Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant start after storage for 2 years?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:55 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,407 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I agree with all the others, go buy a new battery and make sure it is fully charged before you install it.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

It already flunked the load test when ya can hear the solenoid just a buzzin.
Nothing further needed .

Old 08-06-2018, 09:10 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I've seen batteries lose the amps for starting, but still have voltage. Therefore you'll have 13V when checking with a meter, but when you go to start, "click". Change the battery and you should be fine.

This, one that's been sitting can show a good surface charge with a meter but have nothing when you hit the button. quit chasing your tail and go get it load tested.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:32 AM
wcwinans
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think you all may be right. I had someone charge the battery for me and said it was good so i believed them when i checked it with a multimeter. I should have followed my gut and just gotten a new battery to begin with. I'll take it down to the auto parts store and see if they can load test it for me. The only problem is that I have it stored at my folks place in their garage because I'm traveling for work a lot lately.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by wcwinans
Yeah, I think you all may be right. I had someone charge the battery for me and said it was good so i believed them when i checked it with a multimeter. I should have followed my gut and just gotten a new battery to begin with. I'll take it down to the auto parts store and see if they can load test it for me. The only problem is that I have it stored at my folks place in their garage because I'm traveling for work a lot lately.

You really need to keep your bike on a tender when not riding it for a while. I have a pal with the identical problem, except his remote garage has no power. If that is also the case for you then you need to get into the habit of taking the battery back home with you, to keep it on that tender.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:25 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 681 Posts

And if you absolutely cannot put it on a tender, at least disconnect the battery when not running for awhile as that will remove the drain - bikes these days have some drain if only to power the clock, alarm, or whatever.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:37 PM
SPORTSTER0311
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Buy a battery tender and keep it at your parents house. They’re about 20$ and will help make your battery last. They have quick connect connections and just plug it in whenever you finish a ride so it’ll be charged the next time you go to ride it.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i disagree with everyone here, i think you have that sumping problem everyone is talking about. Take it to the dealer and tell them its sumping just like all the rest, see what they say.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by wcwinans

Any time you charge a battery it will be left with a higher than normal "surface charge" from the charging process.
To get a TRUE reading of the actual battery voltage after removing the charger, turn the ignition key to ON for ~20 seconds (headlight On), then back off. This bleeds off the surface charge.
Now you can measure the actual battery voltage.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:55 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
i disagree with everyone here, i think you have that sumping problem everyone is talking about. Take it to the dealer and tell them its sumping just like all the rest, see what they say.
Sorry, but a sump full of oil won't cause solenoid clicking unless the battery is dead or very low.

Quick Reply: Cant start after storage for 2 years?? Help