Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Sportster 883 start issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Wb_me406
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Sportster 883 start issue

Turned key lights were full power. Hit start switch, felt the start of engine turn over. Then all power gone.try key again and nothing no lights no click when turn key. Connection to battery is good, fuses ok. Should I start with starter relay or ignition switch? Guess I'm looking for next step pointers. Thanks

Last edited by Wb_me406; 05-01-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Old 05-02-2018, 03:35 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

First thing I would check is the charge on the battery. Then check the 30A (main) fuse. You say that the battery connections are good. Are you talking about how tight the bolts are or are you talking about how "clean" and tight they are. Sportsters are notorious for the neg. (-) terminal to come loose and then start arcing when you try to crank the engine over. You might want to remove both terminals from the battery and make sure the wire connector that actually touches the battery is clean (metal color) and shiny, not black an shiny. If it is black and shiny, take some sandpaper are clean them back down to a shiny metal. Then put some dielectric grease on the spade and the battery terminal and make sure they are tight (make sure not to over tighten though). You can also try swapping out the two relays and see if it now starts. How old is that battery and how long had it been sitting unused. If it is over 5 years old or has been sitting unused over the winter without a trickle charger hooked up, it may just be a bad battery, take it to an auto parts store or motorcycle shop and have it "load tested". The fact that you said that after one attempt, not only did the motor not turn over any more but the lights that you say were on full are now dead leads me to believe it is more a battery, battery contacts or main fuse that is likely the problem though. If it was a relay for the starter, then the lights should still be working (an the same holds true for the smaller, not main, fuses. Let us know what you find out it is.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

And when checking the cables check the connection at both ends to see if they are clean and tight. Also, sometimes the stud in the top of the engine case where the negative cable attaches comes loose. If you have changed battery cables in the past or removed that end of the negative cable check that. And if/when you do remove the negative cable from the engine stud be sure to put a wrench on it and make sure it is tight before installing the negative cable

Old 05-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Wb_me406
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
First thing I would check is the charge on the battery. Then check the 30A (main) fuse. You say that the battery connections are good. Are you talking about how tight the bolts are or are you talking about how "clean" and tight they are. Sportsters are notorious for the neg. (-) terminal to come loose and then start arcing when you try to crank the engine over. You might want to remove both terminals from the battery and make sure the wire connector that actually touches the battery is clean (metal color) and shiny, not black an shiny. If it is black and shiny, take some sandpaper are clean them back down to a shiny metal. Then put some dielectric grease on the spade and the battery terminal and make sure they are tight (make sure not to over tighten though). You can also try swapping out the two relays and see if it now starts. How old is that battery and how long had it been sitting unused. If it is over 5 years old or has been sitting unused over the winter without a trickle charger hooked up, it may just be a bad battery, take it to an auto parts store or motorcycle shop and have it "load tested". The fact that you said that after one attempt, not only did the motor not turn over any more but the lights that you say were on full are now dead leads me to believe it is more a battery, battery contacts or main fuse that is likely the problem though. If it was a relay for the starter, then the lights should still be working (an the same holds true for the smaller, not main, fuses. Let us know what you find out it is.
I checked the main fuse and it's good .the battery connection are clean (metal colored) and I checked borh ends of the geound wire. They also look clean and tight. I tried swapping the battery fuse cause it didn't look so good and it worked for a while then lost all electrical and died while going for a test ride. When I checked the fuse again while sitting on the side of the road. The fuse was loose I was able to ride him home but happenes again when I tried to start the next day. I turn the key all lights are go. The hit start there is a click and all electrical is gone again. I'm taking the battery in for a test in the morning if it's not I'll try a new main fuse. Pulled the spark plugs they seem a little dark to me but it's been a few years.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Wb_me406
I checked the main fuse and it's good .the battery connection are clean (metal colored) and I checked borh ends of the geound wire. They also look clean and tight. I tried swapping the battery fuse cause it didn't look so good and it worked for a while then lost all electrical and died while going for a test ride. When I checked the fuse again while sitting on the side of the road. The fuse was loose I was able to ride him home but happenes again when I tried to start the next day. I turn the key all lights are go. The hit start there is a click and all electrical is gone again. I'm taking the battery in for a test in the morning if it's not I'll try a new main fuse. Pulled the spark plugs they seem a little dark to me but it's been a few years.
FYI - The battery MUST be fully charged when you take it in for a Load Test.