Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have no idea if i'm keeping it under 2k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:08 PM
SteveInCA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have no idea if i'm keeping it under 2k rpm

Hey guys,
sorry about all the questions..first harley for me. My service tech told me to keep it under 2k rpm for the first 500 miles. I have no idea if i'm doing that. I'm not pushing the bike at all but i really can't tell if i'm keeping it under 2k rpm. My tech told me i could get a feel for it but i really haven't been able to.

I take off from standing stops at a quick pace sometimes, shifting very quickly. Does the sportie/nightster pull at 2k rpm cuz i'm pulling kind of quickly..nothing too fast. I'm a bit concerned because i want to break the bike in properly.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:17 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: I have no idea if i'm keeping it under 2k rpm

Not sure what you think you heard but it wasn't 2k or the tech needs to go back to school. The engine would never achieve breakin staying under 2k. Get out you owners manual, it details the proper breakin procedure.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yup, cHarley's right. The manual details how to break it in properly by MPH...

Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 PM
SteveInCA
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I read the manual and it clearly states 4k rpm...not sure why my tech told me or i thought I heard 2k rpm. Makes much more sense now, i can actually have fun while breaking the bike in.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

keeping it under 2000 revs all the time would probably lug the engine right off its mounts... won't do much for acceleration, either - - - follow the owners manual for the real break-insuggestions.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,
I believe 2K is about twice idle speed, pretty much what's done tooling around a parking lot looking for a space (in first). Ride it "normally". Don't baby it, but don't romp on it,either. Smooth acceleration, vary speeds for the first 500. Service roads in townon the sides of highways are good for this. Speed limits are around 45 to 50,with stop lights or signs every so often. Then cross over to the other side and do it again. Or just get on the highway, go a few exits down, get off, and go the other way.

Listen to the engine...the different sounds it makes. Listen to the engine when accelerating, upshifting, and downshifting. Butdon't lose concentration with the road conditions and cages trying to run over you. If it helps any, try not to go over 70 mph in 5th. Ride in the highest gear you can without lugging the engine if you had to accelerate. IOW, if you arein 5th gear at a steady 45 mph, roll on the throttle to about 50 or so. Did the engine lug on the way? If no, keep it in 5th. If yes (more likely), drop it down a gear to 4th. You'll get the hang of it. It takes practice. Some need more practice than others. I definitely need more practice than others!

Read the manual cover to cover. Then read it again. Keep it handy. Refer to it often. Open it up with your bike in front of you. Physically touch whatever part, procedure, or thingyou are reading about, even the ones you are intimately familiar with, including starting procedures. Go page by page. Remove the seat. Look down throughthe frame andnotice how everything is neatly crammed in there. Maybe check bolts with an open end or socket wrench. Don'tloosen anything, and don't crankdown on any bolts or screws. Just check for resistance. Put the seat back on, check the oil level and tire pressure,close the manual,put on yourhelmet, and do some semi spirited riding for a half hour or so. Come back, and immediately check the tire pressureand oil level again, as per the manual. Different readings, huh? Bothmore than you started? That's why you check the tire pressure cold, and the engine oil level hot.

There! That's about all I think I know about motorcycles, which ain't much,and if I'm wrong on any point, I'd like someone to correct me. Reading and studying the owner's manual works as well for cars, power tools, household appliances, computers, wrist watches, hydration packs,and guns. I need written instructions, preferably with plenty of clear pictures. I'm not smart enough to figure it out on my own.

Teek

Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's 4k... but only for the first 50.... After that it's 5k to 1000... And listen bro... don't stress... Just don't lug and don't race in the first 1000 and you are golden... ez

Old 07-02-2007, 03:55 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

2k rpm? impossible man.
I think you worry about your new bike too much, just do what the manual said, bottom line, as long as you don't crack it, you will be fine.