Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock seat to hard 'help' I have 2 weeks to big ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:15 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts
Default stock seat to hard 'help' I have 2 weeks to big ride

I have a 2000 1200 C, the stock 2 up seat is way to hard for me.
Dose H.D. make a seat that would be a improvement?
If I can get one about the same size but softer it would be great.
Will I need to go after market? I dont want to spend over $350 if possible.

Thanks...Gary.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:27 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: stock seat to hard 'help' I have 2 weeks to big ride

Gary, yes, Harley makes other saddles as well as many other manufacturers. Corbin, Mustang, just to name a few.

However, I'm not aware of any that look like the original but are softer!!

I'm fortunate that the stock seat works great for me.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:05 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Check out the HD Sundowner. There are many happy users here. It's thicker but that's what you're going to get if you want comfort.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 AM
jkelley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Allen @ mean city cycles he can re-do it for great a price.

He is a great guy to do business with.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:51 AM
ColinB
Novice

You don't want a softer seat.. you can see in the attachment how little foam there is between your tail bone and the plastic and metal latch of the seat pan - it's 11/16", and this is what makes it torture. It seems thatthe aftermarket seats that are most recommended here move you up and forward by an inch to take you away from that.

I cut the foam out and built the seat up with hard-grade memory foam by about an inch, and then stuck the foam back on top. I shaped the foam as a wedge from front to back and covered the seat-pan part as well. This let the original foam glue down properly at the front, but stick up by about an inch at the back. I then stuck a shaped bit of foam at the back to fill this gapand move me forward. The seat is harder for the first 10 minutes, but then becomes very supportive and comfortable, and I'm about an inch higher and further forward.

I stupidly forgot to take pictures as I rebuilt it as I was covered in glue and bits of foam and trying to hold my breath due to fumes.....best done outside and with protective gloves on!

Colin

[IMG]local://upfiles/32430/F8A68312A06145389385652081BAA529.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 PM
robbinson
Advanced

I highly recommend the sundowner seat. I made that upgrade after about 3 weeks after purchasing my bike (after my first 2 hour ride - ouch). What a HUGE difference. I completed a 700 mile weekend trip a few weeks back - I can't imagine that ride on the stock seat. The sundowner does add a couple of inches to your seat height though (good for me, the windshield had been right at my line of sight, now I see comfortably over it).

Old 07-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Sundowner on my Sporty, too. It's a vast improvement over the stock seat. There's a lot more padding, the shape is better and wider. plus, there's a bit of a seatback that covers your butt and provides support when you roll on the throttle and she takes off.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:01 AM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer

I have the sundowner also and it is a great improvement...also fits with your budget also...think its $269.00

wayne

Old 07-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a big ride coming up in two weeks. Stock seat won't do it. You don't want to spend more than $350. Mustang and Corbin are out, then. You don't have time to experiment with the HD Rallyrunner, or other seat. You need a seat that works...NOW! That pretty much leaves you with Harley's Sundowner. Order it as soon as possible, and put it on your bike. Then send your stock seat to Allen from Mean City Cycles. Turn around time is 2-3 weeks.
http://www.meancitycycles.com/

Then you will have a comfy seat for your trip (and others), and a comfy seat to cruise around town on. All within your budget, and time frame! Keep in mind, I have not used a Sundowner, or had a mod done by Allen at MCC, but I've never heard anything bad about either, and I've heardlots of good about both!

Do you think that would solve your dilemma?

Teek

Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After purchasing my bike last year I got a Mustang vintage solo and pillion which was quite comfortable and provided a firm but very good ride for me but not the Mrs. (pillion too narrow in her opinion and not thickly padded). So rather than spend the money on anotherone piece touring seat from Mustang that had a much wider passenger seat I opted to try the Sundowner. While the Sundowner is no where near the quality of the Mustang it is indeed very comfortable and the Mrs. really likes the wider passenger section (mesures about 11" wide) the best part is that its only $198 plus shipping through http://www.zanottimotor.com/vs. $280 at the dealer and is about $100 less than Mustang. For a good touring seat (I still plan to run a solo seat most of the time) the Sundowner is the best bang for the buck I think. I might add though that it does not have rubber bumpers under the seat at the contact points (like more expensive seats do)so its necessary to add your own or cover the bottom with felt to prevent the pan or the staples form contacting your fender.

Quick Reply: stock seat to hard 'help' I have 2 weeks to big ride