Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

venting your crank case

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:20 PM
rbcss
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default venting your crank case

has anyone vented thier crank case? there a good artical on xl forums in the bottom end posts. I have the same bike he has and don't have the problem he has yet, but if you read all his post he put on a heck of more miles than I do.( I would do a link,but i'm not very good at links) and so far it's working great for him. it's a good read if your loosing oil.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: venting your crank case

I am not using oil but am getting some on the filter. I saw that post and am going to do it with some changes. I am going to disconnect the hose from the crank case to oil tank and put in a pcv valve on the engine side. Here is where I am doing it different; I am not using a tee to the oil tank that will just vent to the air, I dont want blow by in there. Also I will block the breather bolts on the rocker boxes since it will breath through the bottom. The pcv valve will create a vacuum in the crankcase so there will be no leaks. I plan on doing this tomorrow if Neinfeldt in Wisconsin Rapids has a pcv. The ironheads breath through a bottom end breather timed with the oil pump and this is similar but better since the pcv will be more air tight.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:27 PM
quig
Tourer

Had to order the valve but tried an auto pcv. Went for about 30 miles and noticed the oil is about 20deg cooler. I hit 110 and cruised about 65 so it wasnt babying it. My temporary job cost $10 and the valve I ordered was 30. Well worth the cost to keep oil out of the a/c.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 AM
rbcss
Tourer

I'm tring to picture what you did. I totally understand blocking off the breather bolts, but are you putting the pcv in line like he had in his pitcher? (where he put the "T")

Old 07-08-2007, 09:41 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know what AC you have and this is how I did my big sucker 1.
Click here

Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 AM
rbcss
Tourer

I been seeing how everybody has been venting out of the breather and there are all different ways of doing it, and when it's all said and done it seems to be the same way indirectly. right now I have a s/e and it's vented to the carb. I have a b/s ready to be put on and was thinking of making some elbows to vent back to the carb like the s/e and stock filter does. then I came across this article that guig and my self read and it made sense so I'm exploring that option now and kind of like quig's idea. and hope to get some more feed back on his change.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:36 PM
quig
Tourer

Yes the valve is where the tee is in his pictures. The plastic line is just un hooked. The car valve has spit a few drops of oil but its not air tight so it cant create a vacuum in the crank case. Later this week I will have a better valve. I think the oil is cooler since blow by isnt being forced into the oil tank.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:32 AM
rbcss
Tourer

thanks, one last question (I think) did you remove your butterfly valves or did you just leave them since you blocked off the breather holes.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM
TheKingsOutlaw
Cruiser

Hey Quig,

I'm in Eau Claire. I'd like to hook up sometime and take a peek at what you've done. I'm new to Harley, but not new to riding. Did a lot of mod work on my last bike (2003 Yamaha V-Star Classic). I'm getting very interested in this mod.

TKO

Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 PM
quig
Tourer

I left the butterflies in the heads, also I found a oneway vacuum valve on my wrecked explorer works better than the pcv valve. Kings OL We will be at the Cant afford Sturgis party in Dexterville Aug 3-5 it sounds like a good time or the S.O.O.W. party in Eland on the 21st.

Quick Reply: venting your crank case