Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interstate riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:16 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interstate riding

Going on my first long interstate ride and am a little nervous. I live in Metro Detroit so I figure if I can manuever this city I should be good to go on the interstate. Any good pointers are appreciated.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Interstate riding

Once you get out of the city and on the road, be aware of the air that will come off of traffic, especially big trucks when you pass them, or they pass you. It can blow ya around pretty good sometimes.

Also be sure to stop and hydrate yourself. In this heat that can quickly become a problem when you're out on the road moving non-stop for a good while. Since you are moving, you don't really feel that you are hot, but you will be sweating and not realize it because the "wind" evaporates the sweat and you can become dangerously de-hyrated.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't like riding the interstates. I find riding the slab for any length of time to be boring. Be aware of what SportyPig said and know that the boredom of the slab can lull you into being sleepy. Don't let that happen. Stop as often as you need to stay alert...

Be safe!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't want to scare you, but a long time ago someone told me there were two types of bikers, "those that have gone down and those that will go down" If this makes you a little nervous I think its good, I am still in the second group after 34 years.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
King Kobra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interstates to me are some of the safest riding IMO other than the speeds that you will achieve. Why? Well you don't have as many intersections, and by intersections I mean any place that intersects the road you are on such as a parking lot or another adjoining road. Those are always more dangerous. The only issue I have on intersates that I don't enjoy is the wind which comss with speed and other large vehicles. I don't ride with a windshield and the fatigue thatI get in my hands from gripping a bit harder because of the wind pushing me back is not something I find enjoyable. I have about 20 mins of interstate riding when going to work but many times on the way home i try and take more back roads as that is more enjoyable and less wind.

Also I find that the safest place for me is always the right lane for various reasons. In the middlelane there is a hazard of always being in someones blind spot and someone coming over on ya. In the right laneI can go my speed and not have to worry to much about people tailgating as they will do in the left lane (fast lane).Also if something goes wrong with my bike I don't have to try and cross over 2 lanes of traffic to get off the road in the right lane.

The main thing to pay close attention towhen riding the right lane is merging traffic.Just slow down or speed up and you should be fine to give the other vehicles plenty of room and space to merge in. Anyways hope some of this helps and perhaps others have a different approach for interstae ridingbut this works for me and hopefully helps you out a bit in the long run.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
AwfHand
Cruiser

The big issues come up on the I in urban areas...
Try to avoid the side with the exit/entrance lanes. This may vary with L/R exits. People here are often coming from the mall, shops,or movie theater and haven't gotten their head "back in the game" of I-driving yet.

Look through vehicles' glass ahead to help anticipate what drivers are about to do. i.e. someone craning a neck to see in the outside rearview may be about tochange lanes. Use large vehicles to run blocker in heavy traffic. From their high vantage point, they can see a lot further ahead. They also can't stop as fast as you can. Note this if you are in front of one.
Earplugs help tune out unwanted noise and allow you to pay some more attention. Don't be afraid to stop and rest frequently. Your engine, running at higher than normal RPM, will cause you to tense up internally and become tired more rapidly (I call it (engine fatigue").

Biggest of all:
Plan your route and the route ahead. Some sections aren't worth the risk, and you could miss some scenery. All you see on the Interstate is Interstate. Be safe!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the tips...much appreciated.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimC

Don't want to scare you, but a long time ago someone told me there were two types of bikers, "those that have gone down and those that will go down"

Sorry to disagree, but don't agree with the 2-Group 'doom and gloom' theory of 'those that have gone down, and those that will'.

I've been riding for over 35 years, never gone down, and the majority of those that I have ridden with for many years have also never gone down.

The same goes with those that drive 4-wheel vehicles. Many people drive their entire life without being involved in an accident.

True, you have to be careful whenever you are on a bike, as there is always the possibility of some drunk plowing into you.

But the majority of accidents (and most that I read about in various forums) are caused by rider error. Lack of experience, not riding in a defensive mode, riding beyond your abilities, or not riding correctly when dealing with existing road or weather conditions.

Most single vehicle accidents are caused by some type of rider error, and they don't need to happen.

Always ride in a safe defensive mode, and never assume that other vehicles on the road are going to do what you expect

As the old saying goes; even if you have the right of way, never expect that you will be given the right of way.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 PM
dsuppa
Road Captain

I've only been riding for about a year and I'm just now getting "comfortable" on highway rides.
I also stay in the right lane unless I get behind a truck,which is never a good spot to be with the wind, kick-up and possible tire shrapnel flying off of them.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you get up fairly close behind a large vehicle (tractor/trailer for example)you will notice alot of wind buffeting that is uncomfortable. Either get around the truck right now or fall back and get out of his wind shadow. Nothing bad will happen if you stay in it, it's just that it can become tiring after awhile.

Also, if you "go with the flow" you will have a much more relaxed and enjoyable trip than if youkeep trying to spit into the wind.

Quick Reply: Interstate riding