Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal extended switch cap replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 05:07 PM
trike1
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This all just seems like and alot of work and stress just to get an extra 1/4 inch of turn signal button. On my last 3 bikes i purchase from Amazon molded plastic turn extensions that installed with double sided tape over existing button, cost 15 bucks a pair in either black or chrome. They worked great and never had a problem with them falling off. Just saying.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Where is your sense of adventure? or Where is the fun in that?

I wouldn't call it stressful. It does take time and I didn't find it difficult. It is a game of tetris to get the switch to go back into place. The 2017 was easier than the 2008 for some reason I can't remember.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:41 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Ok went back at it this afternoon. Tried to make it work with the broken tab. The tab I am referring to is at the bottom of the switch that holds it in the metal bracket it is permanantly attached to. Well supposed to be anyway.

Here I am holding the switch with the bottom up. Look just above my thumb and you can see the light gray area where the little tab broke off.

In this next shot you can partly see my Mc Gyver fix. I used JB weld to weld a piece of plastic to the base of the switch and the metal bracket. It is sitting with a warming lamp on it overnight to cure it.

I had to remove the chrome cap (again) to do this so I will have to re-install it again tomorrow. I am repairing it because, 1. I don't want to wait a week for a new one, and 2. There is nothing wrong with this one, except the tab I broke. I will probably purchase one online to have incase it does not hold up, then I won't have to wait for it.

I have used JB pretty successfully like this before, so I am hoping. Oh yes, I was browsing over the instructions that came with the extended caps, amd lo and behold and excellent drawing of the spring side of the switch, showing exactly how it goes. Duhhhh! I didn't even look before becauce I already knew how to change the cap.

This is where the tab goes thriugh the housing making it so difficult to re-assemble, for those that have never done this chinese torture test before.

Will post an update on my "fix" and hopefully install when I get back to it.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

handirifle,

THANKS FOR POSTING THE VIDEO! Unfortunately, what I need is some clarity on the spring that is on the right side turn signal switch (I believe it is inside the cover). The right side turn signal switch only moves a little, and it will not work. I think it's because the spring came loose and is jammed inside the turn signal switch cover. If anyone has pictures/video/information on how to get to that spring, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you! Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2019, 03:58 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

The only way to get to that spring is to completely disassemble the rh control assembly. There are a couple things to keep in mind for the right side. IF you remove the front brake master cylinder/brake assembly be sure to keep the master cyl upright to keep air bubbles out. If you elect not to remove them, then make sure to block off the brake switch as mentioned in the HD manual.

The RH side is the worst in my opinion. There are three different sizes of torx screws, if you remove the brake assy. Otherwise just 2. The 20 removes the switch housing and I think its a 15 that holds the switch bracket to the switch housing. That screw is a bitch to get to.

Sorry to say there is no other way to reach that spring.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:13 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is a pic from the install instructions with the extended turn signal buttons. Note on the spring wrapped around the post. There is a leg of the spring that comes out near the base of the switch, that has a small 90* bend. That bend goes into a hole right about where it is shown in the pic. That tab sticking up behind it is part of the bracket assembly, that the switch is part of. Do not try to remove it from there. It is all one unit.

All of this is covered but the cap itself, but you can see it with the cap on, and if the spring is not right you can probably see that too. Personally, I doubt its the spring, most likely the switch. You might try lubing the pivot points of the switch and see if that frees it up.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:17 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Hmm just realized the pic did not post. Will try again.

There ya go.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Also my "fix" on the switch did not hold up, so I ordered one from JP. Now gotta wait for that and hope I don't break the new one. What a PITA.

Probably would not have done it if I had known this ahead of time.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:20 AM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

I am so glad I do not have any problems in signaling left or right. Except possibly when the left signal comes on really loud because I meant to hit the horn. LOL
Why do most parts come today with directions looking like something bought at Ikea?
Maybe thumb extensions would be easier?

Old 03-04-2019, 01:27 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Lol would definitely be easier.

Quick Reply: Turn signal extended switch cap replacement