Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking noise when hitting bumps (and another question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 AM
chrispCY
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Clunking noise when hitting bumps (and another question)

Good day all, i have a question i'm hoping someone may be able to help...
For quite some time now, while riding on my 2017 XL883N, whenever im hitting a bump/pothole i can hear a clunking/rattling sound from the primary case, as if something in there is loose
Perhaps this is irrelevant but whenever im in first gear, pull the clutch and let it go to re-engage again back in first, it engages with a similar clunking sound as if in neutral and shifting to first gear.
Its not as loud as from neutral > first gear but you cant miss it.

On a side note, i had dropped the bike a year and a half ago and i managed to bend the shifter shaft, which was replaced by the local dealer. I cant remember if the clunking sound was present before that
  1. Is this clunking when hitting bumps something i should worry about or is this perfectly normal and i can just ignore it?
  2. Is the clunking sound when disengaging and re-engaging the first gear relevant to this? Is it normal behavior?
Thanks in advance for any input giver

Ride safe
Chris

Last edited by chrispCY; 10-15-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 AM
harley506d
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess the first thing to do would be to check the primary chain tension. There is a correct procedure for doing this so check with your FSM.

The following users liked this post:
chrispCY (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:33 AM
chrispCY
Novice

Originally Posted by harley506d
I guess the first thing to do would be to check the primary chain tension. There is a correct procedure for doing this so check with your FSM.
Thanks, just checked. Looks to be tight enough & within specs

Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM
harley506d
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The large nut on the crankshaft has known to come loose, but you will have to pull the primary case to check.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Chris, I can';t answerr your query about the clunk while moving, but the clunk when engaging first gear is common. When starting the engine, say first thing in the morning, the starter drives the primary chain and hence turns over the crank, starting the engine. Engaging first gear is the first time the clutch plates are separated from each other, having 'cosied up' since last time you rode. They stick together as a result of spring pressure and sticky oil.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:13 PM
chrispCY
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
Chris, I can';t answerr your query about the clunk while moving, but the clunk when engaging first gear is common. When starting the engine, say first thing in the morning, the starter drives the primary chain and hence turns over the crank, starting the engine. Engaging first gear is the first time the clutch plates are separated from each other, having 'cosied up' since last time you rode. They stick together as a result of spring pressure and sticky oil.
Thanks a lot for taking time to reply. I understand the clunking when shifting from neutral to first (or upshifting/downshifting for the matter)

What gets me curious though is the clanking when disengaging and re-engaging the clutch while staying on the same gear.
i.e when in brief stop and on first gear; when i slowly let go of the clutch lever to initiate accelleration, i can clearly hear a clunk as if im shifting (but im not). I hope my explanation makes sense

Old 10-15-2018, 04:27 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Have you checked you motor mounts? Maybe the "clunk" is induced by sudden "engine" movement in the rubber bushings (clutch engagement), or by sudden frame movement going over bumps?

John

Old 10-15-2018, 05:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

That other clunk is certainly odd. Do you have a warranty on your bike? It would be worth visiting your dealer to get them to investigate. It's a bit difficult, what with us all being spread so far afield!

Old 10-16-2018, 06:33 AM
HotRod917
Road Warrior
Received 274 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Christophoros Papachristophorou

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply. I understand the clunking when shifting from neutral to first (or upshifting/downshifting for the matter)

What gets me curious though is the clanking when disengaging and re-engaging the clutch while staying on the same gear.
i.e when in brief stop and on first gear; when i slowly let go of the clutch lever to initiate accelleration, i can clearly hear a clunk as if im shifting (but im not). I hope my explanation makes sense
13'XL Iron here, does it from time to time..especially slow speed manuvers..this "Clutch release clunk" feels like the clutch plates sticking but it's jus the 'driveline taking up the slack' from what i read..did you check the oil level after you dropped the bike since u said chain deflection is in spec.

rode other sporty's to verify..some do it, some don't. Same with the big twins. Running Motul 20w50 sup-syn in my primary, it still does it..as it did with the HD formula, so not an oil issue. And it's definitely not a motor mount issue.

did a lot of research on this cos i run my bikes hard..some guys have the clutch housing develop grooves for the plates not to move freely and others some free play between the main shaft and the clutch housing..which is nither the case with my bike when i last checked it 2 years ago. Good thing is, it's not gonna break ur bike.

so without getting too carried away on this subject..if ur not a wrench on it kinda guy..talk to a good knowledgeable tech at ur dealer and if u get a "they all do that" answer, then show some fingers as u do a burnout and rideaway.

Last edited by HotRod917; 10-16-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 AM
Bradb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jiffy stand bumper still there???

Quick Reply: Clunking noise when hitting bumps (and another question)