Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Iron 1200 - P0131 code issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:27 AM
sbmassey
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy 2018 Iron 1200 - P0131 code issue.

Hi everyone, I did a search over the forums and didn't see this already asked...so if I missed something, my apologies.

I recently picked up a 2018 Iron 1200. It's been a great bike, and fun as hell to ride. So, recently, after removing the exhaust to put on the rear passenger pegs, my front 02 sensor went bad..no strain on the wiring, but weird...so I took it too the dealership and they replaced the sensor. Ran great for a couple of days and then the check engine light came on. I checked the code, and it was throwing a P0131. If i cleared it, it would stay off for a while, and then come on again randomly. So, back to the dealer I went...they replaced the sensor AGAIN, cleared the code and said it should be fine. As soon as I started the bike back up, it came on again. The dealer then cleared the code again, told me it was fine to ride, but if it keeps throwing the code, to just bring it back in. Well, the code still flashes at random times (low RPMs, High RPMs, smooth roads, bumpy roads, etc). Sometimes it'll stay off for a day or two and then come back again.

I just picked up a VH FP3 and a big sucker air cleaner to get some more air in there and to see if tuning it a bit might help...and it seems to have...but I'm still getting the code, just not as often.

I'm about to take it back to the dealer, but I wanted to do as much as I could by myself since the bike is my daily commuter and its a pain to be without it for more than a day.

Thanks for reading my novel.

Last edited by sbmassey; 08-03-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Spelling. :)
The following users liked this post:
Tran Phuc Thanh (10-27-2020)
Old 08-03-2018, 09:00 AM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

I would take it to the dealer, politely say they need to fix this and prevent it from happening again BEFORE you add on the FP3. That will void your powertrain warranty and they may just say tough ****.

Who removed the exhaust? If you did, do they know? I'm surprised they would even attempt fixing anything knowing a customer did that. If the dealer installed the passenger pegs, make them correct everything.

If it's not the actual sensor, maybe the wire?

Last edited by TimmyPage; 08-03-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Tran Phuc Thanh (10-27-2020)
Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,623 Likes on 3,297 Posts

DO NOT even mention an FP3, OR reflash the bike before the dealer makes this right. If you have already reflashed the bike, you're more than likely screwed warranty wise.

Last edited by firehawk6; 08-03-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:45 AM
sbmassey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
I would take it to the dealer, politely say they need to fix this and prevent it from happening again BEFORE you add on the FP3. That will void your powertrain warranty and they may just say tough ****.

Who removed the exhaust? If you did, do they know? I'm surprised they would even attempt fixing anything knowing a customer did that. If the dealer installed the passenger pegs, make them correct everything.

If it's not the actual sensor, maybe the wire?
I didn't mention that I removed the exhaust myself to put on the peg. They have pretty good attitudes in regards to that kind of thing. Either way..I've started looking at the wiring, but haven't found any issues yet.

Unfortunately I have already installed the FP3 and flashed the map. I know they can see if the map has been changed. I was thinking that a factory ECM reset (not through the VH) might clear the map history...if there is such a thing.

But yeah, may have screwed myself. We'll see.

Last edited by sbmassey; 08-03-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 AM
sbmassey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by firehawk6
DO NOT even mention an FP3, OR reflash the bike before the dealer makes this right. If you have already reflashed the bike, you're more than likely screwed warranty wise.
Yeah...that's what I'm thinking. An expensive rookie mistake.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:04 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Here is a section of the P0131 diagnostics info from my 2013 Electrical Service Manual-

Since you had the exhaust loose:
Loose/leaking exhaust: This can cause a poor ground connection for the sensor or allow fresh air into the exhaust
system. If fresh air enters exhaust system, the O2 sensor will read a lean condition, causing the system to go rich.

Diag Tips-
O2 sensor diagnostic codes may be seen during the vehicle break-in period.
If the DTCs are reported during the break-in period, clear or ignore the codes until the breakin
period is completed. All historic O2 sensor DTCs are to be ignored and cleared.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:21 PM
sbmassey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by shanneba
Here is a section of the P0131 diagnostics info from my 2013 Electrical Service Manual-

Since you had the exhaust loose:
Loose/leaking exhaust: This can cause a poor ground connection for the sensor or allow fresh air into the exhaust
system. If fresh air enters exhaust system, the O2 sensor will read a lean condition
Ah, that makes sense, and I haven’t thought to check that. Thanks for the tips! I’ll let you know what I find.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:23 PM
BeardTillDeath
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

A P0131 (front) or P0151 (rear) is set when the ECM detects an excessively lean condition for a specified length of time. DTCs may also set if HO2S fails.

Thats straight from the 2018 Electrical Diag Manual. You probably have the wrong map in your FP3. Best way to remedy is call V&H Support and ask for the correct map. If you take it to the dealership and they have to submit a warranty or talk to HD Tech Services, they will have to submit a screen shot of your current download, and it will show that you have a FP3 and your powertrain will be voided. You dont want that, so try to remedy the issue yourself by calling V&H first.
An ECM reflash wont solve your problem, it will still show as being "Race Tuned". You would have to purchase a blank ECM and have it installed on the bike with a stock download, at that point you're already looking at a hefty bill.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:30 PM
sbmassey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BeardTillDeath
A P0131 (front) or P0151 (rear) is set when the ECM detects an excessively lean condition for a specified length of time. DTCs may also set if HO2S fails.

Thats straight from the 2018 Electrical Diag Manual. You probably have the wrong map in your FP3. Best way to remedy is call V&H Support and ask for the correct map. If you take it to the dealership and they have to submit a warranty or talk to HD Tech Services, they will have to submit a screen shot of your current download, and it will show that you have a FP3 and your powertrain will be voided. You dont want that, so try to remedy the issue yourself by calling V&H first.
An ECM reflash wont solve your problem, it will still show as being "Race Tuned". You would have to purchase a blank ECM and have it installed on the bike with a stock download, at that point you're already looking at a hefty bill.
I’ll give em a call then. Though the issue started with the stock set up, after the exhaust was removed then reinstalled.
After I check for leaks, I’ll give VH a shout it it doesn’t correct.

Thank y’all for all the helpful replies thus far.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:49 PM
sbmassey
6th Gear

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I did did some testing, and it looks like the front exhaust port (if that’s even the correct nomenclature), has a leak.

I’ll adjust that and see how she fares.

Yall are awesome.

shanneba (08-03-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 Iron 1200 - P0131 code issue.