Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First-time buying advice needed, please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM
anewharley
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First-time buying advice needed, please

I am aware that everybody has opinions, and I guess I am looking for those in addition to some guidance. This would be my first bike purchase, and as such I am fairly nervous about the process altogether (financial stuff basically...I want to avoid as many "surprises"/pitfalls as I possibly can).

I have about $7000 total , and found a (seemingly very) sound 2004 1200 Custom for that price with 4000 miles on it. The bike has many add-ons: drag pipes, rear fender option, rider/passenger pegs, grips, windshield, backrest, professional pinstriping ,possible something else I am forgetting here. What I am looking for here is some assistance in things I need to look out for. I had the dealer (NOT a harley dealer, but a custom bike shop that took the bike as trade on one of its trikes) start it, and the engine seemed to run rough and vibrate a lot (granted it is a harley and was cold--I was told it had been a couple days since being started,) but not really having a lot of experience, I am not 100% on what is acceptable and what is not. It vibrated about the same as my neighbor's 2002 Low Rider does before warmed up, if that helps at all.

Outside of that, I did not notice any leaks of any sort or anything amiss; the bike seems flawless visably. What do you guys think of this deal; too good to pass up or something has to be wrong? Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for on this particular year and model (I know it's the first year for rubber-mounted engines and there were other "tweaks" involved)?
It is a couple hours ride to where the dealer is located and the closest HD dealer is over an hour away from there (thought about having it checked out there before possibly buying, but don't know if the dealer'd go for it).

I have the purchase ok'd by my wife, but she is concerned of the bike's age and corresponding lack of warranty (and I am a little as well, but not as much...I figure the low miles mean there is a lot less chance of things being/going wrong with it, as well as it's a Harley, so it's made better than the rest). I thought (very) briefly on an extended warranty, but found it overly expensive and likely would never pay for itself. My wife mentioned perhaps I'd be better off buying a new 2007 Honda VT750C2 for the same price and adding to (pipes, etc,) as I could afford to; then I'd at least have some warranty). I am torn; she makes sound logic, but I'd LOVE to have the Harley. On the other side of things, it's 750 vs. 1200--not a very even fight. I'm thinking the 750 could get boring soon (and have heard the same,) and figure I'd never tire of the Harley--I plan on riding strictly solo, to work weather-permitting, and on the occasional day trips.

Another question; how would those 2 bikes compare in maintenance; I had HD telling me the metrics are more expensive and Honda telling me Harleys are more expensive to keep up. Who's lying?
Also, Honda told me Harley's still leak oil bad; I'd thought that was over with when the family bought the company back...

Well, that is about it; this decision is killing me (damn near literally,) so I need you guys' input here (yes, I do know it is an HD board here:P please keep in mind when replying that although I pick things up very fast, I am not currently mechanically inclined at all (though would like to learn). I have already went through the riding course and have my endorsement as well...hoping to become part of the family soon:/.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:00 PM
STEG
Road Captain
Default RE: First-time buying advice needed, please

I'd say 7000 is more than fair for that bike, a new one with all that could be over 14,000+ out the door, and with 4000 miles on it its pretty low mileage, I too have just purchased a bike recently with damn near 4,000 on the odometer with half the options yours had on it for 5200 with a small warranty and tax included, but the bike was more than twice as old as yours (2000) and it was a base 883 not a 1200 custom...

And im no expert on paint but Pinstriping a painted part means getting all of the paint that was already on there, off, repainting it and then pinstriping it before clearcoating it so thats like a 750$ job. I

Im just worried about the "rear fender option"... unless It looks like this kinda rear fender:

They're lying to you (unless there really was one then please correct me someone, but im 99% sure there wasnt)

So just to put this in prespective the bike i bought in the same season as you will be, is 4 years older than yours, stock paint, no rubber mounts for the engine to help with vibration, no grips, no rider footpegs, no passenger footpegs, no passenger footpeg mounts, no "custom paint", no backrest, and no windshiled for 1800$ less than the one your'e looking at.

As for the extra parts youll get with the bike, i'd estimate all the peg stuff costing 150$, grips 80$, widshield 300$, paint 750$, backrest plus sissy bar at 150$ and a bobtail fender for 350$, so combine all that you get 1780$ (im no math wiz but thats what i got in my head), (I had saddlebags on my bike when i got it but you have way more chrome on the one your buying so im going to cancel them both out), but dont forget that you have 317 more cc's to tack onto that.

