Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield glare on hi beam

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018 | 06:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by SoGA
Isn't it going to be terribly vertical after this change? Are you sure it won't act like a giant sail in front of you?
Moving the U slot would if anything lean it back a little more, although that would be easier to assess by doing some measurements and marking out new mounting holes onto the brackets. It's a shame we're all so spread out and can't get together for a beer to take a closer look!

Old 10-31-2018 | 07:12 AM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by grbrown

Thinking out loud! Consider cutting off the upper U mounting slot, then creating a fresh one level with the L bracket above it (or below in your photo). Cut off the bottom mounting and redrill at the appropriate distance below the new U mount. Would be worth tracing the current mounts onto paper or card, so you can play around a little with seeing where the 'new' mounting points can end up, also how much rearwards they will move the shield.
I like this idea ! You could probably cut it off, grind it smooth, drill a hole (or 2),. then slot the hole with the same grinder you just used to cut the tab off with.
Good thinkin' GB !
Beers' on me !

Old 10-31-2018 | 10:36 AM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Gr
Look at the top pic in post #65. That is exactly what I had done. Great minds! And it is actually a slot. That is the one I am considering deepening. The pic of the whole uncut bracket is the right side one. I didn't want to start hacking on both till I figured out what was going to work.

One thing about this project is you can think it out all you want but not until you do it and start fitting do you see what will or will not work. For instance, I tried to have the right side bracket on but with it moved up it REALLY interferes with the throttle cables, so that is a hurdle I have to jump when I get to that one.

I believe my next step, after bouncing it around in that empty space I call my head, is I will deepen the new slot, AND trim the inner curve of the windshield. I think that will be easier than welding and cutting again on the bracket. I can weld but sometimes the welds aren't as pretty as I hoped. Especially on a chrome piece.

The pic of the bracket on the floor is the right side one. The window trim on it was put on by PO to keep it from rubbing the throttle cables. That will be a big hurdle. Have to do my famous sit-n-stare till it comes to me.

I go in for my eye procedure in about 1 1/2 hr. It's only PRK but they say I have to wear a protective contact on both eyes and will be very irritated for 3-5 days, so not sure when I will get back on it. Hopefully soon. This is nothing serious, just a touch up after my cataract surgeries (yea I'm old) this summer. Just annoying, but hopefully I will end up with 20-20 when is all done.

Keep the ideas coming. I wish I had posted a shot of how much the right bracket is in the way of the throttle cables, so you guys could post your thoughts on it.

Catch ya'all later.

Old 10-31-2018 | 11:21 AM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

To clarify, the window trim on the right braket is on the bottom of the bracket. It's upside down in the pic.

Old 10-31-2018 | 11:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by handirifle
To clarify, the window trim on the right braket is on the bottom of the bracket. It's upside down in the pic.
Yeah we got that - still dizzy from standing on our heads! Now where's that beer......

Now I'll read your other post!

Old 10-31-2018 | 11:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member

We've trodden similar paths. This is my 1990 Glide, with a shovel glassfibre batwing, for which I made new brackets and installed myself. The following photo doesn't show them very clearly, but they are somewhat similar to yours and took a lot of effort to get right, avoiding conflict with 'stuff' and getting the shield angle and height right. Bit of a nightmare, but got there in the end! I had the original batwing mounting brackets, but gave up thoughts of modifying them and eventually made new mounting brackets

Old 10-31-2018 | 12:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Gr
Look at the top pic in post #65. That is exactly what I had done. Great minds! And it is actually a slot. That is the one I am considering deepening. The pic of the whole uncut bracket is the right side one. I didn't want to start hacking on both till I figured out what was going to work.

I see it now! Must be the time difference across the 'pond'!

One thing about this project is you can think it out all you want but not until you do it and start fitting do you see what will or will not work. For instance, I tried to have the right side bracket on but with it moved up it REALLY interferes with the throttle cables, so that is a hurdle I have to jump when I get to that one.
Had the same problem with my throttle cables, although it is many years ago now, so the memory has faded.

I believe my next step, after bouncing it around in that empty space I call my head, is I will deepen the new slot, AND trim the inner curve of the windshield. I think that will be easier than welding and cutting again on the bracket. I can weld but sometimes the welds aren't as pretty as I hoped. Especially on a chrome piece.

The pic of the bracket on the floor is the right side one. The window trim on it was put on by PO to keep it from rubbing the throttle cables. That will be a big hurdle. Have to do my famous sit-n-stare till it comes to me.
Sounds like you're well equipped for this challenge!

I go in for my eye procedure in about 1 1/2 hr. It's only PRK but they say I have to wear a protective contact on both eyes and will be very irritated for 3-5 days, so not sure when I will get back on it. Hopefully soon. This is nothing serious, just a touch up after my cataract surgeries (yea I'm old) this summer. Just annoying, but hopefully I will end up with 20-20 when is all done.

Keep the ideas coming. I wish I had posted a shot of how much the right bracket is in the way of the throttle cables, so you guys could post your thoughts on it.

Catch ya'all later.
Very best wishes with your op - plenty of thinking time ahead!

Old 10-31-2018 | 12:48 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea lots of mind time. Yours looks good. Gives one a new respect for design engineers.

Old 11-01-2018 | 08:19 AM
cacomly
Road Master

Anyone ever use a full fairing on one of these? How well do those block the wind? The ones I saw sat behind the light completely. I may end up with hard bags on the back anyway so that might not look so out of place.
One of the staff at the bike shop I use has a fairing on her Sporty and I've ridden it. It blocks the wind as you would expect it to and I generally liked it. The only complaint I had was it seemed noisy due to the wind and the fact that it's just a plastic shell. Not sure if I have any photos of it but will take one the next time I see the bike. She has 4 bikes now and you never know which one she will ride

Old 11-01-2018 | 05:38 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Well my visor showed up today, but I can't see well enough to put it on. Hopefully soon. I can make my screen letters larger enough to type, but only for a few min, before I get a headache from it

Quick Reply: Windshield glare on hi beam