Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much security?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much security?

Due to collect my new 883R on Saturday. Mentioned in passing to the sales guy at the dealership that I thought I should purchase a new padlock and chain for locking it up (preferably to something solid) when it's parked and, somewhat to my surprise, his response was, "Nah, you won't need that 'cause it's got the factory immobiliser fitted".

Interested in the views of any forum members riding '07 bikes fitted with H-D's Smart Security System.Do you guys rely on the factory immobiliser alone? Or do you chain it up and lock it down wherever you go?

All comments welcome,and wouldbe particularly interested in hearing from those like myself who live and ride inthe UK.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:42 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: How much security?

The factory security only keeps it from being hot wired. It doesn't keep it from being carried off. Two guys can easily toss a Sportster in a van or truck and be gone in a minute.If you are leaving it very long, like overnight, in a crime-ridden place, you may want to chain it to something solid.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:43 AM
BentZero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can never have too much security. The immobilizer isn't going to stop someone from putting your bike in the back of a truck.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

you may want to chain it to something solid.
Those are the key words. You can lock it, alarm it, chain it, etc. But unless it is attached to something immovable, it can be easily carried off by the pro's. If you just looking to keep the casual thief away, use the fork lock.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Without the chain, they can move the bike easily with dollies.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they really want it....They will take it, no matter what!!! Chains/locks have been broken before!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 128auto

Bike thieves won't even to such an elaborate system as dollies for a lighter bike like a Sporstster.

A couple of years ago, we had about a dozen bikes stolen in our town in about a week. We caught them one night in the act. They had a Chevy Astro panel van. A girl was driving and would pull in beside a bike. Two guys in the back would ****** the bike in thru the sliding side door. They would then take them to another location and load them on a Ryder truck. They were taking them by the truck load out of state and stripping them.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: WVHogRider

If they really want it....They will take it, no matter what!!! Chains/locks have been broken before!
You are 100% correct. A good set of bolt cutters will go thru nealy any chain/lock combo in seconds.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM
fritnatz4
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont chain mine at all. I dare them to steal it. I have the Harley security and then spent the extra for the Low Jack. If they take it the police will find it fast. If not then I get an additional 5k from Low Jack to cover the difference between insurance pay out and actual cost of replacing it. Nothing to carry (locks and chains) and Nothing to Lose. Hell I dont even use the fork lock.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

ORIGINAL: 128auto

Bike thieves won't even to such an elaborate system as dollies for a lighter bike like a Sporstster.

A couple of years ago, we had about a dozen bikes stolen in our town in about a week. We caught them one night in the act. They had a Chevy Astro panel van. A girl was driving and would pull in beside a bike. Two guys in the back would ****** the bike in thru the sliding side door. They would then take them to another location and load them on a Ryder truck. They were taking them by the truck load out of state and stripping them.
Not even for a heavier bike. All it takes is 4 big guys, 2 pipes through the wheels or frame, and a truck. They can (and do) carry them off easily.

Quick Reply: How much security?