Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield vs. Windvest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM
TiRider
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Windshield vs. Windvest?

Hi. I have a 2016 XL1200T that came with the DH quick detach 14" windshield. It's nice having that as a bug deflector, but I get buffeting at 40 MPH and up. I tried riding without the windshield and it was very smooth- very quiet and no buffeting at all! (I wear an Arai FF helmet). Still, in the cold and rainy PNW, it is nice having some protection from the rain and from the bugs in the summer.

I recently installed a Freedom Shield 16" windshield and although it seems to cut down some of the "large" movement buffeting, now I seem to have some sort of "low level" buffeting or "vibration" for lack of a better description, it seems, at most speeds. It also seems that I have more air turbulence behind the windshield and the wind hits the top of the helmet. At 16" I am looking over the top of the windshield but the top is still below my line of sight.

I have read the other windshield threads in the forum, but my questions are:
1. Have you experienced this type of vibration or low level buffeting with the Freedom Shield?
2. What is different about the Windvest compared to the HD QD or FRS? The Windvest website has very little information about what distinguishes them.
3. Any other recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Nailz
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 49 Posts

This thread is relevant to my interests... How tall are you? I'm looking at alternative windshields besides the HD quick detach windshield my bike came with. It just has the look I don't care for... I'm 5' 11" for reference.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:26 PM
TiRider
Advanced

I am 5' 6" with a 28" inseam. I didn't mind until I decided to see what it was like without the windshield and was surprised at how smooth and quiet it was, even on the highway! I do not seem to get much chest pressure from the wind, but maybe that's because I have not ridden it that way for very long, but I have seen lots of bugs and rocks hit the windshield.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Every windshield I've tried, Sportsters and big twins, has buffeting at some speed. The only ones I've found that work are small flyscreens or quarter fairings. Hence why I run a Dart flyscreen on my Evo. I'm 6'2" and it clears air from shoulder to shoulder wide, and up to my neck. It's the perfect balance of a shield protection (can duck behind it for bug swarms or whatnot) and still getting a breeze like a non-shielded bike. It stays on year round and doesn't make me hot in the desert, but adds a lot of protection when it gets cold.

I hate windshields. If I'm gonna get a big guard, I'm gonna ride a full faired bagger.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 10-11-2018 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TiRider (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:10 PM
SPORTSTER0311
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I run a Memphis shades gauntlet quarter fairing and it actually makes a big difference. I have apes and before I felt like I was going to get blown off the bike at higher speeds. It makes enough of a difference to be worth keeping it on, and it’s a look that I actually like as well.

The following users liked this post:
TiRider (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:14 PM
TiRider
Advanced

The Dart looks interesting. Is it adjustable since at 5' 6" I am shorter than you so will the wind just go back and hit my helmet? Being in clean air would be great. Thanks for the pointer.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:18 PM
TiRider
Advanced

I'll look into this one as well. Seems like the smaller shields provide just enough wind redirection. What happens in the rain and do bugs get redirected?

Old 10-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Grey_Beard
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

I had the stock HD QD 16 shield and had horrible helmet buffeting at just about any speed. And I wear a Bell modular helmet. Changed the shield to a Clearview Shield which utilizes the original mounting from the stock HD. Choose the 21" with the re-curved top, 4" wider over stock and the 5 position vent. Best investment I've made in a shield absolutely no buffeting at any speed and I use it all year round. BTW, I'm 6ft with a 34" inseam.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:39 PM
TiRider
Advanced

Thanks, I may have to look into that- I like the vent. Do you look over or through the shield?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Jeremy Walters
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer riding without a windshield. At night i like to wear a full helmet for bugs and what not. I dont think the bugs are too bad. Rain is a different story.

Quick Reply: Windshield vs. Windvest?