Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jet kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jet kit

Okay guys I just got my jet kit in the mail and it says the I should go in from the underside of the carb because it is easie. The installaion directions say that I should stay out of the top of the carb becaue the slide diapram can be extremely difficult to reinstall without splitting or pinching the rubber. I have never been into a carb, so I am going in blindly. I am askin for some avice or tips, please help me before I make mistakes.

when the directions tell me to "drill out the silver plug that covers the idle mixture screw, and use a sheet metal screw to lock into the plug and pull it out, I get a little concerned.

also I am putting on forward controls next week, any advice?

also, how do I get the stock flanges off the header to reuse them?

Old 07-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: jet kit

I thought I couldn't do it either.But it was pretty easy.The drilling out of the screw was real easy.It came out very easy.Just take your time and it will be fine.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
eggroll
Road Master

You'll need to pull off (or cut off) your stock mufflers then slip the flanges over the end of the pipe.

Where'd you get your jet kit? Ebay? $$?

Good luck, brudda!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:07 PM
kk0210
Cruiser

There is a lot of great information here on the forum so read it and follow it and you will be ok. It isn't necessary to open the top of the carb for what you want to accomplish. An extra set of hands is always helpful if you have someone to help you. I agree with the take your time advice for sure.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This can be done with the carb on the bike. Or so I've read on here before, I suggest you take the carb off.

Here are a couple of good articles on this. I had never done any real carb work either, and was very aprehensive about taking a drill to the carb. It will be ok.

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...r-jetting.html

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...arburetor.html

Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The drilling was the easiest part.The drill went right in the plug and spun it out in like 3 turns.You will need to atleast losen the carb to get to the bottom of it.The instructions that ****** has are the ones I used.https://www.hdforums.com/m_190110/tm.htm.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 AM
rbcss
Tourer

just drill slowly, the plug is real soft metal and if you go to hard you will drive your drill into the screw. just the tip of the drill should drill into the plug. some guys put a wad of tape around the drill bit so they won't go to far.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 AM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer

Okay guys thanks, I got the jet kit for $18 dollars from ebay. now when that plug is pulled out and all the wok is finished, do you replug it with a new plug, or just leave it?

now someone said to:

"You'll need to pull off (or cut off) your stock mufflers then slip the flanges over the end of the pipe."

what exactlydoes this mean? I know the flanges have to come off the stock mufflers, so I have no problem doing what it takes to make that happen, but then how do you get those flanges on the new pipes? from what I gather the new pipe diameter will be much larger, so how will they fit?

thanks in advance!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM
rbcss
Tourer

just throw that old plug, no need to replug it. (i don't think you can buy one if you wanted to) your new pipe should fit on to your old pipes. no need to cut them they should slip right off. your might want to hit the joint with a pb blaster or break a way.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Header pipe flanges, there's just a split retainer ring holding them on the end of the pipe, slide the flange back, pop the ring off, and flanges slide right off. New pipes should have the same retaining groove for the split ring, or they'll come with their own flanges..........Otherwise you probly got the wrong pipes for your bike.

The carb stuff is simple, just read through Rahlows link that someone else posted.

Quick Reply: jet kit