Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Night and Day goggles - terrible!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Tegne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Night and Day goggles - terrible!

Has anyone else purchased the Harley-Davidson branded day/nightgoggles with transition lenses? If so, any positive comments?

I have used my new pair(which weren't cheap!) for two days in a rowand while I like the overall look, shape and comfort, the lensesseem absolutely hopeless. I have ridden in bright sunshine and still have to squint like crazy - particularly dangerous in the morning when the sun is still low. Even after about 10 minutes in brightsunshine, thedarkest they got was probably 20% of a standard set of sunglasses. [:@]

I bought them thinking that they would be practical to use anytime with an open face helmet. As I don't need regular glasses, this is my first pair of transition lenses. Perhaps this is a known problem with this technology?

Comments?

Old 06-21-2007, 06:56 AM
MidWest XL
Tourer
Default RE: Harley Night and Day goggles - terrible!

I don't have any experience with "transition" lenses, but a co-worker has them on his regular glasses and he says they never seem to get dark enough for outside use. Is it too late to take them back?

Pick up a couple of pairs of MC Glasses from these guys: Best MC Glasses

I have the smoke, amber & clear versions. I keep the clear ones in my toolbag if it's going to get dark before I get back home. They are great glasses, especially for the $$ ($15 each)

Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Tegne
Cruiser

I am a new H-D owner (about two months now) and unfortunately got myself caught up in themarketing machine. I'm sober again. Rather than buyingmy gogglesfrom the local 'stealership', I got them online from aneBay store. I don't think that I'll be able toreturn them. My wife threwaway the box ...

Perhaps I'll just go to a local optician and get them to cut me someregular sunglasses lens that fit. What a waste of money. I won't even say what these thingscost, but it was a lot more than the$15 you mention MidWest XL!! [&o]

Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 AM
capnjimswench
Stage II

I have a pair and have no complaints, in the sunlight or at night. They get nice and dark in the sun. Don't have a solution for you, maybe take them back to the dealer for the answer. I really like mine [8D]!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I have regular prescription glasses with transition lenses and I find they are not effective in sunlight. It's my first pair of transition lenses, and will be my last...

Old 06-21-2007, 08:26 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

years ago I bought some photo-grey sunglasses. These were the earlier transitions. They never really got dark like sunglasses.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:52 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If have these goggles. I'd say I've logged about 16,000 miles wearing them, and I love em.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...E=JIREH_CYCLES

They come withdark smoked, amber, and clear set of lenses. These can quickly be changed out. They can also be worn as glasses or goggles with a quick change out of the ear piece. They also come with a carry pouch, which I never use. But for $15.95 I think they're hard to beat, and this company is great to buy from.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM
BLade1127
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the $125 set of transition glasses at the dealer, and I think they're awesome.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sit them out in the bright sun all day,facing up. This will activate them and after that they will get dark as sunglasses are

Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 PM
RICHE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked out those same goggles at the dealer last weekend but they were 150 bucks.I didnt feel like shelling out that much for something I might not like.I ended up buying some from an Indie shop.There called CurvZ,only 30 bucks and they work great.Sorry to here they didnt work out for ya.

Quick Reply: Harley Night and Day goggles - terrible!