Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 1200S brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Mumblemouth
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sportster 1200S brake lines

Hey y’all. Looking to put some taller bars on my 98 sporty S. I’ve been looking for bike specific extended brake lines for the dual disks. No luck..would any of you happen to know if extended lines for another bike will work? I’ve attached some links to two sets as an example. Thanks!

https://hillcountrycustomcycles.com/...dual-disc.html

https://www.partsgiant.com/p338002-d...SABEgI6SfD_BwE

Old 03-31-2019, 08:50 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Hi Mumble, welcome to the forum! Coincidentally I'm also looking for SS braided lines for my '99 1200-S. I'm just looking for stock lengths though. Here are 2 links I recently received from another forum member. They have stock sets, and maybe they can customize a set with the lengths you need.

Good luck! Whereabouts are ya in ATL?

http://www.helperformance.us/hel-bra...1999-2001.html

https://us.goodridge.com/performance-motorcycle

Here are 3 threads related to the Sport models. I thought you'd like these for your archives. Post up some shots of your bike in the 1200-S owners thread below!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...rformance.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-s-riders.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-and-pads.html

Old 03-31-2019, 09:19 AM
Mumblemouth
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! I appreciate the links. I’m technically in East Point..not sure if your familiar.

So are you not sure if any of lines in the links I posted would be compatible? I’m kinda thinking why not, unless the lowers are way long...

Old 03-31-2019, 10:25 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mumblemouth
Thanks! I appreciate the links. I’m technically in East Point..not sure if your familiar.

So are you not sure if any of lines in the links I posted would be compatible? I’m kinda thinking why not, unless the lowers are way long...

Sorry I didn't get far enough to tell if the lines in your links will work; I'm not that seasoned in brake line replacing. Hopefully you'll find the ones you need. I'd call a company's support line and have them help figure out what you need. East Point, yup. Near the airport; my 2nd home. I'm up in Acworth.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:04 AM
LocoLocal
Tourer
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 2002 1200S.

I replaced my bars last fall. I went with kits from Magnum Shielding, and I strongly recommend doing the same - it's just too easy not to. You will need to purchase both the upper and lower brake line portions on account of our dual disc brakes.

Here is the link to Magnum Shielding lines for our bikes: https://www.magnumshielding.com/inde...=4&bike_id=631. That is for black lines, you can change the color in the upper left corner.

@Mumblemouth our stock bars have a height/rise of 4.5". I believe the stock upper line is 15", but @Magnum Shielding will know for sure; they are incredibly helpful. Anyways, subtract 4.5" inches from the height of your new bars, and that delta is approximately the length you will want. For instance, if your bars are 8" tall, order a +4 kit.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by LocoLocal; 04-01-2019 at 08:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Magnum Shielding (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:57 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LocoLocal
I have a 2002 1200S. I replaced my bars last fall. I went with kits from Magnum Shielding, and I strongly recommend doing the same - it's just too easy not to. You will need to purchase both the upper and lower brake line portions on account of our dual disc brakes.
Local, did you also do the rear line? I'll be doing my lines soon, front & rear, and wondering if it was a PITA to do the rear and fish the hard line from left to right to get it to the master cylinder. As well as the brake light switch, how was that to deal with? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 AM
LocoLocal
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Local, did you also do the rear line? I'll be doing my lines soon, front & rear, and wondering if it was a PITA to do the rear and fish the hard line from left to right to get it to the master cylinder. As well as the brake light switch, how was that to deal with? Thanks!
I didn't do the rear line (yet). I am trying to figure out which route I am going with forward controls before I do that. I may be going with Softail forwards which relocate the master cylinder, requiring a new, longer rear brake line, so I am holding off for now. It does look like a PITA to do, although my perception was that the Magnum Shielding lines were relatively malleable and would be able to do route to the rear. But, again, I haven't tried so I couldn't say for sure. If you are referring to the front brake light switch, I guess I was lucky in that I didn't have any issues. I just kept everything assembled and together as well I could.

Last edited by LocoLocal; 04-01-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:49 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LocoLocal
I didn't do the rear line (yet). I am trying to figure out which route I am going with forward controls before I do that. I may be going with Softail forwards which relocate the master cylinder, requiring a new, longer rear brake line, so I am holding off for now. It does look like a PITA to do, although my perception was that the Magnum Shielding lines were relatively malleable and would be able to do route to the rear. But, again, I haven't tried so I couldn't say for sure. If you are referring to the front brake light switch, I guess I was lucky in that I didn't have any issues. I just kept everything assembled and together as well I could.
OK thanks. Actually I was referring to the rear brake light switch, which could be a PITA because it's not easily accessible. Once I get going with this I'll post up some info on how the install went. I'm hoping to have everything ordered this week and get the lines installed in the next few weeks. I'm doing new tires, new brake pads, and cleaning the calipers at the same, so I'm coming up with a game plan right now.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM
LocoLocal
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikeBel
OK thanks. Actually I was referring to the rear brake light switch, which could be a PITA because it's not easily accessible. Once I get going with this I'll post up some info on how the install went. I'm hoping to have everything ordered this week and get the lines installed in the next few weeks. I'm doing new tires, new brake pads, and cleaning the calipers at the same, so I'm coming up with a game plan right now.
Nope, haven't buggered that one up yet. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how it goes, as I will probably need the aid of experience when the times comes!

The following users liked this post:
MikeBel (04-01-2019)