So for the price difference of 20$ your paying over what I paid, you get a newer bike with less mileage with a rubber mounted engine and 1200ccs

hope I was of some help and didnt confuse you too much

Old 06-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

Hard to say without actually being there to see and feel the bike. But it doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
Since the wife won't ride, the Sporty would be good. If she plans on riding, you need to move up in class.
Don't let the dealer service it. Spend $60 for the service manual and DIY.
The EVO motors are sound engines. I haven't seen any of em marking their territory.
You want the bike? Man, what the hell you waiting on?!

Old 06-20-2007, 04:54 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the color you want and the model you want go for it (don't settle on this because you will regret it the next day). The engines do vibrate like mad when warming up - its cool to see it jumping around in the frame though [8D] I wouldn't worry much about the warranty. From what I hear, it's a headache to get anything covered under warranty anyway - except major items, and those failures are rare.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I bought the wife a sporty (883l) with around 5000 miels on it used for a good price from a private party. She has had it for 6 months now without a problem. Just keep in mind there are tons of used sporty's for sale in cycletrader.com, hdtrader.com, and from other sources like ebay. It is a buyers market with used harley's...

Old 06-20-2007, 05:03 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If you're worried about the vibration being normal vs excessive on the 04, go back to the dealer and tell them you are also thing about buying a new spprty instead of a used one and get them to let you demo ride an 07. That way you can compare the two and know if the 04 has a vibration problem. The 04 & up sporties are all rubber mounted and should not differ much in vibration.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:39 PM
x2lee
Banned

you can buy a 2007 883 for 6595
you can buy a 07 1200 for 8695.

ORIGINAL: cHarley

If you're worried about the vibration being normal vs excessive on the 04, go back to the dealer and tell them you are also thing about buying a new spprty instead of a used one and get them to let you demo ride an 07. That way you can compare the two and know if the 04 has a vibration problem. The 04 & up sporties are all rubber mounted and should not differ much in vibration.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:47 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

Your wife makes sense. It's so LOGICAL. I'm not beingsarcastic, here. Unfortunately,a bike purchase is equally emotional, also.The bike should "speak" to you. So here's the proposition. Get a used VT750, and get used to riding. MSF course if u haven't already. Pay cash for the darn thing...do NOT finance the bike.Then as soon as it's in your driveway start saving up for a Harley. IMMEDIATELY, because you won't keep that bike till next spring. Honda's break rarely and they are very user friendly. But the service prices on them are expensive. Service prices are comparable to Harleys, AFAIK. Valve adjustments every 4K miles. I currently ride one, in fact. Great little bike. I started riding Nov. 06, and am looking to upgrade already. To what? Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low.

So approach your wife with the proposition: A $4-5K used Honda,THEN a Harley within 12 months? Or THIS bike NOW? Which is cheaper? The Harley now, because you won't have gone through the Honda first. And you WILL get a Harley eventually anyway. Why not start now?

The bottom line with me is I don't care what you ride...just that you ride.

Teek

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It allways amazes me how many people worry about buying a used bike or car. The fact is that any motor vehicle with 4000 miles on it is just getting broken in. I have bought 1 vehicle new in my life, I'm 49, and it was in the shop and required just as much maintenance as any used vehicle i've ever bought.

All so when you look at the savings of used verses new you can do a hell of a lot of repairs or upgrades for the price difference. I allso allways pay cash and then pay the monthly payment back to myself so when I want something else the money is always there.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 AM
principalman
Advanced

Hello,
I took the plunge a few weeks ago. Like you, I had around $7,000 to spend, but opted for using the $ as a down payment on a new 07'. I found a 1200C around an hour away in Nashville. This bike had been customized by the Harley Dealer there. I can understand how you feel about buying used, as I never do so in cars. My bike does not have many of the options that you described, but does have electronic fuel injection. You NEED to drive a sporty that has it. They start instantly, and run like something you can't imagine. I have owned several metric cruisers (Yamaha, Honda) before, and can tell you my Sporty is far better.

My bike is great for driving by yourself. The 1200 Custom comes with a great deal of chrome already. Mine has custom wheels, belt guards, battery & oil cover, LCD taillight, lay down license plate, and a few other chrome pieces. I was originally interested in an electraglide standard. Fell in love with the 1200 when I took it for a 1 mile test ride. With the down payment, I ended up financing the rest, with payments that don't break the bank.

Like the others, I would suggest that you follow your heart and not what's "logical". I knew I would only own one Harley, and am glad I got what I wanted. You should drive a new one and look at pictures of others. Good luck!

Quick Reply: First-time buying advice needed, please