Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting for a big guy...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
duke0000
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting for a big guy...

Hi all... I'm new to the forums and have a few questions. First of all I am 6'7" tall pretty big guy around 225lbs. I want a Sporty mainly because i think they look the best, i have a race background and the sportster appeals to me in that way. I was just at the dealer here in NY and basically they told me no way with a sporty. I looked at wide glides and night trains and stuff like that but i'm kinda bummed if i can't get into a sportster.

Any way, is it possible to do some seat mods to fit a huge guy like me? Forward controls help but i need the seat slimmed and moved back. Let me know what you think.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Fitting for a big guy...

I'm 6'2" and ride a 1200C with no problem but 6'7" could be a problem. It depends on whether the bulk of the extra height is in your legs or torso. Generally speaking I don't think it's going to work comfortably.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 PM
STEG
Road Captain

The only way I figure is with a really tall seat (2 up touring, sundowner for some reason they dont make a tallboy for the sportster), foward controls, and drag bars with stock or low risers if thats even possible, probably taller shocks too...

Im 5'11 and im pretty comfy on mine but i dont think theres room for another 8 inches of person on that bike...

I know some people view the vrod as an ugly mutant but maybe a street rod or a VRSCX or even a VRSCA is the way to go. With your racing history i thought the 115 hp and the watercooled bike would have appealed to you? but i guess not all people dig the styling choices that were made? In my opinion the FXD Dyna superglide looks kinda like a sportster, but thats just my 2 cents. Not to shun you away from a sportster or anything, i just dont think that it would be all that comfortable to ride at your hieght even with all of the aforementioned stuff...

Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Im 6'5" and 6'6"+ in boots, I just bought a '07 883R, they sit a couple inches taller than the others and I jacked the supension to five. I don't feel like have a a lot of room but enough that it's comfortable to ride and on long trips I have highway pegs which help a lot.

I'd try and get into an 'R' or 'C' with forward controls and see how that fits. The 1200R is on the same frame so if you want a bit more power that's there too. The Nightster is off the 883L 'Low' frame so its pretty slammed. I also put a solo seat on my bike and that helped some, moved me back a few inches, mainly just for looks though. (See in pic below)

Just an FYI the 883R is discontinued this model year so '07 is the only EFI 883R there will be.

Good luck

Old 06-22-2007, 05:34 PM
duke0000
Stage III

Wow that's good info, i'm glad to find some big guys out there... I swear short people rule the world, try buying pants in my size...

Anyway i see you don't have forward controls on your bike... Any reason?

I was thinking that if i got a solo seat and reworked the fiberglass i could get it to fit more snug to the rear fender and then add forward controls and see how that fits. Although i really like the looks of the low's i think i should go with a standard. Get some BA drag bars and call it good enough.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:52 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You might set on one of the 1200C models (with forward controls) to see how they fit.

I'm 6'2", with a 34" inseam, and the factory forward controls on the 2005 1200C I owned were not that comfortable. Normally I rode with my heels sitting on top of the pegs, and if I kept the bike I was going to have some fabrication done to move the controls a few inches forward.

For some reason, besides the other 2004+ changes to the Sportsters, Harley decided to move the forward controls almost 2 inches closer to the rider. I guess they thought a lot of short legged people were going to be purchasing the bikes.

As you can see from the below pictures, the "forward controls" on the 2004+ Sportsters are only a extended a few inches from where the "mid controls" would mount. Guess I would call them "Mid-Forward Controls", and are probably fine for anyone with an inseam of 32" or shorter.

Just for comparison purposes, you can see how much more leg extension I have with the controls on my Dyna WideGlide. There is even more leg room on my Softail FatBoy with the combination of floorboards and frame mounted cruise arms.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't see anyone as tall as 6' ortaller being comfortable on a Sporty even with forward controls.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: duke0000

Hi all... I'm new to the forums and have a few questions. First of all I am 6'7" tall pretty big guy around 225lbs. I want a Sporty mainly because i think they look the best, i have a race background and the sportster appeals to me in that way. I was just at the dealer here in NY and basically they told me no way with a sporty. I looked at wide glides and night trains and stuff like that but i'm kinda bummed if i can't get into a sportster.

Any way, is it possible to do some seat mods to fit a huge guy like me? Forward controls help but i need the seat slimmed and moved back. Let me know what you think.
Why don't you just try one out on a test ride and see for yourself?

Kind of like trying on a hat or somethin' to see if it fits.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
TJ Willy
Tourer

For your saddle, contact Allen as MeanCityCycles.com. He specializes in taking stock HD seats and reshaping them. They are advertised to move you back, maintain your stock look, and provide comfort equal to the aftermarket seats. And don't ever let a dealer talk you into our OUT OF anything. They think with thier bank deposit slips.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:50 AM
duke0000
Stage III

Wow that is a great website, I've book marked it... Looks like that's exactly what i need.

Quick Reply: Fitting for a big guy...