Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best products to clean/wash my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 01:38 PM
Damus
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best products to clean/wash my bike?

just bought a H-D 2005, it looks they took good care of it mostly, however, looks like it never got washed properly, theres oil residue (looks black from dust, and what not), mostly on the area where oil filter is located, also under the engine and regular areas where it gets accumulated street residues that are picked up while riding, i want to make sure i use a good product that also won't brake the bank, a harley guy told me to use ever green, but just red in the forum that could damage finish or stain it.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,986 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Depending on the many different road surfaces there is a multitude of products required even if you don't use specific automotive ones.

Something to remove tar, something to remove brake dust, something to remove bird poo, something to remove bug spatter and finally something to remove dirt.

Once you get your bike clean then a good coat of wax or sealant or even one of the many new ceramic coatings to offer a long lasting layer that will make cleaning much easier in the future.

If the paint has swirl marks and you want to tidy it up then another range of products to polish the finish to a very high gloss before adding the wax or coating.

I do a bit of car detailing and so have many different products, some just to try and the regular stock of stuff that works for me.

For cleaning I use a pre-wash or snowfoam and then any of the car shampoo products will do a good job. I use the 2 bucket method to not reuse the dirty water to continue the wash process. I use an air blaster to dry the bike afterwards.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 04-29-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:52 PM
Damus
Stage IV
Default Ceramic coats

I’m wondering if those ceramic coats they sell are ok to be applied on the chrome of the bike.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,986 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Can't answer that. Ceramic coatings require a good day to cure and I don't have a garage for my car so I have never used them.

There is a technique for proper application and if you get it wrong it will be very difficult to get off to do it again.

I will stick to using Finish Kare FK1000P sealant. It works great on wheels and stops the brake dust from sticking so cleaning is a breeze. The stuff lasts for about 5 months so it very economical to use. Works on metal and glass, probably plastic as well where a wax wouldn't.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 04-29-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:15 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

just use Johnson's Baby Shampoo

Old 04-29-2018, 06:37 PM
Damus
Stage IV
Default Tnx!

I really appreciate the info! Thank you I’m trying to do best care possible, I’m in Minnesota and with the salt on the roads as an extra is hard to keep a ride looking good.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,332 Posts

What's best to clean the cylinders on a bare metal 883? Mine have lots of oxidation, and I was thinking some kind of vinegar/water mix might take some off?

John

Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
What's best to clean the cylinders on a bare metal 883? Mine have lots of oxidation, and I was thinking some kind of vinegar/water mix might take some off?

John
I just watch a YouTube video of a guy using Marvel Mystery Oil to clean that stuff up. He just used a towel to scrub it off.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailBrian
I just watch a YouTube video of a guy using Marvel Mystery Oil to clean that stuff up. He just used a towel to scrub it off.
Marvel Mystery oil is great at preventing oxidation, but it will not remove heavy oxdidation. Just remember to wipe it off before you crank up the engine or you'll smell burning oil.

Even better are the Never Dull pads, they can get into hard to reach places.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Sam_48
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

cquartz worked awesome for me. it lasted about 1 year with maintenance washes. This year I did it again but also had Xpel applied to the finish.

Quick Reply: Best products to clean/wash my bike?