Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issue Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took off my speedometer cover to get to my ignition switch. The voltage for all is still 13.2 whether the switch is on or off.

I conducted a test to where I put a wire from the battery negative terminal and touched it to the area located in the image below. When I did that I saw two lights come on (turn signal maybe...not sure with the cover off, but wanted to run in here and let you guys know). I attached the diagram from the original ignition switch that was on the bike (not the new one I have, but it is built the same). When hooking this up I wired it exactly as it was before.

Based on what I found, is it safe to say that the ignition switch isn't grounded correctly? I didn't want to hold my self made ground wire to it long because it would create a small spark every time. What do you all think?

Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

I can't see any reason for a Ignition switch to be grounded. From what I can see in your diagram, the ground wire runs from the motor mount to one of the mounting screws for the ignition switch. The ground wire does NOT go to a terminal on the Ignition switch. If the ground wire goes to the mounting screw, the It may be used to ground the dash plate so that the indicator lights for turn signals & high beam work. It may also be grounding the speedometer back lights.

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 06-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,979 Likes on 4,171 Posts
The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,410 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Obviously you are going to follow your own troubleshooting ideas, using your zero amount of electrical troubleshooting knowledge.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-13-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:28 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,344 Posts

The only wire on the ignition switch that should have power with the switch "off" is the red wire coming from the main circuit breaker. The other wires only get power when you move the switch. I would trace those other wires if they are "hot" because something is wrong.

John

Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

The only wire on the ignition switch that should have power with the switch "off" is the red wire coming from the main circuit breaker. The other wires only get power when you move the switch. I would trace those other wires if they are "hot" because something is wrong.

Perhaps you have the wire from the main circuit breaker connect to the wrong terminal on the switch?

John

Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Pfarley1
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Harper

Perhaps you have the wire from the main circuit breaker connect to the wrong terminal on the switch?

John
The power wire is hooked up where the diagram is showing.

The other two wires from the ignition switch go to the breakers, all of which are reading 13v.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:07 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,979 Likes on 4,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

Good luck.
Don't give up...if you go back a little way in history, this bike did run. At the time however, I think it was described as not so well if that helps.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-14-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:13 AM
Pfarley1
Advanced

Yes, it did run. The initial issue was my carburetor and I fixed it then went to start the bike and all of this started happening. Before I went to fix the carb the power worked fine.

I am thinking about taking it into a shop, but ultimately I want to fix it myself since I have invested so much time. Testing for electrical issues is new to me, so just trying to learn along the way.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:56 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

If all those wires are hot to the breakers, are they hot after the breakers? If they all have (+) on one side (but nothing happens), then there must be no ground for them on the other side. The fact you ran a wire from the (-) of the battery and got a circuit. Basically, an open circuit sounds like your problem. Have you checked that ground strap wire from the battery (-) to the stud on the engine (should be above transmission) Have you cleaned the contacts on both ends, battery and engine stud? Have you checked that ground wire for corrosion?

There are some smaller grounding wires down by your rear brake switch, check them too, one may be broken. If you have power to the breakers, then there is no ground on the other end of the line.

John

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue Help