Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy looking for advicewith that bit of. Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:14 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Default New guy looking for advicewith that bit of. Info

I am new to big Harleys, had a couple small ones from the AMF days but those don't really count.

A little backround on me. Am 65 and have ridden on street and dirt since I was 15. Have owned a lot of bikes over the years but nothing larger than 600cc. I have always wanted a Sportster ever since seeing it on "Then came Bronson". Yea I know kinda sappy but it's true. Looking at the specs I don't see enough difference in weight to warrant the 883 so the 1200 seems to be the target. Am I missing anything I should know about between the 2? I know the 883 has a lower final drive but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the difference. I have read the heads are different but do not know how.
This will probably be my last bike and a new one is out of the question. So with that little bit of info I would like to ask a question or two rom those that know.

I would like to keep price about 6k and in that range is there any year or model I should avoid?

Any helpful bit of info will be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I have a 2017 XL1200T and love it at age 66. I did replace suspension and installed a new seat. You should be able to find a 2007 or newer which will have the rubber mounted engine and fuel injection. Don't know what type of riding you want to do. If it's a bit of touring, avoid the "peanut" tank and get something with a 4.5 gal tank. The 1200 is the engine to get. Lower the mileage the better. You may want to avoid something that has been heavily modified.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I'm even older and currently have an 883 Super-not-so-Low, called that because I've improved the suspension (a little) and raised ride height. I have a Buell Firebolt 1200 for my performance bike. My 883 is just great! It will happily cruise at speeds up to 80mph or so without stress (wearing ear plugs!) which is perfectly adequate IMHO for that style of bike. I bought mine before the 1200T was introduced, by which time mine looked remarkably similar, with windshield and bags added, along with highway pegs. It's a great way to travel! Would a 1200 engine be even better? Quite possibly, but I'm happy at present. The beauty of the 883 is that it can be economically upgraded with a 1250/1275 kit to give even better performance than a factory 1200, should the urge grab you.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:01 AM
1HD4CJM1X4K
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On the showroom floor, the 883 has a greater value, but not so much on the used market.
Used they should sell for almost the same as the 1200,
So, look for the1200, used (and the less used, the better),
Look for fuel injection, look for dents and bent front forks, look at the owner and the maintenance.
Look for garage kept. Look at tires and their manufactures date.

Do not feel bad if you reject a few before you buy.
There are a LOT of Harleys hidden in garages.
Expect to spend some of your budget doing a service check.
Check out some of the great finds that others have located on this forum,
Take your time and you will be rewarded with a very good value.

Take a riders course. Seriously... Also, check out your local library for books on proficient riding.
Both will make you a safer, better, more proficient rider. Trust me, you will have a LOT more fun.

Then practice in a large, well lit, empty parking lot.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:18 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks obviously less is better on mileage but how many is a sportster good for before an overhaul, assuming it has been taken care of?

Old 09-10-2018, 09:20 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

As for getting it looked at beforehand, the only Harley shop within 50 miles closed a year ago.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:37 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
I am new to big Harleys, had a couple small ones from the AMF days but those don't really count.

A little backround on me. Am 65 and have ridden on street and dirt since I was 15. Have owned a lot of bikes over the years but nothing larger than 600cc. I have always wanted a Sportster ever since seeing it on "Then came Bronson". Yea I know kinda sappy but it's true. Looking at the specs I don't see enough difference in weight to warrant the 883 so the 1200 seems to be the target. Am I missing anything I should know about between the 2? I know the 883 has a lower final drive but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the difference. I have read the heads are different but do not know how.
This will probably be my last bike and a new one is out of the question. So with that little bit of info I would like to ask a question or two rom those that know.

I would like to keep price about 6k and in that range is there any year or model I should avoid?

Hello handirifle. I am 79 and have owned a 883/1200 for several years. They are all good and a lot of fun and taken care of will give good service for at least 100,000 miles. Even if you have bad luck, an overhaul will not break the bank. My son has a 2005 1200 which I think is one of the last years they even sound like a Harley should. Whatever you get just remember you are extremely vulnerable frome the moment you saddle up until you walk away.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:04 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle

The 883 is only about 40 horsepower or so- I'd avoid them.

The XR1200X is arguably the most competent version. They have the most conventional geometry, the best ergonomics, the Big Piston fork, floating front brake rotors, a 17" rear wheel, and about 80 horsepower. They quit making them about five years ago- you should have no trouble finding a used one in your price range.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok xr1200x. Will have to have a look see.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Those have a bit more of a sport bike ergo to them but I am more of a conventional big butt seat kinda guy. Can those be converted easily? The extra power would be nice but not sure it is necessary for me.

Quick Reply: New guy looking for advicewith that bit of. Info