Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber grips for sportster

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Turbomunkey
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Rubber grips for sportster

Ive been having hand discomfort issues with my 2006 1200L, where as on my FZ09 they seem to be fine. The major difference being the FZ has skinny little rubber grips, while my sportster has these burly HD brand ones that look cool and what not but are neither comfortable or grippy. I would like to get just a basic slim rubber grips from somewhere like Biltwell but it seems like when you buy rubber grips, you are literally just getting the grips. What I need to know is, where do I get the actual throttle tube that the grip will slide onto? This seems like a really dumb question to ask but I am unaware as ive changed grips before. My ultimate goal is to have the grips be as small in diameter as possible.

thanks

Jon

Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Biltwell would be happy to sell you a throttle tube as well.

https://www.biltwellinc.com/c128/buy/1-inch/

(be aware there are tiny little brass parts that like to go flying and disappear when you disassemble your throttle.)

I went the other way and removed the stock skinny, cement-like grips and installed Biltwell Kung Fu grips.
I did not want to buy that whiskey throttle tube so I had to spend 2 hours peeling the grip off the oem tube with a sharp knife. Next time, I'm spending the 50 and getting that tube. Hair spray from the dollar store will hold the grips on like glue....also provide lube to get them on while it's wet. Good luck.

Last edited by underwhelmd; 08-15-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Turbomunkey
Tourer

Originally Posted by underwhelmd
Biltwell would be happy to sell you a throttle tube as well.

https://www.biltwellinc.com/c128/buy/1-inch/

(be aware there are tiny little brass parts that like to go flying and disappear when you disassemble your throttle.)

I went the other way and removed the stock skinny, cement-like grips and installed Biltwell Kung Fu grips.
I did not want to buy that whiskey throttle tube so I had to spend 2 hours peeling the grip off the oem tube with a sharp knife. Next time, I'm spending the 50 and getting that tube. Hair spray from the dollar store will hold the grips on like glue....also provide lube to get them while it's wet. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply. I did in fact end up getting that whiskey tube and some grips from biltwell. I suppose at this point I will get them, install them, and maybe check back in with some input.

Thank you

Jon

Old 08-15-2018, 05:03 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Which grips did you buy? Just curious.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbomunkey
Ive been having hand discomfort issues with my 2006 1200L, where as on my FZ09 they seem to be fine. The major difference being the FZ has skinny little rubber grips, while my sportster has these burly HD brand ones that look cool and what not but are neither comfortable or grippy. I would like to get just a basic slim rubber grips from somewhere like Biltwell but it seems like when you buy rubber grips, you are literally just getting the grips. What I need to know is, where do I get the actual throttle tube that the grip will slide onto? This seems like a really dumb question to ask but I am unaware as ive changed grips before. My ultimate goal is to have the grips be as small in diameter as possible.

thanks

Jon
Not a direct answer to your questions but.....

I've always had hand cramps and numbness with the skinny stock grips. I used to get the "Vintage" "Classic" or whatever they call them - the ones with the rubber ribs and kinda fatter in the middle, from HD. Got a pair for my FLHR recently and they feel real plastic, not like the old rubber. So........ for my Iron 1200 I got some leather grip wraps from JP Cycle for like $10. <happy dance> no more cramping, look good, great "grab", and a whole lot less work than swapping grips on a bike with a cable throttle. Out less $$ too.

Just a thought, don't wanna derail yer project. I'm just putting this out there for someone who stumbles along this thread 20 years from now or whatever <haha>

Old 08-16-2018, 09:41 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,008 Likes on 2,557 Posts

The stock HD grips are approximately 1 1/4" diameter for both. The throttle control would be with the tube as far as I can tell.
GRIP AND SLEEVE, throttle Part no. 56666-04
HANDLEBAR GRIP Part no. 56667-04

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 08-16-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:13 PM
MikeK13
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

If vibration is what you are experiencing like i did. I did some research and bought these Avon Grips

I like Biltwells stuff too but these were a huge improvment

Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 PM
Turbomunkey
Tourer

Originally Posted by underwhelmd
Which grips did you buy? Just curious.
i purchased the kung fu grips in oxblood to semi match my two tone tank