Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burly Brand Sport Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 04:18 PM
BeardTillDeath
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to compare the quarter fairing and the Burly Sport Fairing

The following users liked this post:
jlb2782 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:18 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by BeardTillDeath
Just to compare the quarter fairing and the Burly Sport Fairing

Looks great. I love the height of it. And the way that looks. I'm not sure about the flares on the sides, but they're not terrible.

Few questions if you don't mind.

What type of helmet do you wear?? Full face/half/none?? Just wondering if you get buffeting. I have the gauntlet fairing from memphis shades and get no buffeting. Any other type of larger shield, I tend to get buffeting.

Do you look through it, or over it??

Your headlight looks to sit back in. Correct?? Does it affect night vision??

Last one. Can you remove it quick if you want to ride without it, or is it a pain in the ***??

Thanks for the help and posting pics. Looks great.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:25 PM
BeardTillDeath
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlb2782
Looks great. I love the height of it. And the way that looks. I'm not sure about the flares on the sides, but they're not terrible.

Few questions if you don't mind.

What type of helmet do you wear?? Full face/half/none?? Just wondering if you get buffeting. I have the gauntlet fairing from memphis shades and get no buffeting. Any other type of larger shield, I tend to get buffeting.

Do you look through it, or over it??

Your headlight looks to sit back in. Correct?? Does it affect night vision??

Last one. Can you remove it quick if you want to ride without it, or is it a pain in the ***??

Thanks for the help and posting pics. Looks great.
I wear a full face 99% of the time and yes there is some buffeting but not too bad. I prefer that over direct wind. Big plus to that though, almost no bugs in my faceshield!
You can't look through it, its completely solid. I'm a towering 5'7'' and I have no problem looking right over it.
The headlight does sit back, I did not feel like relocating it and it does not affect the operation what so ever.
Definitely cant remove it quick. Four bolts hold the shield itself onto the brackets and the brackets are held on to the forks with brackets and worm clamps.
I was hesitant also because of the flare outs but it looks way more drastic in pictures than in person.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

I wear a full face 99% of the time and yes there is some buffeting but not too bad. I prefer that over direct wind. Big plus to that though, almost no bugs in my faceshield!
You can't look through it, its completely solid. I'm a towering 5'7'' and I have no problem looking right over it.
The headlight does sit back, I did not feel like relocating it and it does not affect the operation what so ever.
Definitely cant remove it quick. Four bolts hold the shield itself onto the brackets and the brackets are held on to the forks with brackets and worm clamps.
I was hesitant also because of the flare outs but it looks way more drastic in pictures than in person.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I am 5'8 so it would be about the same for me. This is definitely intriguing.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM
BeardTillDeath
Advanced

So I had to update this thread because about 2 weeks ago the Burly fairing cracked. It has 4 mounting points where the mounting hardware mounts to the fairing itself. 3 of 4 of those mounting points cracked and 1 completely broke off of the fairing itself.
I don't believe it had to do with the quality of the fairing and more with the vibration from a solid mounted engine and the way I mounted the fairing. I would still recommend this fairing but I would definitely recommend some kind of rubber washers or bushings to cut down on the vibration, especially for those solid mounted sportys out there.
I notified Burly Brand and they were more than willing to replace any broken parts. I can't say enough good things about Burly Brand, they absolutely back their products!
I decided to go back to a quarter fairing, but this time I went with the Gauntlet faring from Memphis Shades because I like the way it all mounts together on the bike. It has 4 rubber mounting points on the fairing itself and the docking hardware has rubber bushings for the mounting hardware from the fairing. Mounts just like most of the HD windshields that are available for a sporty.
All in all though I am very happy with the Burly fairing. It absolutely added a lot of wind protection and it changes the look of the bike, it gets lots of looks. I think if you're running a rubber mounted engine or install the fairing with some rubber components to cut down on vibration, you won't regret the purchase, and rest assured that Burly will back their product if something does go wrong.

The following users liked this post:
jlb2782 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 03:47 PM
cchuck3537
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the fairing installed as well. Over 4,000 miles on install and no issues but I do have a rubber mounted sporty.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:05 PM
BeardTillDeath
Advanced

Originally Posted by cchuck3537
I have the fairing installed as well. Over 4,000 miles on install and no issues but I do have a rubber mounted sporty.
It is a great fairing isn't it? I'm positive that if I had a rubber mounted sporty the fairing would still be holding on. I miss the fairing, the Gauntlet is nice but doesn't offer the protection that the Burly Sport Fairing does!

Old 01-31-2019, 06:03 PM
Bongiorni706
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this fairing isn’t worth it. I bought it it came in the shield was broke so I figured I’d fix it since JP is the worst instead of just replacing it when I clearly have pictures and proof of the box and fairing broke they want me to miss work meet a ups guy and sign a statement etc. anyways the instructions are hands down the worst instructions ever. The shield is pitch black and that’s the dumbest idea ever. I’m 6’ and I hate it. I asked burly if they sell a see through one they said we don’t offer and don’t plan on making one. The shield has no support for being as tall as it is I know for a fact it will snap off

Last edited by Bongiorni706; 01-31-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 AM
cchuck3537
Tourer

It is a great fairing isn't it? I'm positive that if I had a rubber mounted sporty the fairing would still be holding on. I miss the fairing, the Gauntlet is nice but doesn't offer the protection that the Burly Sport Fairing does!
Yes, the fairing was great. I road about 6,000 miles with it before trading my sportster in. I kept the fairing in hopes I could retrofit it on my sport glide... The height was great and really made the sportster much more capable for longer rides. Never had any issues with it what so ever. I also didn't even get it painted as the ABS finish was solid.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:26 AM
cchuck3537
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bongiorni706
I think this fairing isn’t worth it. I bought it it came in the shield was broke so I figured I’d fix it since JP is the worst instead of just replacing it when I clearly have pictures and proof of the box and fairing broke they want me to miss work meet a ups guy and sign a statement etc. anyways the instructions are hands down the worst instructions ever. The shield is pitch black and that’s the dumbest idea ever. I’m 6’ and I hate it. I asked burly if they sell a see through one they said we don’t offer and don’t plan on making one. The shield has no support for being as tall as it is I know for a fact it will snap off

Sorry to hear that you had such bad customer service with receiving an broken fairing. The instructions were a bit lacking but nothing a little trail and error didn't fix for me

In regards to the pitch black shield, I am surprised that you would have thought it was anything other than pitch black as the do not try to hide that in the marketing of the fairing. Most sites mention that you cannot see through the fairing. I too was nervous that the support brackets we too low for such a tall fairing but never found that to be an issue even on 300mile one way trips. Actually my custom windshield for my sport glide is about as high and it too does not have any special supports for the upper portion.

Not sure you would no for a fact it will snap off as many people own the fairing and not many accounts of it "snapping off" but maybe the quality control on the fairings are lacking? As I am a sample size of 1 and maybe got a good one and you got a bad one? Not sure but would love to hear from some more folks on fairing quality as well.

Since I no longer have my sportster (traded it in for a sport glide) I would totally be willing to ship you my fairing at no cost other than shipping for you to keep if you wanted to ever give it another go.

Wish you all the best and ride safe!

Quick Reply: Burly Brand Sport Fairing