Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show your custom paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show your custom paint job

Contemplating doing custom airbrush work on my Yellow pearl 1200c. I would very much laove to see some of you guys and gals custom paint jobs. Kinda torn on which theme to go with. Been experimenting with real fire airbrushing on mine but the method works best on a black base.
This is a chance to show off that killer paint job to fellow riders but maybe somewhere in the process I might even get inspired with a theme or color combo.
Also if anyone here is an artist with experience on color coordinating some colors that would go along and complement a factory yellow pearl paint job then I say all suggestions will be considered. I have thoght of everything from real flames to traditional methods. God forbid I even considered turning the bike into a killer bumlebe because of the black going so well with yellow but it seems a little tacky on that one .
All comments and suggestions welcome. My bike will have a custom airbrushed paint job on it when I get better with this AB gun. Give it your best suggestion and lets see where it goes. This is a project I have invested some decent amount of money in learning to make my bike a unique creation and visually stunning I HOPE!!

Thanks jim
all suggestions will be considered and appreciated

Thanks again in advance
Jim in Bama

Old 07-03-2007, 09:04 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser
Default RE: Show your custom paint job

Note I am not a true artist but understand the concept in stenciling but could not pull off murals and such but maybe suggested color combos for different fire licks ( other than normal colors for fire) or even colors for traditional flame type jobs with maybe skulls or hogs or eagles incorporated into the scheme.
people with wisdom in color complements are especially welcome. I am not trying to do away with my yellow peral factory paint just complement it

Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser

I am also unsure as to removethe factory trim on the tank or mask it and build around the trim including the harley davidson decals

Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
shootdonniebrook
Intermediate

here's my airbrush work on my 05 custom

[IMG]local://upfiles/28803/323CB33517C34B159B4E13B17C993FB6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser

That is a sweet paint job you have there. My problem is the yellow pearl base that I need to incorporate some contrasting or complementing colors too. Need a color expert that knows how to match colors that go together

Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, since ya asked, maybe some red, white and blue naaaaaaaaah, can't see yaller goin along with that! hahahahahahha
Anyway, how about using the yellow as the base for the flames, ya know, sorta Old School Flame job, white to red to yellow flames????? If ya don't want it to be a real custom job in Red, White & Blue that is!!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:48 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

This is what I like, may consider similar paint job in the future.

ORIGINAL: shootdonniebrook

here's my airbrush work on my 05 custom

[IMG]local://upfiles/28803/323CB33517C34B159B4E13B17C993FB6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 AM
daddycoolj
Cruiser

****** if I was not so unwilling to keep the yeller pearl there is not a doubt in the world that I would have eagles and flag on my sportster cause buddy you have one gorgeous paint job on that bike of yours. Maybe since I am going to attempt all this myself and if things go south it will definitley be my next choice in paint.
Consider me very supportive of our brave troops defending our freedoms
Jim

Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just kicking out some ideas here. Don't know a damn thing about airbrushing, but I like something similar to a royal blue on yellow. Why? I like blue! Let's see, how does this sound? Flames: Yellow as a base, gradually going to light orange, orange, red, deepening to blood red, maroon, purple, blue, then ending with amedium blue at the tips of the flame tongues. The slight color changes would have to be pretty short, and the transition pretty seemless to pull it off. The last thing you want is to be able to look at it and notice a transitioning "line". Or you could just start with the yellow base and gradually go with the color of your choice. I'm wondering how gradually going to a black flame would look, since black definitely goes great with yellow. Or sort of a black tribal-type flame?With a shadow effect? I don't know...I'd have to see some color combinations actually done on a blank. I'm not an artist by any means...I just know what I like when I see it, and am simply throwing out ideas. Most or all of them probably suck, but if one or more thoughts can give you some ideas, then it worked. If you now know what NOT to do, then my suggestions worked also!
Yellow can be a great base. I already mentioned I like blue. Red works well. Orange can work, but I like red better. Black works with almost anything. Certain greens work well with yellow, too.

Teek

Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
TheKingsOutlaw
Cruiser

Very nice!

Quick Reply: Show your custom paint job