Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration at highway speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Bike_Boat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at highway speeds.

New rider and new to the forum. Just bought an '05 XL 1200 C and love riding it. Already have 800 miles in two weeks. My question is about vibration at highway speeds. When I hit 55 MPH plus I get a pretty severe vibration going -- actually makes it hard to read road signs and images in the mirrors are bouncing like crazy. The ride is still comfortable, the vibe is just a little annoying. Seems to be caused by the engine more than the suspension. Being a new rider I wasn't sure if this was just the way Sportsters ride or if there are ways to smooth out the ride.

Any ideas?

Old 10-21-2005, 06:08 PM
brohrs
Road Captain
Default RE: Vibration at highway speeds.

Just part of owning a Harley. We call it the side mirror shakes.

Old 10-21-2005, 06:15 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you are having a stroke.

Just kiddin'. Some of the mirrors have a couple of allen screws on the back that will tighten the mirror a bit. Also, make sure the mirrors are tight to the handle bars. Oftentimes when the bikes are assembled at the shop, they don't always get everything snugged up. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give all the fasteners the once over.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:39 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum BB. I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal. My bike vibrates a tad a hwy speeds so that its a little hard to see in the mirrors but it's not uncomfortable and it's still a very smooth ride. I have found that I have gotten used to it and learned how to check the mirrors and turn my head before I swtich lanes. If it's that annoying, you might want to have your dealer check it out for you. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bike_Boat

When I hit 55 MPH plus I get a pretty severe vibration going
Look at this way BB...If you had one of them smoothies, you'd have to buy a vibrator as an accessory. Vibrators aren't cheep.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think that rubber mount Sporty vibrates, you shouldride an older one! My 03 is horrible onthe highway. But I dont know of a BT that can keep up with me on a twisty back road! Make sure your mirrors aretight, check the torque on anything you bolted on (to include your lisence plate) and ride the vibe!

Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if your ride is vibrating, thats one thing. but if its bouncing too sounds like you have 2 issues. as far as the vibrating, i put a 30 tooth pully on my 97 and it doesnt vibrate near as much, plus iso grips and pegs help a ton. if its bouncing you may want to check to see if the wheel is ballanced properly. good luck

Old 10-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Anniesage
Road Master

I owned a 05 1200C Sporty also - and the ride was interesting once I was going over 60mph. Although first inclination would be to check the tire pressure and wheel balance - however, it was pretty standard in seeing the world shaking up and down in my mirrors. And grizzly is right - you should ride on that isn't rubber mounted. But you do end up getting used to it.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:08 AM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get it. I don't experience much ENGINE vibration at highway speed. 60-70 something mph is as smooth as it can get. What I do experience is my head bopping up and down with the bike from road imperfections because the suspension is so damn stiff. Once I reach 80-90 mph the ride becomes interesting. The bike wants to go straight but my body acts like a sail and I really feel the pressure of the wind against me wanting to blow me off the bike. Once I tuck down the bike can take me 100+ without any problems. I'm pretty sure a windshield would solve some of these problems. My vibration problem is in second gear over 30 mph. Third gear will be smooth, fourth gear also (although I rarely stay in fourth) and fifth gear will be smooth. Ya the bike vibrates, but it's in narrow rpm ranges. However, it isn't all that bad.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:34 AM
D1LD
Cruiser

Yes im a newbie also to the harly ride and my 96 883 vibrates a bit too and i some times think i may be over reving the engine then i will shift up a gear and then i hear some like clunking sounds like its lugging but i am told by all the people i know that have been riding harlys for 30 plus years let it vibrate not clunk because its normal so vibrate on

Quick Reply: Vibration at highway speeds.