Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motogadget Motoscope Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 596 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Katemo
I made it work thanks. My other question is how did you wire the warning light? If is not not much asking.
the oil pressure light?

Old 05-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Katemo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine light

Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Katemo
The engine light
Ah, for trouble codes? I never ended up hooking that one up (my bike has minimal electronics now, no speedo, etc). I'd have to guess you can splice that in to where the original check engine light ties in using a stock wiring diagram though.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:03 AM
883hp
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dudepants
Howdy Sportster crew, figured I’d do a quick review of the Motogadget Motoscope Mini I just installed on my 2004 XL883 in case anyone else was considering doing the same. Overall, I’m really happy with it. It cleans up a lot of wiring, looks really good and is easy to set up and navigate through the features.

For the install I bought the motoscope mini, the HD handlebar clamp mount for it and the M-Can that plugs right into the port behind the left side cover for ’04 and newer sportsters. For the wiring I used self-annealing tape which worked really well and was a lot easier than heat shrinking my solder joints.

The handlebar clamp: A well machined piece of aluminum with dummy LED lights built in. The wiring (along with the motoscope wires) are routed across the front of the bar much like the stock speedo and dummy lights. For the dummy lights, I wired both turns to one light, high/low beam, neutral, and oil warning light. This leaves one light where you could either wire right hand turn OR a vehicle warning light which I haven’t done yet. I’m not sure there is a way to read trouble codes with the motoscope, but I haven’t fully explored the options yet. If not, then that last “free” light will get wired for the right turn signal.

M-Can: This is optional, BUT I recommend it. Basically, this wires directly to the motoscope and plugs into the port located behind the left side cover negating the need to wire the speedo and tach into the stock set up. It made setup and wiring much easier and was really simple to zip tie to the stock harness running up to the speedo under the tank. Pretty much plug and play.

Motoscope mini: The read out is really simple and controlled by one momentary switch either of your choosing or that comes with the motoscope. I had bought some slightly larger momentary switches from Lowbrow customs. I drilled a hole in the ignition coil bracket to mount it so it’s slightly hidden but fairly easy to get to if I want to change the display function. You get speed, odometer, trip, tach and time (which I don’t use). In order to set up the speedo, I used the “learn” function, which was actually pretty easy. You just drive at 30 mph, hold the button for 2 seconds and it enters the learn mode for 5 seconds. As long as you stay at 30 for those 5 seconds, it will learn your speed. Once I did that it reads accurately which I tested against a GPS. The display is easy to read even on bright days. I love how it’s integrated into the bar clamp and really just gives a simple read out of information.

Drawbacks: One thing I haven’t figured out yet is if I can read trouble codes with it. There’s an option to wire in a warning light, but I haven’t figured out where the codes can be read. Maybe I can use the PC link with my Daytona TC88A to get the codes and clear them, which isn’t a big deal.
But the biggest drawback is the cost. With all three items I bought to set this up I spend a little under $550. You could get by cheaper coming up with a different mount and skipping the M-can. I really think the cost is worth what I got out of it though, the fit and finish is awesome and for what it does, I’m really happy with it.

For anyone considering the Motoscope, feel free to hit me up with questions.

Here are the links to the items I used to install:
Motoscope Mini: https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motoscope-mini.html
HD Handlebar Top Clamp (about halfway down the page): https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motos...l?tab=brackets
M-Can: https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-can...er-fur-hd.html
Lowbrow Customs momentary switch: https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/mini-...on-switch.html
Hi, i was reading this post and wanted to ask you for more information. Sorry for my bad English but i'm italian.
On the web I found several conflicting opinions for the compatibility between the TC88A and the Motogadget M-CAN OBD sensor.
I have a 2006 883R carburetor with kit 1275 Hammer Performance and TC88A
I have already purchased the motoscope mini and the M-CAN OBD sensor but before starting the installation I would like to confirm the operation.
I could still return everything to purchase other products compatible with my configuration

Many thanks for your time

Old 05-16-2021, 10:27 AM
883hp
Stage IV

Up!!!!

Old 05-17-2021, 06:51 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 883hp
Hi, i was reading this post and wanted to ask you for more information. Sorry for my bad English but i'm italian.
On the web I found several conflicting opinions for the compatibility between the TC88A and the Motogadget M-CAN OBD sensor.
I have a 2006 883R carburetor with kit 1275 Hammer Performance and TC88A
I have already purchased the motoscope mini and the M-CAN OBD sensor but before starting the installation I would like to confirm the operation.
I could still return everything to purchase other products compatible with my configuration

Many thanks for your time
@883hp Hey man, I can’t 100% confirm the M-CAN will work with the TC88A. I believe so, and I feel like I had them both installed when I put my Hammer 1250 kit in, but it’s be a long time. Sorry to not be much help

Old 05-17-2021, 08:13 AM
883hp
Stage IV

No problems, I keep looking