Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to store new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Zateeva
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 148 Posts

problem solved........

Old 12-11-2018, 02:04 AM
LordSargon
Tourer
Received 115 Likes on 68 Posts

+1 for the battery tender/storing the battery indoors & fuel stabilizer.
Stored my water cooled VN750 over the winter in a carport with a cover over it. Came out just fine in the spring. Air cooled Harleys should be even easier with one less fluid to worry about.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

A garage in freezing weather is fine, but like a lawn mower or other power equipment store there, you want to take some precautions.

Storing the bike with a full fuel tank eliminates the air pocket where condensation can form, which would result in water in your gas. There are several brands of fuel stabilizer available, and one is recommended as gasoline will degrade over time without it.

A heavy duty cover that will stand up to wind and snow is good if the bike is stored outside, or optionally a light dust cover if it is inside. Make sure it is something soft that won't scratch the paint. I don't use a cover because they can encourage mice and other critters to take up residence in your bike.

You may want to put plastic bags over intakes and exhausts, again, to discourage critters from taking up residence. Be sure these are something obvious that will catch your attention when looking at the bike. Melting a bag to the end of your muffler wouldn't be cool.

Parking the bike in one spot for months on end can result in flat spots on the tires. That can be avoided by jacking up the bike. Don't leave the bike in a precarious situation, though. If it doesn't seem steady while jacked up, be satisfied with one or both tires on the ground but a substantial amount of the weight supported by the jack or some blocking under the frame. A simpler solution would be to make sure that the bike gets moved every few weeks so the contact patch changes.

Clean the bike before storing it. All of that gunk does a number on your finish. Yes, I can accept it being there while I'm actively riding, but that's no excuse to let it continue degrading my paint while it sits.

Analyze the security situation, especially if the bike is stored someplace that you won't be checking on it frequently. You don't want to stick it in an off site storage locker or shed on the back 40 just to come back in a few months to find a big empty.