Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interstate riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM
evilscotsman
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Interstate riding

I live near Toledo and take I-75 to work every day (73 mile a day interstatecommute to Lima) on my '07 Sporty XL1200 Low. I work 2nd shift so I do a lot of night riding on the interstate as well. As mentioned in a previous post, be aware of the draft and wind sheer that comes off other vehicles (especially semis). You also need to make sure to adjust yourentry speedand maintain throttle through the long sweeper turns (don't slow during the turn). Keep yourself a nice 12 second cushion between you and traffic if at all possible. I am fortunate enough that I journey the same stretch of road each day, so I know what to expect from the road itself. You never know when you'll hit a bump or ride into a deep groove that will upset your balance, so most importantly STAY AWARE AT ALL TIMES! If you're sleepy or groggy, get off the road and rest or get a cup of coffee. Good luck and Godspeed. Ride safe and make sure your guardian bell is in proper working condition.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:23 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done some long interstate rides. Others' info is accurate and good. I ride 20 miles each way on the 101 around Phoenix each day. Watch out for idiots changing lanes into you or passing and then slowing. Some people will actually try to wreck you if you aren't careful. Give everyone plenty of room...and if someone tailgates, don't speed up...slow down...force them to pass you. Take your time and don't get in a big hurry. Don't overdrive your abilities...rest often.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: seikan1

I have done some long interstate rides. Others' info is accurate and good. I ride 20 miles each way on the 101 around Phoenix each day. Watch out for idiots changing lanes into you or passing and then slowing. Some people will actually try to wreck you if you aren't careful. Give everyone plenty of room...and if someone tailgates, don't speed up...slow down...force them to pass you. Take your time and don't get in a big hurry. Don't overdrive your abilities...rest often.
Boy I use this advice everytime I ride. Regardless of WHERE I'm riding. This is Great advice.

I've only ridden once on the freeway in my short riding career. It wasn't nearly as scarey as I thought it was going to be. However, you have to be VERY mindful of all of the things folks here have mentioned.

Good luck on your ride. Ride Safe.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: TimC

Don't want to scare you, but a long time ago someone told me there were two types of bikers, "those that have gone down and those that will go down"

Sorry to disagree, but don't agree with the 2-Group 'doom and gloom' theory of 'those that have gone down, and those that will'.

I've been riding for over 35 years, never gone down, and the majority of those that I have ridden with for many years have also never gone down.

The same goes with those that drive 4-wheel vehicles. Many people drive their entire life without being involved in an accident.

True, you have to be careful whenever you are on a bike, as there is always the possibility of some drunk plowing into you.

But the majority of accidents (and most that I read about in various forums) are caused by rider error. Lack of experience, not riding in a defensive mode, riding beyond your abilities, or not riding correctly when dealing with existing road or weather conditions.

Most single vehicle accidents are caused by some type of rider error, and they don't need to happen.

Always ride in a safe defensive mode, and never assume that other vehicles on the road are going to do what you expect

As the old saying goes; even if you have the right of way, never expect that you will be given the right of way.
I think my advice is just another way of saying what you said. If someone keeps in the back of his mind what can happen, they will ride more safetly. Again there are those riders that have gone down, and if someone has the attitude that they will never go down, they are asking for trouble and not riding as you suggest. I have been riding with this attitude for almost 40 years and it has served me well.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd rather spend all day riding on an interstate than riding for 1 hour in a large city..

City traffic is crazy, with everyone in a hurry to get no where special.

Maybe that's why I like living out in the 'boondocks'...

Old 06-27-2007, 08:25 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

First time I rode on the interstate I did not have my windshield on or my full face helmet, if something hits you in the face it could leave a mark!

Tom

Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
techdct
Advanced

There is one more really important aspect to riding on the Interstate versus most two lane back roads. One is that before you change to the left lane to pass, be sure you check a couple of times in your mirror before executing the pass. I have experienced a car coming up on me at about 90 MPH and a single look to see him way back was not enough. The 2nd look showed me he was going at a high rate of speed and would be up on me if I had executed the move at the initial look. So you need to be really away of what is coming up behind you. You don't have to worry so much about someone pulling out in front of you, so in many regards, it is probably safer per mile than other roads.

A second important thing to watch out for, espeically during the summer, is the 18-Wheeler re-tread blow out. I don't linger by 18-wheelers when passing. Get on around, then slow back down. Also the 18 wheeler will gain a lot speed down the hills, so if you are passing one, then be aware of that and don't come back in too soon on him.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup! All great advice. Water's good!I have a Camelbak hydration pack I sometimes carry with me on long rides. Stop every 100 miles or so to gas up, rehydrate, stretch, pee, smoke, rest, eat a little, or whatever. Planningyour stops is excellent advice, as well as the entire route.

Watch out for the occasional rain grooves! They are NOT fun the first couple of times you experience them.

Wind blast from high-sided vehicles and cross winds. I experienceone or both of these almostevery time I ride, and if you aren't paying attention, the bike could move over on you more than you expect. I've never been "blown over" more than a foot, and the buffeting from semi trucks doesn't bother me at all any more. Windshield helps. Face shield on helmet helps.Did I mention windshield helps?

If your ride is through aMAJOR metropolitan area (such as Detroit or Dallas), avoid it from around 4pm-7pm. Or from 7am to 10am. I personally think afternoon rush hour is worse than mornings, but that's just my own opinion.

Post highlights and lowlights of your trip after it's completed. I'd like to know how it went.

Just be careful and aware of your surroundings, and you'll be fine.

Teek

Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain

Thanks for the advice and I'l post how my trip went. I'm going to leave the Detroit Metro area at 04:30 on a saturday morning and that will get me out of Detroit and through Toledo by 06:30 then my only other city is Columbus Ohio and I dont think it will be to bad around 09:00 on a staurday. This is my first real big adventure on my bike and I'm going to take my time and enjoy it.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Tiggeresq
Advanced

All good advice (except one which I will not address). I try ride in the left or the right portion of the lane I'm in - not the center. Normally it's the left half of the lane, however, that changes at times when I'll ride in the right half if it's easier to see or be seen.

The center portion of the lanes is where you'll encounter debris and oil and other crap. It's another good reasonyou should never tailgate. A car will drive right over debris in the road - a motorcycle cannot (those truck tire blowouts can be dangerous for days with the debris they leave behind).

I also use the "cruise control" when traffic is fairly light. I Don't twist it all the way to lock the throttle (I have but I know it's stupid), just far enough to make holding the throttle open less tiring on your hand.

Stay loose and have fun.

Quick Reply: Interstate riding