Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 PM
angrynightster
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil ?

I'm due for my first service and i was wandering , can i use synthetic oil or should i wait for my next oil change??
thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 07:53 PM
DieHard
Cruiser
Default RE: oil ?

if you already got 1000 mile it is ok to switch out to synthetic oil. what brand that is up to you. good luck and happy riding

Old 07-03-2007, 08:19 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Dofull syntheticnow. imho

Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Dr_J
Cruiser

lots of threads about this specific topic.... Synthetic will not breakdown as quickly...runs cooler....shifts easier etc....

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1648128/m...tm.htm#1648128

Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr_J

lots of threads about this specific topic.... Synthetic will not breakdown as quickly...runs cooler....shifts easier etc....

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1648128/m...tm.htm#1648128
Caution, the link provided above deals with BT's and lists incorrect oil quantities for Sporties.

The engine will take NO more than 3 quarts of oil including what goes in the filter prior to installation. The manual calls for 3.6 quarts but that quantity is incorrect for an oil change. Don't fill the oil tank more than 1/4 to 1/3 above the add mark on the dipstick. Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline or Royal Purple are all gool choices for syn.

The primary/tranny will take 32oz (1 quart), it can easuly be added through the primary chain inspection cover.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:18 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

On the subject of oil, I would like to add this. It is best to begin to use synthetic oil while your engine is in its earlyr stages. The reason for this is because synthetic oil is very slippery(for lack of a better word). Your engine seals swell to close off any leakage of oil. When putting in synthetic from regular dyno, the seals will not close off as well therefore, you can get oil leaks more readily. The sooner you begin to use synthetic oil, the better.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:31 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigtop1

On the subject of oil, I would like to add this. It is best to begin to use synthetic oil while your engine is in its earlyr stages. The reason for this is because synthetic oil is very slippery(for lack of a better word). Your engine seals swell to close off any leakage of oil. When putting in synthetic from regular dyno, the seals will not close off as well therefore, you can get oil leaks more readily. The sooner you begin to use synthetic oil, the better.
Sorry, but I have to ask. How did you come by this information?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:17 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: bigtop1

Sorry, but I have to ask. How did you come by this information?
In very simplistic terms, in higher mileage engines run on dino oil, there is a particulate "sludge" that forms on gaskets and seals. As the gaskets & seals age this "sludge" winds up helping to prevent the gaskest & seals from leaking. Synthetic oils have a detergent property that beaks down and disolves this "sludge" (a good thing) but may result in oil leaks from worn-out gaskets & sealsthat are exposed in the process. Start the use of synthetic early and you won't have any problems.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 PM
John3:16
Cruiser

is 4000 miles too late to change to synthetic

Old 07-04-2007, 06:42 PM
LBussy
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: John3:16

is 4000 miles too late to change to synthetic
I've changed to synthetic on an Ironhead with no rebuild. Change whenever you want. If the engine is tight you'll have no leaks. If it was going to leak anyway, syn may help you find it sooner. Syn does not cause leaks in any way shape or form.

4000 miles is hardly broken-in.

Here's some honest information about your bike and oil: http://www.xlrator.com/personal/oil/default.asp

Quick Reply: oil ?