need another one.

Why is this happining to this model? Did I just buy a bad bike? What would you get if this happened to you?

Thanks all...

Old 07-08-2007, 08:05 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike won't start again at 4500 miles

My guess is you have a loose wire or a defective battery.I wouldn't count on getting a new bike out of the deal.Two repairs won't get you the lemon law especially if the two failures are unrelated.If it were a safety item you may have a leg to stand on but a no start can't get you hurt.If it stalled all the time you would have a case.One thing to remember if they do agree to give you a new bike it will not be an even up swap.You will have to pay for wear and tear etc.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 AM
King Kobra
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: diablo666

My guess is you have a loose wire or a defective battery.I wouldn't count on getting a new bike out of the deal.Two repairs won't get you the lemon law especially if the two failures are unrelated.If it were a safety item you may have a leg to stand on but a no start can't get you hurt.If it stalled all the time you would have a case.One thing to remember if they do agree to give you a new bike it will not be an even up swap.You will have to pay for wear and tear etc.
Aguy I work with had an 07 Electra Glide that had various problems (at leasta couple that required shop time and parts in the few months he has had it) He had his third incident that left him dead on the road yesterday. He was ticked when he took it in and he called me last night and told me he went into the dealership (not even the one that he purchased it from) and he said there was a Harley Rep there. I assume a headquarters rep or something as I really am not not sure what that means as I will have to get more details on that part whenI speak with him again. Anyways he say the guy said we will buy it back pick anything else you want out. He picks out a decked out Fat Boy off the floor and walks out with only paying them $432.00 Not a bad dealIMO. I am sure this was an isolated incident and once I find out what "Harley Rep" he was talking about I will let you know. Perhaps the dealer was already in trouble about something else. Who knows?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:44 PM
diablo666
Road Master

Three repairs equals a possible buyback not two repairs.It also depends on the type of repairs needed and if they concerned the same area of repair.Let me know what your freind says maybe I will take mine back for a $400 trade.I can make something up.It wasn't a free exchange however and situations may offer varying results.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 AM
dirico1266
Tourer

Alright, i called the stealer this morning to make sure that the bike got there ok after being towed.

He said he put the key in and it started right up. It must have been a loose connection under the seat. With the towing it must have made the reconection of something..

Anyway, i will probably get into something a tad bigger myself.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:08 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: dirico1266

Alright, i called the stealer this morning to make sure that the bike got there ok after being towed.

He said he put the key in and it started right up. It must have been a loose connection under the seat. With the towing it must have made the reconection of something..

Anyway, i will probably get into something a tad bigger myself.
Seems to me i have read numerous post about electrical gremlins.......And most have been associated with either a loose battery cable or a bad electrical connection under the seat.....Probably be a good idea for all of us to lift the old seat and give a good inspection of connectors etc.....Never hurts to do a litlle preventive maintenance inspection.....Especially on a new bike.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 AM
BeerDaddy
Intermediate

I had the same type problem on my 06 Rk. Bad starts then all electrical going out. Popped the seat checked the battery cables... Worked fine (lucky). I would definitely make sure you have a couple tools to pop seat and tighten the battery cables and also some spare fuse's just in case. This could save some time waiting for HOG to show up for a tow.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 AM
zigster
Advanced

ive had to tighten my battery cable 2 times in 5000 miles

Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 PM
dirico1266
Tourer

OK, so I went to the stealer this morning and upgraded my bike.

I owed 8200 on mine and they bought that for what I owed because of the problems.

I ended up buying the dyna street bob for 12k....

I hope I don't have the same luck with this bike.

Thanks all

Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice switch. By the way my wife had similar issues with her '07 XL1200L. We found a loose connection one the ground. So far no issue. It did take some tracing but the factory only finger tighened the connection.

Mark

Quick Reply: Bike won't start again at 4500 miles