Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal extended switch cap replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:27 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Default Turn signal extended switch cap replacement

Ok so a while back I upgraded my switch covers to chrome, and put pics in the "what did you do..." thread. So I found out a day later that I accidentally buggered one up. So I switched it back to the black one till I got new replacement.

Then saw posts of guys that installed the extended one. Seeing that I have small hands I thought this was a great idea, so I ordered those. Hmmmm

They came the other day, so today I decided to install them. Got the left on after MANY tries. The right is another matter. I have the old one off, and the new cap on but after over an hour of trying, I CANNOT get the switch back in the housing. I even tried gently "coaxing" it with pliers. Dumb. Broke a little tab on the switch. The metal tab that holds the switch to the metal bracket I think will hold the switch in place but I am having trouble with one little issue.

I cannot remember if the spring the works the cover is against the cover or inside the pivot arm the cover rotates on. I have scoured the internet but cannot find any pics of the switch with the cover off so I can tell.

I know I can buy a replacement switch but then I still have to swap caps AGAIN.

Anyone know which side of the pivot post the spring goes on?

Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok I finally found one video, and it appears the spring goes inside the pivot mount post, so I will give that a try tomorrow. This happened when the little tab broke, it released the spring, and my memory being what it is, I could not be sure where it went.

I someone knows of an EASY to get htat extended switch back in the housing, I am all ears.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:41 AM
harley506d
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't know what bike/model you have but i put these on my '05 1200C.
A royal pita for sure, and, i am sure they were advertised as "easy fit"! The left hand side was bad enough, but the right side took forever. In fact i gave up and came back to it the next day.
If i remember rightly, the metal plate that holds the switch in place also holds the front brake light switch, so make sure that is located correctly before trying to force the switch back down into position.
I located the bottom cover tang first and then used a small screwdriver to slightly spread the cover, to locate the top tang. Make sure the cover tangs are seated fully onto the switch.
Make sure the wiring runs in the small channel in the base part of the housing and test it all before you close everything up.
Again, if i remember rightly, it did need a firm push to get it to seat down right. While the old cover is off, put the switch back in to see where it needs to be located, this gives you an idea what the end result should be, and how it finally sits.
One of those jobs i never want to do again, but once on and working, it's one of the best little mods i've done. They should have come from the factory with these already on, so good to use.
Good luck!

Old 03-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Any pictures you can take while reinstalling that spring would be greatly appreciated! Got a link for the one spring location reference you did find?

Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I will TRY to find the video again. I found it last night and it was probably the 10th or 12th wording of search terms in youtube. Even then it was about 3 seconds of a blurry shot. I will try to show a pic when I get back on it. Need 3 hands just to get the darn thing in there.

On this side I also did what HD says in their manual of cutting the zip tie that holds the wires to the bracket harley506D referred to. I hope that, too, wasn't another mistake.

This is not my first rodeo with these things either. Already replaced the factory black ones with the chrome, and now ATTEMPTING to put these extended ones. I got the left side on and functioning properly. That side required me taking it out 3 times because the push was popping the cap off the round post. These things are maddening I tell ya.

Right now my bike is sitting in the shop with the right side controls hanging down until I get my sanity back. I will TRY to take a couple pics for those brave souls after me that want to attempt this. The look is fantastic when done, and sure makes you appreciate the effort.

harley506d
The small tang holds the brake switch in its spot but it is not attached, and yes it is easy to forget about it and screw it up. Thankfully, haven't done that yet.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:19 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I think I found the video. Look here
at 12:30 in and if you look REAL CLOSE you can see the side of the switch with the spring inside the post that the switch rotates on.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

I fitted those on my 2011 Sporty - eventually! Probably the most trying experience I can recall during my biking life, followed closely by changing spark plugs on my Firebolt! I cannot offer any tips, other than walking away, then trying again a good while later, or tomorrow! You are not alone, as here is my thread.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

As I recall I did mention it will try your patience when fitting the caps. I have done 2 bikes.

The best I can remember both required what I will call firm pressure to put the switch back in. I don't recall cutting any cable ties.

I think the spring just seemed obvious by virtue of its shape and the hole that one end locates in.

It didn't even occur to me that a video would of been helpful to others.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 03-02-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:26 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Lol I was probably too frustrated to try to video AND get the thing back together. Would have pulled out what little hair I had left.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:38 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 987 Posts

I added the extended versions to my '13 Iron about 3 years ago.
It IS an exorcise in patience...

good luck,

T.

Quick Reply: Turn signal extended switch cap replacement