Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Turn Signal Swap - Non LED

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 04:21 AM
joshag
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Turn Signal Swap - Non LED

2001 Sportster 883 Hugger

I'm in the process of swapping out my turn signals for a smaller set. They are not LED turn signals and the front is a 3 wire setup the rear is 2 wire.

I have the rear signals installed. The front signals are off the bike, the wires were cut but the new signals aren't installed yet. The wires are all separated and nothing is touching.

I wanted to test the rear turn signals before I tightened everything up. I have a bigger rear tire than stock and it's a tight fit in there to do any tweaking.. so I'd rather know they work before I finish up the rear install. (didn't pull the rear tire.. yes I know that would have been the best way to do this.. now that I did it the other way.. I really, really know).

When I turn the bike on (but don't start it) and hit the flashers.. both turn signals flash at the same time. (left and right rear). That doesn't seem right to me.. I'm using the existing connectors behind the tail light and just wired the new signals into those plugs. 1 turn signal - 1 plug. Nothing is shared between turn signals (each is wired to it's own plug just like stock).

I'm not sure if this is a issue with wiring, did I get it wired backwards? Would swapping the positive and negative wires make this happen?

Or is it because the front lights aren't installed (do they complete any type of circuit)? Or is it a flash relay or flash control module issue?

Thoughts/suggestions?

On a three wire install the new lights are red (+ flasher), solid black ( + small running filament), black wire w/white stripe (-) - on the bike they're Black, purple and blue. (black - ground/blue - running/purple - turn indicator)?

So Red to purple - black to blue - black with lines to black for the front lights installation?

Last edited by joshag; 05-05-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm not an electrical guy, but maybe the way you have the hazards wired in. Take my electrical knowledge with a grain of salt though.