Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XR 1200 fast idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 AM
Les Duncan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry XR 1200 fast idle

I am a first timer on here so you will have to forgive my ignorance. I am Based in Brisbane Australia and have an XR1000 and an XR1200 as well as 5 other bikes. I know you guys have covered this subject before but i tried without success to find it again. My XR1200 starts up from cold and revs up to 2500rpm, sometimes 3000, only started doing it after highway riding for about an hour, turned the bike off for fuel and then restarted with the fast idle. Rode it home , cleaned the throttle body and idle speed controller, rode it again a few days later and all was back to normal. Turned it off to open the garage door restarted with 2500rpm idle again. Replaced the throttle position sensor today, started it up and now it seems worse, 3000 rpm, does not seem to be much different hot or cold. Bike has K&N air filter, Screaming Eagle Slip on mufflers and a power commander which was set up on a dyno 12 months ago. I loosened off the intake manifold to fit the TPS and made sure everything was tightened back up. Any Ideas? Les.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:12 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Do you have any codes? The check engine light can be off with codes stored.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html

I would also check the throttle cables and adjust them.
Check the return cable and make sure it is seated properly at the throttle body.

Check for intake leaks.

Have you noticed any issues with the speedometer? Possible VSS sensor issue.
The ECM uses VSS input to calculate idle air control position.Therefore problems with the vehicle speed signal
can lead to improper operation of the idle air control.

The TMAP, JSS, TPS and VSS are connected to the same 5V reference line.
Intermittent TPS malfunctions may cause the TMAP to set a code prior to the TPS codes setting.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Hello old chap, from the UK and welcome to HDF. I learned long ago, living like you a long way away from the States, that owning the factory service manual is essential. There is stacks of diagnostic stuff in it, which should assist you in identifying the problem and solving it. Don't replace things until you have a handle on the problem, that can get expensive and may not solve the problem. It is probably cheaper to visit your local dealer and get them to diagnose it, you have two nearby, or find a local indy, if you have any around there.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-01-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:04 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

All EFI Sportsters (2007 & newer) have an engine temperature sensor in the center of the rear head that sends data to the ECM, if it is not always reading that the cylinder is hot the ECM thinks it is a cold start and can cause rich running and high idle conditions.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:48 AM
Les Duncan
6th Gear

Thanks, shanneba for your advice i will check for fault codes and see what comes up. i know the throttle cables are correctly seated. I was also told that the new TPS would need to be zeroed in but not sure how to do that or if is relevant to this model as there is no adjustment on the TPS. Thanks again. Les.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 AM
Les Duncan
6th Gear

I did the code check as suggested and it came up with P0122 which indicates TPS sensor low. I cleared the code and restarted the bike, still idling at 2500 and rising to 3000 rpm. Rechecked the codes and it came up no fault present but still idles high. Is there a reset proceedure for a new TPS . Les.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:25 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

I don't think there is a reset procedure.

• At idle (closed throttle), the signal is typically in the range of 0.2-0.8V.
• At wide open throttle, the signal is normally 4.0-4.9V.

Inspect ECM harness and TPS connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, inoperative
locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal-to-wire connection, corrosion and damaged harness.

The TMAP VSS and TPS are all connected to the same reference line (+5V REF). If the line goes to ground or open, multiple
trouble codes may be set. Check the wiring and connections for the TMAP and VSS sensor also.

The following users liked this post:
oleksa (09-25-2023)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Les Duncan
6th Gear
Thumbs up XR1200 Fast Idle

Thanks Shanneba and others for your advice and suggestions which i am sure helped me find the problem. Broken Throttle Shaft where the butterfly attaches inside the throttle body. I just need to decide which body parts i need to sell to buy a new throttle body. I assume the shaft cant be replaced.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:16 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

JB weld?

Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Les Duncan
6th Gear

The shaft has cracked right through where one of the screws for the butterfly goes. dont think i would trust a weld there, not enough metal to begin with, probably why they break, Les.

Quick Reply: XR 1200 fast idle