Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairings and sportsters

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:46 AM
kingkupal1
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Knock off of the HD Quarter Fairing, $56 on Amazon vs the original $339.

Originally Posted by ryguylears
What fairing is that? I like the look

The following users liked this post:
Jed Clampett (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I know that isn't true throughout the USA!
Well, I guess that depends on your idea of "riding weather year around". For me, here in NM, on any average year, I MIGHT not be able to ride ONE-FIVE days, and usually the lower. If that's not "riding weather year round", then I don't know what is. Most of that, however, is dependent on your gear, and how WILLING you are to "brave" the "elements". For instance, my wife does NOT want to ride if it's raining, snowing, or temps are below 60 degrees, but I've ridden down to 13 degrees, so far, including through snow and slush on the roads, though I wear long johns when it's below 40, and use electric gloves or liners with my thick leathers below freezing. This makes the ride comfortable, no matter the temps, so the only limitation on riding is due to the road conditions, which are almost always "decent" to "great", occasionally wet, and rarely dangerously slick or covered in snow.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Eddy883c
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
Well, I guess that depends on your idea of "riding weather year around". For me, here in NM, on any average year, I MIGHT not be able to ride ONE-FIVE days, and usually the lower. If that's not "riding weather year round", then I don't know what is. Most of that, however, is dependent on your gear, and how WILLING you are to "brave" the "elements". For instance, my wife does NOT want to ride if it's raining, snowing, or temps are below 60 degrees, but I've ridden down to 13 degrees, so far, including through snow and slush on the roads, though I wear long johns when it's below 40, and use electric gloves or liners with my thick leathers below freezing. This makes the ride comfortable, no matter the temps, so the only limitation on riding is due to the road conditions, which are almost always "decent" to "great", occasionally wet, and rarely dangerously slick or covered in snow.
i drive in 20 degree weather all the time, I got use to it

Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 AM
JimmyL
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I ride the bike enough to where I don't have to worry about the battery going dead. I can usually get out for a half hour or so, at least once a week in January and February. I did take the bike out in 20 degree weather when I first got it. I definitely don't like riding in rain, sand, wet leaves or God forbid snow.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,188 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkupal1
Knock off of the HD Quarter Fairing, $56 on Amazon vs the original $339.
Plastic is plastic. Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one for my Roadster. They have 14 left supposedly. As with everything with the Roadster, I'll have to fab the mounts.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 AM
kingkupal1
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jed Clampett
Plastic is plastic. Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one for my Roadster. They have 14 left supposedly. As with everything with the Roadster, I'll have to fab the mounts.
True. Post a pic once you've installed it.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:29 PM
AMP'd
Cruiser
Received 126 Likes on 55 Posts

I also went with a quarter fairing knock off from amazon. Surprised by the good quality and durability considering the price point.
I did paint it matte black and also blacked out the top clear lens. Does a good job of shielding a lot of the wind from blowing into my chest and shoulders.

Attached Thumbnails Fairings and sportsters-img_3705.jpg   Fairings and sportsters-img_3738.jpg   Fairings and sportsters-img_3739.jpg  
Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Grey_Beard
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm 6'1" and getting too old to be beaten by the wind. Had the standard HD q-d shield but it caused too much helmet buffeting to be comfortable on long rides (Bell revolver modular). Got a shield from Clearview utilizing the HD q-d mounts, a little taller with recurve, a little wider, and a 5 position vent. Now I get no helmet buffeting, don't get battered by the wind, and can let the air in when I want. Pegged the speedo at 120 and the sporty ran straight as an arrow (just once was enough). Now my 75-85 highway commuter speed is more enjoyable.

Attached Thumbnails Fairings and sportsters-20171220_183247.jpg  
Pete Robertson (05-08-2019)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:11 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,342 Likes on 3,219 Posts

My son and I are planning on riding down and doing the Dragon in June. I had a National Cycle Flyscreen on the VLX, and took it off before trading it on the Sportster.

I had a dark tint screen on the VLX, and I forgot it originally came with a clear one that I had stored away. I pulled it out and mounted it on the Sportster with the clear screen, can't really tell it's even on the bike other than the chrome band across the lower part of the screen.

Though small (I hate large wind screens), it does knock the wind off your chest and direct most of it over my head. Should help during the ride down to North Carolina.

Last edited by firehawk6; 03-14-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,188 Likes on 936 Posts

My $56 Amazon knock off installed with the laminar lip and my other little wind thing. Par for the Roadsters, YOU have to figure out how to mount, very few accys. made specifically for this bike.

Attached Thumbnails Fairings and sportsters-img_2650.jpg  
Pete Robertson (05-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Fairings and sportsters