Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 883 low

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 06:49 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 294 Posts
Default 2005 883 low

I just got a 2005 883 sportster low. On the highway it will go to a top speed of 75 to 80 mph but it struggles to get there and if going up a fairly steep hill it will slow to 55 to 60 mph and will not go higher. It seems to run well, burns no oil and sounds good. It has cycle shack slip ons but is other wise stock. I weigh 180 lbs. Is this normal for a 883 or not.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 632 Likes on 288 Posts

No, it's not normal. Take it to the shop.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:36 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

There's a lot of places to start with this one. First, are you twisting the throttle wide open? 😁 jk. But really, is it topping out at 80 with you really gettin on it?

Any stumbling, misfires, or hiccups while accelerating? Does the bike sound like it's struggling? Any aftermarket parts like exhaust or air cleaner?

Old 06-03-2018, 08:44 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default 883

Originally Posted by BlackBettyXLC
There's a lot of places to start with this one. First, are you twisting the throttle wide open? 😁 jk. But really, is it topping out at 80 with you really gettin on it?

Any stumbling, misfires, or hiccups while accelerating? Does the bike sound like it's struggling? Any aftermarket parts like exhaust or air cleaner?
have cycle shack slip-ons, otherwise I think its stock. Throttle was wide open. (I also checked to make sure the throttle opened fully by checking it with the motor off and the air cleaner off) No stumbling, no strange unusual noises don't know about struggling but just no response

Old 06-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Jak_Rak
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBettyXLC
There's a lot of places to start with this one. First, are you twisting the throttle wide open?
You may have been joking but you bring up a valid point.

Remove the air cleaner assembly and be sure the throttle plate on the carb is actually opened all the way at or near WOT. I had a old Suzuki twin that ran fine at city speeds, but was not getting full opening of the butterfly at full throttle because of an out of adjustment throttle cable.

EDIT: beat me to it. So...ignition? Weak spark? Check the plugs?

Last edited by Jak_Rak; 06-03-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:02 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default 883 low

Originally Posted by Jak_Rak
You may have been joking but you bring up a valid point.

Remove the air cleaner assembly and be sure the throttle plate on the carb is actually opened all the way at or near WOT. I had a old Suzuki twin that ran fine at city speeds, but was not getting full opening of the butterfly at full throttle because of an out of adjustment throttle cable.

EDIT: beat me to it. So...ignition? Weak spark? Check the plugs?
Checked that. It opens fully. Bike starts good runs good just has no speed

Old 06-03-2018, 10:51 PM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your jetting.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:25 PM
Jak_Rak
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Checked that. It opens fully. Bike starts good runs good just has no speed
It might run well at low speeds, but obviously there is a problem somewhere, since you're experiencing power loss going up hills.

Again, check your spark plugs. A plug that is marginal may work fine at low speeds or under light load, but under high revs or heavy load, it may begin to fail. Same with your coil. If you have a multimeter, test the coil. Check your plug wires as well. If you have any questions about the condition of your spark plugs, replace them. They're cheap.

We all know that our engines need fuel, air and spark. Assuming that your bike is getting enough air, the problem lies in one (or both) of the other areas.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 AM
Razz06
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Gerald
silly idea try changing the battery. I had a similar problem with my 2009 low with a thunder max
half warm day could not over take at 100 km down hill asked around not much helped
sent email to thunder max ( I think zippers) only a couple of emails back and forth got into a pissing comp about day temp
tryed explaining that the day temp wasn't hot like normal temps ( I think 30-32 not the 38-40)so I give up with them
let it go for about a year and a bit then it got cold (winter) and battery started showing signs of failing replace it and power/fuel economy came back, now I don't have to drop gears on some hills
i never thought once a bike is running the battery would affect it like that ( the battery didn't struggle to start it until winter)

Old 06-04-2018, 01:10 PM
gerald martin
Road Master

Thanks for all your answers. Found the problem. Its the vacuum piston in the carb. It does not go up when the engine is running therefore blocking air into the carb. Checked it out. the diaphragm has a rip in it. got a kit ordered

Quick Reply: 2005 883 low