Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my beloved sportster turned to scrap

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: my beloved sportster turned to scrap

ORIGINAL: eggroll

ORIGINAL: Zeb

Man oh man, one right after another.

Take care and heal up, dude.

BTW, 'not trying to tell anyone how to ride or to hijack this somber thread, but my advice is always keep your eyes on the front tires of the approaching cars, and not on anyone's eyes. If the tires start to move, be ready. Moving tires never lie.

What really angers me about this is that the kid apparently saw him, and pulled out anyway...
Good tip, Zeb. I'll be incorporating that into my bag of useful skills.

Wrenchff, I'm glad to hear you're OK. Sounds like a shiny new bike is in your future!

[/align]Watching/trustingother drivers'eyes while ridingis a dangerous practice/habitto engage in, no matter what you've been told in license manuals or at any motorcycle school. A person may appear to be looking directly at you, but actually be looking through you, not seeing you at all; and thereforerelying on trying to see and trustthe eyes of another is just an absolutely bad thing to do or to teach others.[/align][/align]Not only that, but how are you supposed to see someone's eyes when they're wearing shades, or when the sun is reflecting off of the window or windshield, or at night, etc.[/align][/align]The only way anyone should be riding defensively in regard to thisis to always watch the front tires of any vehicles that could come out into your path. If you see the tires turning or moving or both at the same time, then it's time to start using or tapping the brakes and to begin to be ready for evasive action.[/align][/align]I slow at the beginning of every intersection, and once I'm in the middle of it and I know no one can no longerturn in front of me, I then give it the gas to evacuate the second half of that intersection as fast as I can, in order to try and avoid someone else getting hit and then coming into me. I always try toapproach an intersection on the far right sideof the far left-hand lane, so I can avoid cars turning right into my path on the ride side, and to stay as far away in the left hand lane as possible to give me time to react to anyone turning left in front of me at the same intersection from the opposite direction of me. And I'm always looking back and forthat the front tires of both the car turning left in front of me, and the one turning right into my path, left, right, left again.[/align][/align]As I said before, tires never lie, and if they're moving, then the car is moving. If they're moving while turning, then the car is starting to turn in front of you, even though it may end upstopping its motion, and it's thentime to cover the brakesor evenlightly applythe brakes while moving father away in the lane,and be ready for evasive action, just in case.[/align][/align]Forget the crap you were taught about looking into other drivers' eyes, and just get into the good habit of watching their front tires instead, and you will be far safer. Tires never lie.[/align][/align]
Just some friendly advice.[/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align]

Old 06-22-2007, 05:34 PM
cnlwilliams
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teen drivers and bad judgement are one of the reasons my 17 year old daughter is attending the MSF class this Fall. I want her to see the road from a biker's point of view. If it saves just one accident then it will be worth the $25.

Glad you're gonna mend!!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Sorry to hear about your accident. I am glad you are going to be OK and are already up and about.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 PM
squintbo
Cruiser

Glad you're OK. Bikes seem to be equipped with excellent cloaking devices, and they are always engaged. I always tell myself I'm invisible to traffic.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:18 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man hope you have aspeedy recovery. No one likes to hear about someone getting hurt over a passion. You see to often distracted drivers not paying attention or taking risks that they just dont have to.....The other story of the guy with the shorts......and not being seen....Here is one of those cases where maybe just maybe a bright colored vest like from ICON may have helped?...maybe?...those flouresent colors may look ugly but so doesnt road rash and the look of your scooter under someones car.....i wear mine.....and im hoping it gives me an edge over say someone who is wearing black....after all the icon vests are not expensive....and if it makes you more visible its worth every dime.....

Old 06-23-2007, 01:20 AM
04XL1200C
Tourer

Glad you are okay

Old 06-23-2007, 09:00 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A speedy recovery...

Charlie D.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get better real soon.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:02 AM
salzy
Advanced

man if this doesn't hit close to home. I just got back to work full time after the very same thing happened to me about a month ago. It's hard to look at the front tires of a car when they pull out in front of you from out of nowhere. thankfully my scoot was fixable and I used the accident to give mea reason to add extra goodies to the ole girl. take it easy, kick back and let the meds help the healing. are you planning on getting another bike or fixing yours?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:45 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Imho, any bike accident is life threatening. And anytime you survive you are fortunate, period. Unfortunetly there are far too many people in 4 wheelers out there who 'fail to see' or 'think they have to time to pull out'.....

Thinking you can go out on a relaxing bike ride is a misnomer. Its also a recipe for disaster. And its not right, but its the way it is in todays world. I am always on the lookout, and whenever I see a vehicle which could turn out or pull out, I watch their wheels. Even the slightest rotation or movement is obvious to see and (hopefully) will give me time to react. But that type of situation is just a 'grain of sand' in the box of possible scenarios where we 2 wheelers fall prey to the unresponsible driving habits of others.....especially the one where the other driver is on the frikken cell phone......[:@]

Thanks God you made it and hopefully everything turns out for the best....

Quick Reply: my beloved sportster turned to scrap