Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Hose Leaking. whats it called? how to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:00 PM
McQueen
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Hose Leaking. whats it called? how to replace?

so in all honesty this seems pretty straightforward. theres a sleepless clip on one side. and the other is free to move but when i pull on it, it comes out about 2.5 inches to here;

and then i get resistance. can i just pull it out? anyone ever taken one out?

Also, whats it called so i can order the right part to replace it with.

heres some more pics;

Old 04-21-2018, 06:41 PM
normannewguy
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Oil Line, hard to tell from pics which one tho

Old 04-21-2018, 06:44 PM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Oil drain hose. I have to replace mine when the parts come in. I believe you have to remove the side cover to replace it, but will know more when my son gets off work and I get his manual from him.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:17 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

drain your oil tank, take the hose off, take the damaged hose to an auto parts store and tell them you want a hose to match, length and hose size. they'll give you a piece of rubber fuel line. take it home and reinstall with a screw clamp. it should be less than $5.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:22 PM
McQueen
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SoftailBrian
Oil drain hose. I have to replace mine when the parts come in. I believe you have to remove the side cover to replace it, but will know more when my son gets off work and I get his manual from him.
thanks! Yea let me know!

Old 04-21-2018, 10:24 PM
McQueen
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bagga
drain your oil tank, take the hose off, take the damaged hose to an auto parts store and tell them you want a hose to match, length and hose size. they'll give you a piece of rubber fuel line. take it home and reinstall with a screw clamp. it should be less than $5.
the “take there hose off” part is the part I’m wondering about. Can I just yank it out? I pull it up to about that point in the phot and there’s resistance.. like there’s something holding it in. Is it just a lip?

Old 04-21-2018, 10:27 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

It's probably crimped to the bottom spout.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:30 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by McQueen

the “take there hose off” part is the part I’m wondering about. Can I just yank it out? I pull it up to about that point in the phot and there’s resistance.. like there’s something holding it in. Is it just a lip?
A clamp is holding it on. Same as a CV boot clamp. You'll have to use a flat screwdriver to remove the clamp. You could save it, but they are not expensive to replace. Then it should just pull off.

Last edited by zal; 04-21-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:31 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by McQueen

thanks! Yea let me know!
My son got home from work late so I won't be able to look till tomorrow. I know that is the oil drain hose and got to looking at my bike again. If you look under your bike and locate the drain plug and watch it as you pull up and down on the hose that is leaking you can see the drain plug moving with the direction you are pulling. I'm thinking that if you remove the drain plug and drain the oil that hose will pull straight up and out of the top. Replacing the hose should be the same reversed.
I'll still double check the book tomorrow.

Last edited by SoftailBrian; 04-22-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:17 AM
McQueen
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SoftailBrian
My son got home from work late so I won't be able to look till tomorrow. I know that is the oil drain hose and got to looking at my bike again. If you look under your bike and locate the drain plug and watch it as you pull up and down on the hose that is leaking you can see the drain plug moving with the direction you are pulling. I'm thinking that if you remove the drain plug and drain the oil that hose will pull straight up and out of the top. Replacing the hose should be the same reversed.
I'll still double check the book tomorrow.
very helpful! I’ll Do the same and if it does that too I’ll feel confident about pulling it out.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: This Hose Leaking. whats it called? how to replace?