Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles with a full tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:32 AM
RRider
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jquest
Had to experience to see myself. I ran it dry at 92 miles. It seems to be below average compare to what everybody seems to get with their sporty. I believe there’s something wrong. Can a bad fuel pump be the problem?
After running out ,how much fuel did it take to fill up?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Blacks
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The furthest I've made it with my 2017 Iron is 220kms (about 137miles) and it started to sputter a bit. I was doing a test to see how far I could go and had my spare fuel canister with me. I was just a couple kms from a gas station when it started sputtering so I pulled in. Might have squeaked out a few extra kms but it gives me my range.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

im not sure about the history of the bike as I bought it used off a dealer. Could tuning it fix the issue? If so how does it work?
If your burning excessive fuel. Ya plugs are going to be all black and sooty in color along with ya exhausts, And that’s something that you can check in just a couple of minutes
But if you do have a rich running condition, it’s going to shorten you oil life between changes and wash down the cylinder walls which might cause excessive wear on rings and liners over time.
Id check plugs , exhausts, and see if you have anything plugged into your data port connector. This should take all of 5 minutes to do and be a good starting point as to what’s going on every time she goes bang.

Good luck

Wiz 🍺

Old 07-03-2018, 04:16 PM
jquest
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

If your burning excessive fuel. Ya plugs are going to be all black and sooty in color along with ya exhausts, And that’s something that you can check in just a couple of minutes
But if you do have a rich running condition, it’s going to shorten you oil life between changes and wash down the cylinder walls which might cause excessive wear on rings and liners over time.
Id check plugs , exhausts, and see if you have anything plugged into your data port connector. This should take all of 5 minutes to do and be a good starting point as to what’s going on every time she goes bang.

Good luck

Wiz ��

So if my plugs and exhaust is black, what should be my next step into fixing this issue? What do you mean by checking my data port? Where here is my data port connector located and how does it look like? Thanks

Last edited by jquest; 07-03-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

So if my plugs and exhaust is black, what should be my next step into fixing this issue? What do you mean by checking my data port? Where here is my data port connector located and how does it look like? Thanks
The data port on my sporty is on the left hand side and under the left battery side cover. Every bike will be different location so google your make and model for its whereabouts.

Some tuners need to be plugged into your bike all the time. Unlike the power vision I have , that’s only required to be plugged in when auto tuning or flashing the ecm.

Check ya plugs and exhaust first, that’s where the tail will be told. I’d even have a good look at the air filter element and make sure that’s not blocked up , I’d even clean it just as a precaution as a blocked air filter will give you run rich results.

Wiz

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 07-03-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:11 PM
jquest
Advanced

I just spoke with a tech at Harley and they told me 90 miles is common since its a 2 gallon stock tank. I still find that hard to believe as I always assume its a 3.3 gallon stock tank. Regardless off its tank capacity, im still concerned about that fact it starts to cut out everytime the gas light comes on. To be more specific, as soon as it cuts out, acceleration is decreased and the engine comes right back online...all this happens in a matter of 1 second or less. And it happens every time I accelerate from a stop.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

I just spoke with a tech at Harley and they told me 90 miles is common since its a 2 gallon stock tank. I still find that hard to believe as I always assume its a 3.3 gallon stock tank. Regardless off its tank capacity, im still concerned about that fact it starts to cut out everytime the gas light comes on. To be more specific, as soon as it cuts out, acceleration is decreased and the engine comes right back online...all this happens in a matter of 1 second or less. And it happens every time I accelerate from a stop.
2 gallon tank @ 90 miles per tank full = 45 / gallon.

( scratches head. What’s this thread about ? )

Wiz 🤔

Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 PM
jquest
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

2 gallon tank @ 90 miles per tank full = 45 / gallon.

( scratches head. What’s this thread about ? )

Wiz 🤔
Aren't stock tank suppose to be 3.3 gallons? Seems like a lot of folks here are averaging 120 miles full tank. My other main concern is the fact that it cuts off at acceleration once gas light turns on (As stated on my latest post) ; which no one here experience this problem at low gas.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 PM
RRider
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When you run out how many gallons to fill it up?

Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 PM
SPORTSTER0311
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I got a 4.5 gallon tank now and it’s amazing to go over 100 without the fuel light coming on. With the 2.1 it came on at like 60. I usually get 35-40. I also ride pretty aggressive.

Quick Reply: How many miles with a full tank?