Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Limiter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:29 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by northshore_paul
I was looking at your photos on the link you provided...very nice, the bike also! lol
BTW I was looking at your tachometer. Is that stock or an add on?
That is standard on the Roadster, all I did was move it down to the location that the headlight visor used to attach.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Jak_Rak
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, that chart is way off, at least for my '16.

I'll have to attach the helmet cam and get more readings throughout the RPM/speed range, but in 3rd gear at 3300 I'm doing about 50, not 29-30. And 50 mph in 4th gear is around 2700 rpm, not 4500-4600.

Last edited by Jak_Rak; 04-06-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

northshore_paul: If you are looking for a tach upgrade to your existing dash (and have a budget for it), I really like this H-D gauge. I'm not sure how accurate the fuel gauge part is yet but otherwise, it's brilliant. I have not dug into the instructions yet to find out all it does.... but it's a quality piece.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 PM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

That is a nice looking unit! Is that one you have or a picture only?
I see you are in Nova Scotia or as we in Louisiana say, L'Acadie. My brother and I made a trip there a couple of years ago near Church Point and the area the Acadians came from. One of our ancestors that we traced is buried there and his descendants found their way to Louisiana by way of France.
My wife and some friends will be spending a week in Quebec this August and looking forward to it. It will be a nice reprieve from the August heat of Louisiana.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:17 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer

That is a nice looking unit! Is that one you have or a picture only?
I see you are in Nova Scotia or as we in Louisiana say, L'Acadie. My brother and I made a trip there a couple of years ago near Church Point and the area the Acadians came from. One of our ancestors that we traced is buried there and his descendants found their way to Louisiana by way of France.
My wife and some friends will be spending a week in Quebec this August and looking forward to it. It will be a nice reprieve from the August heat of Louisiana.
That gauge came on my bike when I bought it used at a dealer here. Previous owner, bless his heart, left some pricey little gifts on this bike.

Wow! Small world eh? I live in rural NS... on ground the Acadiens first farmed, pretty close to where the infamous Expulsion happened. Two minutes from here:

I spend a lot of time near Church Point (further west from my home) doing business. I am not french myself but I love the Acadien accents... I respectfully refer to it as Franglish.
The culture is alive and well here. The people from the "french shore" in NS are the nicest you'll find anywhere and it's a pleasure to deal with them. I prefer to work in these areas as opposed to the city. I'm really glad you brought it up and I can speak about it. Have fun in Quebec!

Last edited by underwhelmd; 04-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 PM
northshore_paul
Cruiser

Site of the expulsion, Grand Pre, if my memory serves me correctly. I visited the site there and the museum. It was a pleasant surprise hearing people speaking French as the old timers do here in Louisiana. We visited the Universite de Ste. Anne and spoke with the professor in charge of the French immersion program. He knows Louisiana well and makes frequent trips here from Acadia (a region in southwest La.) recruiting students for their summer program.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:10 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer

Yes, Grand Pre. It's just over the hill from here. There is a view park off the highway overlooking the scene of the painting above. This is from 2015 but it's the same now. I like to stop there and have a coffee. Good place to clear the head-

Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 PM
northshore_paul
Cruiser

I would like to do so on my bike....but it would take me a week to get there. :- )

Old 04-06-2018, 08:45 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer

I would like to do so on my bike....but it would take me a week to get there. :- )

You can follow the old highway (#1) from here all the way to the western end of the province and beyond which goes through most of the Acadien population areas along the shoreline. That's basically my work route... 700Km round trip not including stops. Aside from Cape Breton (other end of the province), it's the best scenery and riding to be had here. Roads are good, people are finest kind, food is great. I plan on using my bike often on these roads this summer.

Yes, a week to get here from there....

Old 04-06-2018, 08:53 PM
northshore_paul
Cruiser

And avoiding the interstates! What is the riding season, May through mid October?

Quick Reply: Rev Limiter.